BvS New Positivity Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!) - Part 1

It's not very good for box office and theatrical releases, but we get 3 hour movies about our beloved super-heroes. :up: I wonder why there was no director's cut of Man of Steel. He was happy with the edit, I suppose.

Watchmen's run time was -

Theatrical : 162 min.

Director's Cut : 186 min.

Ultimate Cut : 215 min.

So, it seems that Snyder really has a tendency to go over the optimum run-time (which is, 2 hours 30 min. as is needed to maximize the number of screenings per day per theater.)

It just boggles me as to why they created the African subplot from the get go. Just use the Battle of Metropolis! I know some say to show Lex's manipulation but we see that from other things like the letters.

It just boggles me as to why they created the African subplot from the get go. Just use the Battle of Metropolis! I know some say to show Lex's manipulation but we see that from other things like the letters.
African incident - new controversy to summon Superman to the court. Battle of Metropolis was acknowledged heroic deed of Superman, there's a monument.

African incident - new controversy to summon Superman to the court. Battle of Metropolis was acknowledged heroic deed of Superman, there's a monument.
Yep. The 'evidence' begins to pile up.

But it didn't have to be.
I'm not complaining about whether it makes sense or not, I'm complaining that it didn't need to be there. They had the perfect opportunity to use the BoM and follow on from Man of Steel, instead of it just being Bruce who was effected by it.

I'm not complaining about whether it makes sense or not, I'm complaining that it didn't need to be there. They had the perfect opportunity to use the BoM and follow on from Man of Steel, instead of it just being Bruce who was effected by it.

I agree. The African incident could have been cut off entirely and it would have had little to no effect to the story except we would have had a shorter film to start with and Snyder could've kept all the scenes that got edited out.

Not really. As I remember correctly, the senate is questioning legality of his actions. In BoM he acted with the military, there's no reason to summon Superman to the court for it.

I thought the Africa thing was necessary to the story personally. After MOS Superman was a hero to all but a few people in Metropolis. People loved him, hence the Statue.

Then the Africa thing happened and innocent people died and so it was time to call Superman's motivations and his place in the world into question again. That's why the debate hearing followed as well as news snippetts questioning his actions. Superman was considered a hero for the past 18 months prior to this and needed to be called into question again.

It also added to Batman's paranoia about Superman.

Superman needed to be accepted as status quo otherwise most of the film falls apart.

Senator Finch calls Superman to task, but at the end of the day wants to talk and earnestly believes talking will be the answer and sort things out. She's optimistic about Superman. She invites him to Capitol Hill because despite calling him out, she's doesn't believe he intends evil or is a threat. She's actually right, because Superman AGREES... that's why he comes, he has the same optimism that if he appears and speaks, they can sort things out. And guess what? LEX AGREES TOO!

That's why he's so threatened by the Senate hearings ONCE Senator Finch denies his import license. Before that, he thought Finch might be his McCarthy and with a "Silver Bullet" they could publicly put Superman in his place. However, she saw through that and exposed Lex's intentions, but also exposed her own positive, optimistic bias towards Superman, her adoption of the "oldest lie"... that the hearings were ultimately about exonerating Superman not condemning him, because with a stick, a deterrent, a silver bullet, or Kryptonite, how pointless would condemning Superman be? Lex realized she had already predetermined Superman innocent and that would be the outcome of the hearings.

So Lex blows up the hearing to STOP Superman from swaying congress or the public. If Superman says anything the audience finds sympathetic, the public in-story would too, and if the public is swayed then the Committee pulls Lex's access to the Scout Ship (since he's squarely on the anti-Superman side of things).

Lex's desperation to sully Superman and take these kinds of measures only works with a pro-Superman status quo. If everyone is ambivalent and divided over Superman, he has no real reason to have an existential crisis over it. There has to be a strong positive current for Lex to want to fight against it.

If everyone is ambivalent about Superman you can't invite him to Capitol Hill, the skepticism level is too high to ever turn around, and you're talking about an insanely dark universe: very few mainstream ethical lenses would consider saving the planet controversial, you turn Lex into just a part of mainstream belief, instead of a villainous exception (along with Keefe and Bruce).

Well even with all of the negative press from the media. According to reports from Cinemacon. WB is very pleased with how BvS is doing and is full steam ahead with it's new projects including a Batman solo film. They also showed the cast (including Cavill) on the set of Justice League. :)

Well even with all of the negative press from the media. According to reports from Cinemacon. WB is very pleased with how BvS is doing and is full steam ahead with it's new projects including a Batman solo film. They also showed the cast (including Cavill) on the set of Justice League. :)
DCEU is doing fine so far. It will do even better in the future.

