NBA 2019-2020 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I grew up watching players such as Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett etc.. take the NBA to the next level.

What he achieved on court and what he had planned for the future is a testament to his attitude, commitment and desire.

RIP Kobe, one of the greats. So, so tragic.

I was very sad to hear about the passing of Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna

It is and always will be hard to accept young people passing away. Kobe was 41 and Gianna was 13.When you see a person happily entering the second phase of their life,dedicating themselves to family and setting up new goals for themselves and others and it's suddenly taken away...it's just beyond tragic and sad. RIP Kobe & Gianna.Also to the 7 other passengers on the helicopter including John Altobelli, a longtime baseball coach at Orange Coast College, a junior college in Costa Mesa. Calif., as well as Altobelli’s wife, Keri, and daughter Alyssa and Christina Mauser, an assistant girls basketball coach at a private elementary school in Orange County and pilot Ara Zobayan RIP

He was one of the true global ambassadors for the game and was of the few NBA players that actually supported the WNBA most say the3y do but Kobe truly did
RIP to of the best

Not a Lakers fan, far from it. Warriors fan, and was a temporary adopted Kings fan during the Lakers - Kings feuds due to the person I was dating at the time. In fact, I hated Kobe, not because of any of the off court mistakes, or controversies. But because he was so damn good, it was so annoying. On top of that, it annoyed the hell out of me that the kids just a generation behind me thought he was as good as Jordan (he wasn't), but Kobe carried himself, and played like he was going to be damn sure everyone gave it at least a second thought, and did his best to be the greatest ever. How many of us can even remotely say that we have ever put forth that much effort into anything in our entire lives? I respected how talented he was, and how hard he worked. Few people that go through a change like Kobe did, seem to do it genuinely, but from everything I've read, and seen over the years, and now with everyone telling their stories, it seems he made himself a truly better person, or at the very least, opened up more so he wasn't as misunderstood. Despite not being a Kobe fan, I respected the hell out of what he was capable of, and it was a massive shock to me it still doesn't seem real. On top of that, multiple lives were lost in that crash, including his daughter that by every account, was specially talented, just like he was. Hold those you love close, everyone, life is short.

credit for the artwork belongs to - Min. Nathi Mthethwa (@NathiMthethwaSA) | Twitter
edited: for grammar

Last edited:
Not a Lakers fan, far from it. Warriors fan, and was a temporary adopted Kings fan during the Lakers - Kings feuds due to the person I was dating at the time. In fact, I hated Kobe, not because of any of the off court mistakes, or controversies. But because he was so damn good, it was so annoying. On top of that, it annoyed the hell out of me that the kids just a generation behind me thought he was as good as Jordan (he wasn't), but Kobe carried himself, and played like he was going to be damn sure everyone gave it at least a second thought, and did his best to be the greatest ever. How many of us can even remotely say that we have ever put forth that much effort into anything in our entire lives? I respected how talented he was, and how hard he worked. Few people that go through a change like Kobe did seem to do to do it genuinely, but from everything I've read, and seen over the years, and now with everyone telling their stories, it seems he made himself a truly better person, or at the very least, opened up more so he wasn't as misunderstood. Despite not being a Kobe fan, I respected the hell out of what he was capable of, and it was a massive shock to me it still doesn't seem real. On top of that, multiple lives were lost in that crash, including his daughter that by every account, was specially talented, just like he was. Hold those you love close, everyone, life is short.

credit for the artwork belongs to - Min. Nathi Mthethwa (@NathiMthethwaSA) | Twitter

Deleted post. Wasn't worth the time I took to write it, but this one is.

Great time to make that comparison. Hopefully those "kids" don't walk that path and show maturity in times where grieving is most appropriate.

I guess you didn't read the rest of my post, and prefer to focus on one sentence not taking into account the entirely of it's context. I'd prefer not to argue, or start any word wars, rather, like you said, focus on a time to grieve and pay respects, which we all do in our own way. If you're taking offense, I suggest being more open minded, and assuming not everything that has a negative sound, is negative in it's entirety.

Again, I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. Seems like you want to cherry pick what you want, for whatever reason.

There's those of us who grew up idolizing Jordan who still thought Kobe was better. Like me.

I've talked about the "Jordan Myth" so much in here that I don't want to derail this thread at this time.

But please...don't act like that's anything other than your (and others) opinion.

