My room and collection

Amen, Charles!

Alright, MWM, here's some answers fer ya. Note, I COULD be wrong but I'm pretty sure I'm not:

CGC is a co that grades yer comics an' seals 'em up so they can never be read again an' retain their current condition. Sucks fer readers but great fer old comics that could be lost forever.

In short: no. There's nothin' different between prints except value. Second prints're usually less valuable than th' first an' just meant there was such a demand fer it they hadda go an' print it out again. There are some instances, fer some reason, where th' second print is even MORE valuable than th' original that I've seen, but it's rare as far as I know.

I have no clue about TPB values, but since some stores seem to jack up th' price after a while I imagine they do have some. Probably not as much over time as if you had th' actual issues.

An' unlike UK STU, despite how crappy my comics may be already I treat 'em as if they're mint; which means no buttered toast around mine. ;-) I'm very anal about keepin' things in th' condition I get 'em.

WOLVERINE25TH said:
Amen, Charles!

Alright, MWM, here's some answers fer ya. Note, I COULD be wrong but I'm pretty sure I'm not:

CGC is a co that grades yer comics an' seals 'em up so they can never be read again an' retain their current condition. Sucks fer readers but great fer old comics that could be lost forever.

In short: no. There's nothin' different between prints except value. Second prints're usually less valuable than th' first an' just meant there was such a demand fer it they hadda go an' print it out again. There are some instances, fer some reason, where th' second print is even MORE valuable than th' original that I've seen, but it's rare as far as I know.

I have no clue about TPB values, but since some stores seem to jack up th' price after a while I imagine they do have some. Probably not as much over time as if you had th' actual issues.

An' unlike UK STU, despite how crappy my comics may be already I treat 'em as if they're mint; which means no buttered toast around mine. ;-) I'm very anal about keepin' things in th' condition I get 'em.

Mainly I have been collecting what I want to read, which is why I get the TPB's.
But I also have a few subscriptions.
I am not all that interested in spending 800 on an old comic that I wouldn't even want to read, and would'nt be able to if I did.
I already have plenty of other expensive hobbies, (Antique Swords, Cuban Cigars, Well aged Scotch etc.) I mainly read comics because I like the characters and stories.
Thanks anyway for the answers though.

mwm1331 said:
Of August?
We have the same birthday.
set a few years apart.
actually, of september

happy birthday, amigo!

mwm1331 said:
Questions.
What is the cgc?
that's a big question, so let me get back to you in a minute
mwm1331 said:
Does it matter a great deal if the issue you buy is a first, second etc print?
only if the issue in question is of particular value to begin with. Then the first printing is almost always more valuable. Batman:The Killing Joke and The Death of Captain Marvel are good examples of books that have gone through multiple printings and the first printings are worth more than the latter ones

in some cases, there may be a slight change between different printings. For instance, there were a few months in the late 190's where marvel experiemented with selling comics for 35 cents instead of 30 cents in some markets. the books with the 35 cent stamp instead of the 30 cent are much rarer, and in good condition can be ALOT more money. But, for example, an issue of spider-man that might be worth $20 today, would only be worth $30 if it was the 35 cent varient. However, Iron Fist 14, which was the first appearence of Sabretooth, and is worth probably $150 dollars in NM condition, is today worth $1500 to the right buyers. The same goes for Star Wars #1

mwm1331 said:
Do TPBs or hardcovers retain any value over time or just the issues?

they retain their cover price, but they won't increase. The only exception is if they go out of print while there is still a large market for them, such is the case with the Miracle Man trades, which can be worth $100 apeice. The first printing of the Squadron Supreme trade is notorious because the writer of the book and former Marvel EIC Mark Gruenwald passed away and specified that his ashes be mixed with the ink used to print this book (kind of grusome, but it's true). The $75 Absolute Authority vol 1 oversized hardcover was made without anticipaing the demand for it, but because it was an expensive volume, they never went back to print for it. it's now worth at least twice that amount to the right buyers. Similarly, the original Watchmen hardcover now fetches prices in the hundreds

as it is, though, these remain pretty much the only examples of Trades increasing in value, but as years go by, more may occur for one reason or another

about you simply wanting to read comics. that's fine, alot of people do that. Alot simply buy them to read, some buy them simply to collect, most do both. Collecting comics of rarity is no different than coin, stamp, or antique collecting. I do both

