BvS New Positivity Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!) - Part 1

I thought the main story was excellent, and the fact that the two films on the theatre marquee not only parallel the events and characters of the film, but also represent the past (Mark of Zorro parallels Batman's carreer) and the future (Excalibur parallels the events of the films plot) and since the opening of Batman V Superman is Bruce's nightmare of the night his parents were murdered, cleverly Mark of Zorro is currently playing (Batman's career is currently occuring) and coming soon is Excalibur (the events of the movie that mirror those of Excalibur are coming soon). This film is filled with metatextual content. The character's motivations and opinions on Superman are commentaries on the criticism both the character of Superman and the previous film have received. The appearance of the Flash to warn Bruce (post credit teaser style) in which he questions if he's "Too soon" may or may not be a metatextual reference to the positioning of the scene in the film itself. In terms of looking at Flash's arrival as a teaser to Justice League he literally is "Too soon" in the film, which is why I love the placement of that scene in the middle of the film. He's also too soon in the literal sense within the context of the films plot. He is speaking to Bruce about events that have no context to Bruce yet, but he will. Loved that.

Totally didn't pick up on the meta- of Flash being "too soon" - once has to wonder now if that was done purposefully, because if it was, brilliant!

right? I love hearing "Snyder doesn't understand Superman" but he saved Lex. and then I hear things like "Why didn't Superman give the spear to WW to kill DD with? That doesnt' make sense, poorly written scene" Yeah because Superman would ever do that right?

This movie to me was everything I wanted it to be and more. I just hope WB doesn't get too nervous and started intervening too much in JL. Obviously I would love these movies to be more acclaimed, and I am completely flabbergasted as to how they aren't, but on the flip side, theres been so much planning going into this entire universe it would not be a good situation for the the studio to meddle to much no matter how you look at it

Definitely, Superman does a number of things in the movie which are right in line with his character, so I don't get the criticisms. And yeah, Superman would never put someone else's life on the line instead of his own. It would never happen. I have my issues with the movie as its not perfect, but overall I got what I wanted.

right? I love hearing "Snyder doesn't understand Superman" but he saved Lex. and then I hear things like "Why didn't Superman give the spear to WW to kill DD with? That doesnt' make sense, poorly written scene" Yeah because Superman would ever do that right?

This movie to me was everything I wanted it to be and more. I just hope WB doesn't get too nervous and started intervening too much in JL. Obviously I would love these movies to be more acclaimed, and I am completely flabbergasted as to how they aren't, but on the flip side, theres been so much planning going into this entire universe it would not be a good situation for the the studio to meddle to much no matter how you look at it

I agree. I am truly shocked that the movie is being crucified as it is. I am extremely excited for Justice League.

I agree. I am truly shocked that the movie is being crucified as it is. I am extremely excited for Justice League.

It never was going to be a movie that was going to universally acclaimed because it does quite a lot of risks in a lot of ways. but the fact that its getting critically PANNED to be is baffling. This movie managed to exceed the highest of expectations I had for it.

Totally didn't pick up on the meta- of Flash being "too soon" - once has to wonder now if that was done purposefully, because if it was, brilliant!

I feel like it was done purposefully. Only because there is a ton of examples of self aware meta in the film. It's in the dialogue "it's not 1938 anymore". It's in the visuals (the marquee for the theatre). It's also in the storyline itself. It would be interesting if someone smarter than me, and with more time on their hands was able to put together a comprehensive meta list for the movie, with examples. There is a lot there.

THIS is the s=÷ that pi!/ssess me off for some reason. Not the finished product, but the stuff that got left out on the cutting room floor. This is what the movie should of had more of from the get-go. There was some Bruce Wayne nightmares, like the Bat popping out of Martha Waynes tomb that could have been replaced with something like Clark Kent investigating the Batman. We needed more of that to give more suspense and tension to their conflicts. The dinner party scene was great and fun. I'm sure the Clark Kent investigations would have been too.

I imagine the suits watched it, and was like, what? CK investigating Bruce? BOORRIINNGG!! It needs more plosions, so cut that.

I liked the film ok, but you could kinda tell there was a better film there some where.

Everything about the Flash scene was done purposely.

There was a great video on YOUTUBE by Jaeroar who spelled this out beautifully.

Flash being "too soon" means he missed the mark in the Multiverse timeline. He was supposed to go to the timeline after the events of Batman V Superman to maybe warn Bruce of Darkseid.

The timeline Flash was meant to go to references how the world would have been without the Justice League assembled. He tells Bruce how Lois Lane is the "key" and to "find them", which tells you there is no Justice League in the future DCEU, which is what Batman was "dreaming" about. With Flash's warning and going back to the Batman V Superman timeline means he just changed EVERYTHING about the future.