There's those of us who grew up idolizing Jordan who still thought Kobe was better. Like me.

I've talked about the "Jordan Myth" so much in here that I don't want to derail this thread at this time.

But please...don't act like that's anything other than your (and others) opinion.

Yeah. Agreed. When I hear people say they hate an athlete they don't know for some stupid reason, I tend to think they're rather, well, self absorbed or narrow minded or....whatever.

I can't say Jordan was better, Kobe was better, etc. I know Jordan broke a lot of hearts and Kobe did the same. Both were fierce competitors, hard workers who gave it everything they had, among the greatest that ever stepped on to the basketball court, and, unless they did something really, really wrong that I don't know about, don't deserve anyone's dislike.

I lived in the Bay Area/Santa Cruz area for about 30 years and in Los Angeles for an extended period of time. I don't want to over-generalize, but Bay Area fans (and I count myself among them) are a lot more, well, insecure about their teams. Sport fans in LA don't really worry about other teams as much. They tend to have more varied interests.

Yeah. Agreed. When I hear people say they hate an athlete they don't know for some stupid reason, I tend to think they're rather, well, self absorbed or narrow minded or....whatever.

Perhaps it's because you don't feel the same about sports the way other people do, and I'm not saying that's a bad thing, or that you're wrong. You feel your way, and most likely the vast majority of sports fans feel the same way I expressed myself. The difference is when people say they 'hate' and athlete, it's in the context or sporting competition. A lot of players themselves even say they hate each other, in the moment. Vince Carter said he and Kobe at times hated each other. I think you might be again, either taking things out of context, or misunderstanding, or perhaps don't have the capacity to understand it from the viewpoint of others. I'm not saying you lack anything, but I know for myself, with certain things, either people say, do, or behave, I just don't understands and can't comprehend their thinking, reasoning, motives, etc.

But instead, you choose to just assume people are self absorbed, or narrow minded. It sounds like you are placing a lot of judgement on a lot of people. Just because people don't view things, say thing, respond to things in the same manner you do, doesn't mean they are any of those things you assume, or have any ill intent.

I can't say Jordan was better, Kobe was better, etc. I know Jordan broke a lot of hearts and Kobe did the same. Both were fierce competitors, hard workers who gave it everything they had, among the greatest that ever stepped on to the basketball court, and, unless they did something really, really wrong that I don't know about, don't deserve anyone's dislike.

Again, I think you just have a different viewpoint, and opinion. Herm Edwards said it best, "You play to win the game." Therefore it's a competition, no one is happy when they lose, and no one is happy for the other people, not in the moment, and not immediately after. Not when the competition is on that level. And their fans (literally derived from fanatics) feel the same way. So again, I think either because you loved Kobe and are taking things perhaps a little too personal (again sort of like the majority of sports fans do), or you just view things very differently, and for some reason are choosing to hold other people in contempt.

I lived in the Bay Area/Santa Cruz area for about 30 years and in Los Angeles for an extended period of time. I don't want to over-generalize, but Bay Area fans (and I count myself among them) are a lot more, well, insecure about their teams. Sport fans in LA don't really worry about other teams as much. They tend to have more varied interests.

Born and raised in the Bay Area, so I think I have some room to debate your claims.
49ers 6 appearances 5 rings. 4th most appearances and tied 2nd most wins.
Giants 20 appearances 8 wins tied 2nd most appearances and 2nd most wins. 3 in 5 years recently.
A's haven't won anything recently, but overall they have 14 appearances and 9 wins, 1 appearance in 89, and 1 win in 90.
Raiders - 1 appearance in 2002 and 5 total, 3 wins total which is tied for 4th.
Sharks - Fair enough no titles, but went in 2016 and for the last decade have been one of the best teams in the NHL.
Warriors - 11 appearances, 5 wins, both 3rd most all time. Best regular season record.

Again, I think you're just generalizing, for millions of sports fans, and making assumptions. I'd almost go as far as to say that your statement about Bay Area sports teams being 'insecure' is completely incorrect, but I won't assume that it's not true for some people. I know a lot of fans of all of those teams, A's fans are probably the most elitist fans out of all of them, Raiders fans are similarly so arrogant. Sharks fan have a ton of pride, especially in the San Jose area. Sure 9er fans have been in a slump, while the last 20 years hasn't been nearly as good as it was the previous 20, it hasn't been without it's highlights and up years.

