New Mutants New Mutants News and Discussion - Part 2

there's zero hype for this...
they might need to release some big cg scenes for hype like fox released days of future past's opening fight scene.

Apparently there's a sneak peek during Riverdale on Wednesday.

So with Bond and now Peter Rabbit moving, barring any changes, New Mutants doesn't look like it would have any major competition in April with the exception of Mulan from the previous weekend. Then again, this isn't some super high budget film like Dark Phoenix was.

Also, saw some TV spots during Black Lightning and Batwoman, so nice that those are kicking in.

So i saw an ad for the new mutants on youtube last night. I saw it and i thought to myself. "I thought this movie was dead". I am on the fence if i wanna see it or not because i do not do well with horror movies but it's Pg13 Horror so it shouldn't be that scary. Just try to convince me to go see it.

So i saw an ad for the new mutants on youtube last night. I saw it and i thought to myself. "I thought this movie was dead". I am on the fence if i wanna see it or not because i do not do well with horror movies but it's Pg13 Horror so it shouldn't be that scary. Just try to convince me to go see it.
Just look at Magik, Demon Bear, and Lockheed. That's three reasons to be in theaters on day 1.

The issue is probably about name recognition more than anything because I don't know that many people outside my circle of nerds that even knows who they are. Now the X-Men they do know. They do have an opportunity to be the mutant version of GOTG but who knows where this is going under Disney.

This movie is too much...

The studio drama and big buyout might have saved the film from Kinberg meddling, letting the movie deliver the director's original vision.

Magik, Wolfsbane and her soulsword, and the Demon Bear look excellent. On the one hand, Dani/Rahne builds on the subtext of the comics. On the other hand, Magik/Sunspot is just so wrong lol. Sunspot and Cecilia are straight up white-washed which undercuts the excitement I feel about Magik.

This movie is too much...

The studio drama and big buyout might have saved the film from Kinberg meddling, letting the movie deliver the director's original vision.

Magik, Wolfsbane and her soulsword, and the Demon Bear look excellent. On the one hand, Dani/Rahne builds on the subtext of the comics. On the other hand, Magik/Sunspot is just so wrong lol. Sunspot and Cecilia are straight up white-washed which undercuts the excitement I feel about Magik.

Glad I didn't have to be the one to say it again lol. But agreed.

I'm just really curious that if this actually does become a hit what will Feige do with this cast, or if he'll still just wash his hands of the whole thing. More than likely the latter.

Pretty sure the general audience probably doesn't care what color Sunspot and Cecilia are any more than they would Perry White being played by Laurence Fishburne or Idris Elba playing Heimdall, the whitest god. They don't know these characters in and out and would just take them as is, unlike us who would know more about their origins and have reasons to gripe about them.

I really hope this is divorced enough from the Fox universe that Marvel uses Anya Taylor Joy again as Magik, she looks friggin perfect for the role

I could see them allowing her to play the role in like Deadpool 3... assuming Feige ever signs off on Deadpool 3 and she wants to keep doing it after all the troubles. I don't see Feige ever letting this movie be officially tied into the MCU.

Pretty sure the general audience probably doesn't care what color Sunspot and Cecilia are any more than they would Perry White being played by Laurence Fishburne or Idris Elba playing Heimdall, the whitest god. They don't know these characters in and out and would just take them as is, unlike us who would know more about their origins and have reasons to gripe about them.

I dont just care about comic book accuracy, I care that they denied a black actor the role of a black character.

So with Bond and now Peter Rabbit moving, barring any changes, New Mutants doesn't look like it would have any major competition in April with the exception of Mulan from the previous weekend. Then again, this isn't some super high budget film like Dark Phoenix was.
I don't think the competition was the problem for this movie. Were people really deciding between Bond and New Mutants?

Getting people to show up to the theatres, for a thrice delayed, three-years-in-the-making, nightmare production was the problem.

The Governor of Washington State, the most affected from COVID-19 in the US, is banning gatherings/events of more than 250 people. I'd be hard-pressed to find any one theatre in the US screening New Mutants with 250 people, even on Day 1.

That said, I'm more inclined to watch this, even though I skipped Dark Phoenix in theatres/blu-ray altogether.

yeah. anyone hoping good box office performance due to those delays are.. not smart. lol
it's getting worse each day, especially in international market. and US is on that track too.
this will struggle to find proper release on many international market with zero marketing and support. even straight to vod in some market.
imo April will be the around the corona peak in EU/US.

anyway, recent tv spot was great, showing lots of power and cg scenes. smart move.

Boone wanted Banderas to play Emmanuel DaCosta, aka sunspots dad.

I was thinking Belasco would have been a good fit for Banderas.

THis is probably gonna get delayed again due to the virus I think

I believe it when I see it. This is a throwaway release for Disney anyway.

They'd move Mulan and Black Widow before this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"