Flash's warning got through to Bruce and now, he's going to assemble the JL and find them to fight, which could prevent the future Bruce was dreaming about from happening. How this effects Superman could determine how the League works together to either save Lois or use her in a way to bring Superman back before the events that turn Superman rogue.

His warning is straight up about superman though, not darkseid. I think that's a pretty big leap on the effects his warning has on Batman forming the league.
Edit: you might be right, honestly I need to see it again to decide, because I kind of took Bruce saying he had a feeling they'd need to find them based on what lex told him, not that warning, I don't think he understood that warning, and I'm pretty sure he has no idea that the guy in the convenience store vid was that same dude in his nightmare.

Last edited:
Everything about the Flash scene was done purposely.

There was a great video on YOUTUBE by Jaeroar who spelled this out beautifully.

Flash being "too soon" means he missed the mark in the Multiverse timeline. He was supposed to go to the timeline after the events of Batman V Superman to maybe warn Bruce of Darkseid.

The timeline Flash was meant to go to references how the world would have been without the Justice League assembled. He tells Bruce how Lois Lane is the "key" and to "find them", which tells you there is no Justice League in the future DCEU, which is what Batman was "dreaming" about. With Flash's warning and going back to the Batman V Superman timeline means he just changed EVERYTHING about the future.

Flash's warning got through to Bruce and now, he's going to assemble the JL and find them to fight, which could prevent the future Bruce was dreaming about from happening. How this effects Superman could determine how the League works together to either save Lois or use her in a way to bring Superman back before the events that turn Superman rogue.

No I totally understood the Flash vision the context of the film. I was just saying how I didn't realize how very "meta" it was- The Flash literally saying "I'm too soon" - which is a criticism a lot of people had about the movie, that this sequence was shoved in and it was "too soon"

As much as I LOVED this scene, I do think the Ultimate Cut may have been a better place for the Nightmare sequence. It was just far too confusing for the GA, and I realize it was supposed to be like that, but a lot of the GA doesn't necessarily know that JL and the rest of the DCEU have been planned and are in pre-production

His warning is straight up about superman though, not darkseid. I think that's a pretty big leap on the effects his warning has on Batman forming the league.
Edit: you might be right, honestly I need to see it again to decide, because I kind of took Bruce saying he had a feeling they'd need to find them based on what lex told him, not that warning, I don't think he understood that warning, and I'm pretty sure he has no idea that the guy in the convenience store vid was that same dude in his nightmare.

This is the beauty of the scene. We just don't know what is dream, what is reality and what timeline Flash is concerning himself with. At the time of the Flash sequence, Bruce could have mis-understood it because at that particular time, Bruce was hell-bent on killing Superman (hence; Flash's too soon statement) where Flash could have been warning about Darkseid (at this time, Bruce knows nothing of Darkseid; just his fear and anger towards Superman.) Flash could have been referencing to fear Superman, but with the influence under Darkseid, which Bruce knows nothing about so he assumes Superman is the warning, but the heartbeat of a Apokoliptic Earth is Darkseid. Once Flash says to "find them" it becomes more clearer over time and after the Trinity battle (especially after Superman's sacrifice) that finding the meta-humans is his gut feeling into battling what is coming, thus, changing the Multiverse and its timeline.

Last edited:
I could see that possibility, but the fact he references Lois as being the key and Superman having just told him that he took her from him, i just think its a lot more straightforward than that

Bruce's nightmares could be referencing the future DCUniverse. It exists at the time of Batman V Superman. Now that Flash has gone back farther in the timeline, it changed just enough to give Bruce the chance to assemble the Justice League and then work together so they can eliminate that possibility through Lois and stop Superman from going rogue. With Flash telling Bruce Lois is the key and to find the rest of the league alters the futuristic timeline we saw in Batman's nightmares. Notice Batman is working alone in the dream sequence. There is no Justice League. Bruce's nightmares are what the DCU would have came to be if Flash didn't plant that seed in his head. With the formation of the Justice League, Bruce will now have help and have the keys to preventing Darkseid from controlling Superman and ultimately, the Apokoliptic future. How Lois is involved is going to be huge.

From what I've read fans wanted a light hearted movie like Marvel and wanted something they have already seen like the world's finest cartoon and a Superman who smiles and and doesn't f up and the people love and cheer for him and he saves lots of people and Clark Kent is doing lots of reports and a Batman who is more forgiving towards criminals.
Just seems that no matter what snyder did he was going to be hated by fans. He address the silly problems and shackles that the comics have for an ongoing monthly title sorry also the cliques and try to give something new but still head towards what we know but because it's not given upfront fans cry foul.

