Most Overrated Movies You've Seen

-Lost in Translation. A well made film from a technical standpoint, and Bill Murray's performance was great, but it was tough-to-sit-through boring.

-A History of Violence. A solid thriller but I couldn't believe it was on critics' year-end "best of" lists.

I agree with those :up: My immediate thought after Lost in Translation was "that's it?"

Do I dare say the first movie that came to my mind when I saw the title of this thread?......

The Avengers.. Don't get me wrong, I think it was okay. I just feel like people made it out to be more that what it really was.

Donnie Darko and Boondock Saints. I'll never understand how either of those became cult classics in the "film school" crowd. They both came across so try-hard-y to me.

Last edited:
Inception
Not a bad movie but no where near the hype it got, Nolan has made far better movies which haven't recieved a fraction of the recognition this movie has. I actually saw the movie twice in theatres to see if I missed what the big deal was about. This movie wont stand the test of time like Blade Runner (for example).

The Hurt Lucker
Best picture? Seriously? This movie had me so bored I could only watch it in 15 minute chunks. Seriously pushed my 'watch every movie to the end regardless of how rubbish' rule to the absolute LIMIT.

I agree with Boondock Saints. I know tons of people who love that movie (I live in Boston), I never did. I always thought it was s***. Disagree with Donnie Darko.

Terry Gilliam's films. A couple pretty good ones, but holy **** are they overhyped.

Pixar
Imho Incredibles, Ratatouille and the Toy Story trilogy deserve the hype, every other movie including Wall-E, Up, Finding Nemo are seriously overrated. In general their (Pixar) movies (apart from the 5 movies I mentioned) have poor 3rd acts. Wall-E goes down hill when they leave earth, Up goes down hill after the montage etc.

Pixar's name gives them a 'pass' with a lot of their movies and Dreamworks' name gives them a 'ding' with a lot of their movies. Imho How to train your dragon is better than a lot of Pixar movies.

Star Wars.
Yea It's one of my favorite films but the way some people talk about it you'd think it was their religion.

Million Dollar Baby
This movie just pissed me off with the tone shift. Oscar bait that just GAH.

Batman Begins
Brilliant Act 1 and Act 2 but Act 3 is tedious and I was completely checked out of the movie, just wanted the movie to end. I'd argue the same (to a lesser extent) with Iron Man and TDK, the end of TDK is just plain indulgent on the part of the director.

Pixar
Imho Incredibles, Ratatouille and the Toy Story trilogy deserve the hype, every other movie including Wall-E, Up, Finding Nemo are seriously overrated.
I didn't watch the Chef Rat film, but I would agree here about everything else

Léo Ho Tep;23505063 said:
Green Lantern.
:lmao:

I was disappointed by Wall-e as well. But I'll tell you what movie was underrated. It was Howard the Duck.

Batman Begins
Brilliant Act 1 and Act 2 but Act 3 is tedious and I was completely checked out of the movie, just wanted the movie to end. I'd argue the same (to a lesser extent) with Iron Man and TDK, the end of TDK is just plain indulgent on the part of the director.

I agree with the Batman Begins part.

Like I LOVE TDK. One of my all time favorite movies (top 10). But I cant for the life of me finish Batman Begins in one sitting. It's like i get sucked into the first two acts, then when Batman gets to Arkham I start to fall asleep.

I tried to watch it last night and i turned it off at the same spot as usual. I try really hard to enjoy the movie, and I love Chris Nolan, but this movie is highly overated to me.

I'd probably give it a 6.5/10 for me. Maybe if I'm in the right mood it'd be a 7/10.

I agree with the Batman Begins part.

Like I LOVE TDK. One of my all time favorite movies (top 10). But I cant for the life of me finish Batman Begins in one sitting. It's like i get sucked into the first two acts, then when Batman gets to Arkham I start to fall asleep.

I tried to watch it last night and i turned it off at the same spot as usual. I try really hard to enjoy the movie, and I love Chris Nolan, but this movie is highly overated to me.

I'd probably give it a 6.5/10 for me. Maybe if I'm in the right mood it'd be a 7/10.

Don't get me wrong TDK imho is the best superhero movie ever made but c'mon, 20 minutes could (and probably SHOULD) have been shaved off act 3.

Anything made by Hayao Miyazaki, I'm not fond of his work

I really couldn't sit through the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Romero's Night of the Living dead. Those 2 just bored the hell out of me. Plus,I've never gotten the humor of Mel Brooks. I find him and his films SO unfunny. Spaceballs was amusing,but that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"