now as for CGC. As you are probably familiar there exist price guide's for comics. The most well respected is the Overstreet price guide, which determine's the value of comics annually by a panel of comicbook historians and retailers who take into account the scarcity of each issue and the public interest in them. Given the scarsity of, say, Action Comics #1, and the huge amount of interest people have in superman, that book is worth half a million dollars in mint condition (actually, it's worth more, but I won't get into that. But that's only if it's in mint condition. There's a tiered system to determine the condition of a book, as conditions vary alot. As the condition steadily gets worse, the issue is naturally worth less. anyone who runs a comicbook store is expected to be familiar with how to grade a book in order to price it apporiately, and it's wise taht you're familiar too, if you wish to collect them. Overstreet provides a guide on how to grade. Grades stretch from Poor, the worst possible, to mint, which is brand new, right off the presses. certain defects must be determined in order to put a book in the approriate tier, such as are there pages missing or portions cut out, are thier cracks, tears, rips, etc. It's an involved process

the problem comes in that this is not an exact science. To one grader, a book may seem to be in very good condition, but to another, it's in Fine condition. This can vary the price alot, especially on the more expensive books. CGC seeks to level the playing field by training it's graders to hold books to the same standar. They assign a number to the different grades

Mint 10.0
Mint 9.9
Near Mint/Mint 9.8
Near Mint + 9.6
Near Mint 9.4
Near Mint - 9.2
Very Fine/Near Mint 9.0
Very Fine + 8.5
Very Fine 8.0
Very Fine - 7.5
Fine/Very Fine 7.0
Fine + 6.5
Fine 6.0
Fine - 5.5
Very Good/Fine 5.0
Very Good + 4.5
Very Good 4.0
Very Good - 3.5
Good/Very Good 3.0
Good + 2.5
Good 2.0
Good - 1.8
Fair/Good 1.5
Fair 1.0
Poor 0.5

this becomes especially useful when selling a comic on ebay. A person may say that the book they are selling is in near mint condition, but without being able to look at the book yourself, you're simply taking their word for it. However, if the book is CGCed, you can take CGCs word for it, and they have a good reputation

when you give a book to CGC to grade, the take it and have a grader examine it and determine it's grade. They then put the comic in a hard plastic sleeve, resistent to water and UV light which can cause fading, with a label at the top indicating the grade. The plastic sleeve is locked, preserving the book, and guaraunteeing that the person can't take the comic out and put another in in it's place without damaging the casing

so, CGC is useful for a handful of reasons:

you have a valuable book that you wish to have protected and officially appraised

or you're intending to sell the book and wish to have a well known third party appraise it for the benefit of those interested in buying it

that's pretty much it in a nut shell

Thanks for the info.
You spoiled little rich boy you.

yeah yeah

although, to be realistic, base on my current income and adding in what I don't pay for that most people do, I'm only in the 40K a year tier. That's not exactly rich....

Elijya said:
so, CGC is useful for a handful of reasons:

you have a valuable book that you wish to have protected and officially appraised

or you're intending to sell the book and wish to have a well known third party appraise it for the benefit of those interested in buying it

Good points, but there is a negative aspect to a CGC comic (which is its biggest fault as far as I'm concerned).

Once a comic is CGC'd, you can have to keep it sealed and you can never really look at it or touch it.

Just my two cents...

Elijya said:
yeah yeah

although, to be realistic, base on my current income and adding in what I don't pay for that most people do, I'm only in the 40K a year tier. That's not exactly rich....

When its 100% disposable income it kinda is. Upper middle class at the very least.
40k a year in disposable corresponds to about 100 in gross maybe more depending on the area.

no, it's not dispoasable. The 40K reflects what I make plus what most people have to pay for. I make 25K a year about, but I figure between room and board I'm saving 15K. So my disposable income is only about 25K, but even that gets taxed. So no, I'm DEFINTIELY not in the 100K range

Elijya said:
no, it's not dispoasable. The 40K reflects what I make plus what most people have to pay for. I make 25K a year about, but I figure between room and board I'm saving 15K. So my disposable income is only about 25K, but even that gets taxed. So no, I'm DEFINTIELY not in the 100K range
Ahh misunderstanding.
I misread what you wrote.
Either way nice collection.

I don't think I even make enough to merrit disposable income...

actually, I'd be willing to sell it to you

i got mine for $30, its like a 5.8 tho :D

6.0, which was bull****

Overstreet prices a near mint at $500

I could post a picture of my marvel card collection, but I don't want to scare you guys :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"