From what I've read fans wanted a light hearted movie like Marvel and wanted something they have already seen like the world's finest cartoon and a Superman who smiles and and doesn't f up and the people love and cheer for him and he saves lots of people and Clark Kent is doing lots of reports and a Batman who is more forgiving towards criminals.
Just seems that no matter what snyder did he was going to be hated by fans. He address the silly problems and shackles that the comics have for an ongoing monthly title sorry also the cliques and try to give something new but still head towards what we know but because it's not given upfront fans cry foul.

What if you don't learn Rey's heritage or who Snoke is in the next Star Wars because they're building up to it? What will the fans do?

BvS is act 2 of Kal-Els life on his journey to becoming Superman. It makes perfect sense to do it over a 3 part act.

I wonder what happens to the kryptonite spear after the fight. Do you think the government, or even Batman, kept it in preparation for future events?

I assume Bruce kept the spear and hid it somewhere. I would like it if in Justice League when Supes comes back, Bruce gives him the kryptonite spear but then Superman gives it back to him, trusting Bruce to have it

Saw it twice yesterday and I must say it was amazing. This time I just ignored what the critics and haters were saying and it made it so much better. With this and the suicide trailer just out I must say I love being a DC fan

Saw it twice yesterday and I must say it was amazing. This time I just ignored what the critics and haters were saying and it made it so much better. With this and the suicide trailer just out I must say I love being a DC fan

Wow....you actually decided to use the word HATER in your post even though the very first post in this thread (where the thread specifically says in the title - READ THE FIRST POST) says NOT TO CALL PEOPLE HATERS.

Oh well....take a couple of days off.

I'm back!!! Let the light to shine thru the darkness.
The misguided n missing sheeps need the light !

I'm back!!! Let the light to shine thru the darkness.
The misguided n missing sheeps need the light !

Thank Zod. I get so excited when I see this thread bump up.

Dying to go see it again, but I can't currently

need. Ultimate Cut. Now.

Another reason for the epicness of the movie.
'Excalibur' signage at the beginning of the movie... it's an amazing tribute to the classic movie, the king Arthur mythology.

Am I alone when I think that the editing of BVS was a strength of the film? Sure it was unconventional, but to me seemed very meticulously edited and purposefully done. I felt that if it was edited more conventionally we as viewers would have lost sight of the several subplots it was balancing. I thought the editing allowed for everything to be balanced very carefully without it feeling overstuffed. I also thought the pacing was perfect, so I don't get those complaints. It never seemed too slow to me, nor did it seem like it went too fast that you couldn't follow the story.

I never felt like a lot was cut out. I know that there was a ton cut out, but I never felt that we were missing important information.

Honestly I felt the pacing was off back when I saw it at the fan screening, I just attributed that to 1/2 hr being cut out of the movie, but it never took me out of the movie.. The positive far outweighed the negatives... Every time I see this movie I notice something new.. Its really sad people couldn't appreciate Zack vision, it's not perfect but you can tell hes a comic book fan, he did his research & paid homage to so many diff stories. I didnt even catch the whole Mask of Zorro / Excalibur parallels at first ..just awesome !! We probably won't get this type of CBM again..

Am I alone when I think that the editing of BVS was a strength of the film? Sure it was unconventional, but to me seemed very meticulously edited and purposefully done. I felt that if it was edited more conventionally we as viewers would have lost sight of the several subplots it was balancing. I thought the editing allowed for everything to be balanced very carefully without it feeling overstuffed. I also thought the pacing was perfect, so I don't get those complaints. It never seemed too slow to me, nor did it seem like it went too fast that you couldn't follow the story.

I never felt like a lot was cut out. I know that there was a ton cut out, but I never felt that we were missing important information.

I understand the complaint and I found the editing a little bit weird at first. Now I actually like it when the camera jumps from one scene to another like it's jumping between comic panels.

Anyone else praise the film for the LACK of Superman smiling? (not sure why that's something people want so much of just because prior versions of the character do). He does smile when he saves the kid at DotD, but besides that why would he? You think he should smile over an overturned ship (likely full of people) or an exploding rocket?

The world is sad and that is what this film gave us in a lot of places. I love that. He'll become more of the typical Superman later, but for as much as people want character development, they seem to want it in the second Superman movie 100%.

Anyone else praise the film for the LACK of Superman smiling? (not sure why that's something people want so much of just because prior versions of the character do). He does smile when he saves the kid at DotD, but besides that why would he? You think he should smile over an overturned ship (likely full of people) or an exploding rocket?

The world is sad and that is what this film gave us in a lot of places. I love that. He'll become more of the typical Superman later, but for as much as people want character development, they seem to want it in the second Superman movie 100%.

I disagree with those who think that he should've been smiling more in those scenes.

But I understand if someone wanted more scenes where Superman can smile. It's just different tastes.

As you said, it's a sad world and Superman reflects that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"