As for Warriors fans, things have changed. It's not even remotely the same crowd as it was 5-7+ years ago. But even when the Warriors teams were horrendous, and they were for a very long time, those fans were as about great a fanbase as they came. Games were always fun to go go, even if they were at far less than full capacity. Insecure? Not at all, we took a ton of pride just making it to the playoffs finally in 07. Perhaps in agony because of how bad they were for so long, with hopes of just having a .500+ year, and right back to agony when the playoff appearance was so short lived.

What fanbase isn't jealous of another team's success, especially when it's sustained for years like the Lakers, or the Patriots? When someone else's team is winning multiple championship, and your team is perpetually stuck below a .500 winning record, who wouldn't be jealous? Insecure though? Not even remotely close.

Also stating that LA sports fans don't worry about other teams as much, and 'have other interests' comes off as an incredibly petty statement. You're right, what other interests could Bay Area sports fan's possibly have other than sports? Since they're so insecure, they must surely just fidget around nervously with nothing else to do. Which is why no one wants to live in the Bay Area, and Silicon Valley clearly has nothing going on for it.

If you take issue with what I said about Kobe, again, maybe it's because you're such a big Kobe fan, and you're being emotional, and choosing to be upset over a small piece of what I said about him. I "hated" the man, because he was so damn good. He killed the Kings, a team I rooted for due to temporary ties to them. And the Warriors were at the bottom of the barrel at the time, so it was nothing but "already, let's get ready for this a** whooping". It wasn't because I had, or have any animosity towards him, it's because...it's sports! You're not supposed to like losing to anyone else, you're not supposed to like the other team in the heat of competition. And as Doc Samson pointed out about himself, I too was a Jordan fan, and grew up idolizing him. So my statement was of that in the moment about debates amongst myself and the kids at the time that were younger than me that didn't even watch Jordan play. Same could be said about the generation before me about Jordan, that to them Russell was the best to ever play (and he honestly might be, not even being remotely hyperbolic).

Lastly, if you take issue with me mentioning Kobe's off court controversies, then I imagine you have issues with a lot of the news outlets right now, and individual journalists. Hell, ESPN's very own tribute video mentions the case! I specifically went out of my way to say I didn't hate him for any of that, the Shaq feud, or anything else. It was because he was a elite competitor, one of the best, that I was supposed to root again. Kobe would know that better than anyone else. No one is not without their flaws. I'm not judging the man for his, but to deify him, and act like the man is was a saint would be wrong, and unfair.

I'm fine with everything I said in my tribute post to Kobe, I went out of my way to do so for an athlete, that I hated watching, hated seeing my teams get killed by. Because that's what we do in sports, we don't want the other team to win, or the other players to succeed. Because if they do, that means our team loses. It doesn't come from a place of internal hate for the human being they are. I was, and still am in awe of Kobe's talent on the court. As much as I didn't like Kobe Bryant the Laker, and he was a member of a team I directly rooted, and will always root against. Hearing about him passing hit me harder than I can remember hearing any celebrity (to which none of us have any personal attachment to) I can remember, and Robin Williams hit me heard, and was the first celebrity death that took me back, because I grew up knowing who he was.

I was, and am still shocked that it's real, and wish it wasn't. I'm deeply saddened by the loss of his life, the others on the helicopter, and of course his daughter. Again no ill feelings, but a lot of what you said seemed to place judgement on a lot of people, and you made a lot of assumptions. That's the last I will say of it, and on this.

Last edited:
He was one of the true global ambassadors for the game and was of the few NBA players that actually supported the WNBA most say the3y do but Kobe truly did
RIP to of the best

I go back to the days of Nate Thurmond (who I had the pleasure of meeting at his AWESOME BBQ joint in the city), Kareem, etc. and I completely agree. Kobe died doing one of the things he believed in; helping women in basketball. I hope LBJ and others pick up the slack. I've spent a lot of time at Candlestick, the Coliseum (A's and an 11 year season ticket holder to the Raiders), and PacBell. There are a lot of great people in sports. Kobe was one of them.

Last edited:
I go back to the days of Nate Thurmond (who had the pleasure of meeting at his AWESOME BBQ joint in the city), Kareem, etc. and I completely agree. Kobe died doing one of the things he believed in; helping women in basketball. I hope LBJ and others pick up the slack. I've spent a lot of time at Candlestick, the Coliseum (A's and an 11 year season ticket holder to the Raiders), and PacBell. There are a lot of great people in sports. Kobe was one of them.

its very touching to see him embrace his daughter's dream of living up to his legend and he doing everything he can do to guide her to that dream even going to see woman college games she wanted to go to UConn from I read which tells me she was serious about it sad to me he died doing what he found joy in seeing her mature as a basketball players truly heartbreaking to know they died together

its very touching to see him embrace his daughter's dream of living up to his legend and he doing everything he can do to guide her to that dream even going to see woman college games she wanted to go to UConn from I read which tells me she was serious about it sad to me he died doing what he found joy in seeing her mature as a basketball players truly heartbreaking to know they died together

I read where Gianna was to have led a new generation of players into the WNBA where they would make the league relevant and that people would pay to see the daughter of an NBA legend. Alas, it's not meant to be.

man Shaq breaks my heart

to see a 7 foot plus tall man break down and cry on national television is just nothing but respect from me. i appreciate shaq for being so honest with all of us

I read where Gianna was to have led a new generation of players into the WNBA where they would make the league relevant and that people would pay to see the daughter of an NBA legend. Alas, it's not meant to be.

I’m sick to my stomach. When I read things like this, it hurts so much. So much potential and so many possibilities just gone. The thing is, it happens every day and we don’t know about it. We go on with our lives like nothing happened. Things like this happen every day, but we don’t know about them and it’s incredibly sad. So many good things, to be sure, and so much sadness.

why not? he has a couple of more they can try to continue but I hope other NBA greats can make that Dream happen for Kobe and have NBA greats kin bring relevance to that league I mean it kind not fare to current crop or players that started that league that because they didn't share DNA with a NBA legend they wasn't able to get people to that product but that's a whole other discussion not for today

Yeah seeing Shaq break down and Jerry West saying that he would have his sons drive him to practice cause he didn't drive he truly watch that kid grow up

I wished him a shaq stayed together longer but it is what it is
2 Alpha Males rarely place nice with one another

why not? he has a couple of more they can try to continue but I hope other NBA greats can make that Dream happen for Kobe and have NBA greats kin bring relevance to that league I mean it kind not fare to current crop or players that started that league that because they didn't share DNA with a NBA legend they wasn't able to get people to that product but that's a whole other discussion not for today

Yeah seeing Shaq break down and Jerry West saying that he would have his sons drive him to practice cause he didn't drive he truly watch that kid grow up

I wished him a shaq stayed together longer but it is what it is
2 Alpha Males rarely place nice with one another

His oldest plays volleyball and his two youngest are not even in grade school yet as one was just born last year.

Kobe’s wife, Vanessa has now made her first public statement on the death of her husband and daughter.

Everyone pray for them.

It's like the more stories come out about him, the more worldly he seems. He literally has touched everybody in some way. It's just unreal how big his impact is compared to anyone we've known in modern times.

i was heavily invested in that '96 draft class growing up. Iverson was from here, and my Granny knew his mom from Bingo lol

i still remember clearly watching that draft, writing the pics down on notebook paper. to this day i can remember the names of most of that first round draft, but not all in order. i can remember the first 3 though! i was also a big Marcus Camby fan from UMASS. But I was really big into basketball in the late 90's. I played, the WNBA was coming around and I saw women like me playing a sport I was really into. It was really a great time for me.

But back to the draft class. I specifically remember Charlotte trading a guy they drafted out of high school to the Lakers and the Lakers trading Divac. I specifically thought something like Wow, they must really like him to trade Divac away. Good call Lakers.

I collected basketball cards of that draft class, and still have most of them to this day in storage. Some of my favorite players came out of that draft. some of my favorites; Iverson, Stojakovic, Ray Allen, Camby, Antoine Walker (don't know why him lol but i was a fan)
other notables: Kittles, Nash, Fisher, Abdur- Rahim, Lorenzen Wright (who also died too young), Starbury. Jermaine O'Neal, Ilgauskas (i just liked saying his name lol) and I remember the 3 Knicks: Wallace, Jones and McCarty. They had like 3 out of 5 picks in a row.

heck, it might be one of, if not the best NBA draft class.

oUtXuW9.jpg

i'd love to find a larger version of this. Love Gigi over there talking to Stern and man, i just noticed Sager in the back :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"