Yup, heard WB stock is rising from a decline last year. Heard BvS is helping it. It did make a decent amount of money. They will go on. Even though I really enjoyed BvS, hope they learnt the lesson. They need to make movies that cash in 1 billion + dollars. For that, you have to satisfy as many people as possible.

Yup, heard WB stock is rising from a decline last year. Heard BvS is helping it. It did make a decent amount of money. They will go on. Even though I really enjoyed BvS, hope they learnt the lesson. They need to make movies that cash in 1 billion + dollars. For that, you have to satisfy as many people as possible.
1 bil. or more - ideal scenario. Only 3 (out 12!!!) films of Marvel made over 1 bil. It's a very tough number to crack. I feel like WB went with insane promotion budget because the universe is very fresh. I'm convinced they will cut on that in the future, I doubt they will be putting 150 mil. into each new DC film. I doubt every future film will have a 250 mil. budget. Not because DCEU is failing, but because there are different potentials to each film, not to mention, you never know how the film will perform and how public will accept it.

Today, Batman v Superman breaks $300 Million Domestic. Slow but decent.

I am going to see the movie one last time (3rd) in a couple of hours. Can't wait.

Wow....you actually decided to use the word HATER in your post even though the very first post in this thread (where the thread specifically says in the title - READ THE FIRST POST) says NOT TO CALL PEOPLE HATERS.

Oh well....take a couple of days off.

Wow! I came back after a week off to see you post this. I guess its not a safe place even with you here. Matt sure rigged this thread well.

Today, Batman v Superman breaks $300 Million Domestic. Slow but decent.

I am going to see the movie one last time (3rd) in a couple of hours. Can't wait.
Nice! They didn't earn much with this film, but returned it's budget and created nice setup for the future. Not to mention, created a memorable and unique film.

Wow! I came back after a week off to see you post this. I guess its not a safe place even with you here. Matt sure rigged this thread well.
If by "rigged," you mean this thread was opened because people wanted a place to go to bask in their positivity without having to deal with all the people who were more critical of the film, so we agreed with a caveat that you can't talk about those people being critical in here because they can't come in to defend their positions, then sure.

movie's so good, a friend of mine was saying... yeah I should probably see this a 2nd time, it was pretty good

I was like... well alright I'll go with you (a fifth time LOL) if you want

African scene served 2 purposes;

1) To intensify the consequences of Superman's actions
2) To ultimately push Lex into a desperation move as Lois' investigation begins to close the walls on him pushing him into Doomsday creation

Not really. As I remember correctly, the senate is questioning legality of his actions. In BoM he acted with the military, there's no reason to summon Superman to the court for it.

That's what I was thinking. Plus, I liked that they put some focus on Superman crossing continental boundaries, showing his global impact. That makes the question of Superman and what he should be allowed to do all the more interesting to me.

The more I think about the movie, the more I like it, and I like to think of myself as a pretty hard guy to please when it comes to movies. I don't think it was anymore "all over the place" or "packed with too much" than TDKT or Watchmen, both of which I loved.

Since the premiere and all the negativity surrounding the movie, I was feeling "Meh" about the DCEU, I was still going to see all the movies, but just watch them in the same way I watch the other CBMs, something to watch but I don't get all that excited about, "I'll wait for the DVD". (Not that the other brands are bad). I lost my interest in Suicide Squad or Wonder Woman. But, after seeing and judging it for myself, I loved it, and now I can't wait for the upcoming DC movies. I especially can't wait for the solo Batman, I feel like they're gonna knock that out of the park, like the best aspects of the new Bond films mixed with the best aspects of the Sherlock Holmes films, but all the better because it's Batman!

I don't really have any big critiques of the Batman aspects of the film, there are some things I may have liked to have been different about Superman, and Luthor, but I'm happy with those characters, and looking forward to seeing them again as well.

Had I seen the movie on the first Early Screening, there would have been no way I could have predicted it would have gotten such a large amount of negative reviews. I can see where they're coming from, but it was the right Batman/Superman film for me and my tastes.

I really do like the fact that the MoS battle was such a major plot point, it was a huge event and people aren't just going to forget it and move on so easily. In the same way, I loved the Knightmare and cameos by the other heroes (though I'm glad it was just me and my GF in the theater, cause I had to do a bit of explaining), or the little Easter Eggs giving Batman a mysterious past, but one that has truly effected him. A lot of Superhero movies, it seems like the characters just forget the events of the last movie and move to the next story, but DC makes the universe feel really cohesive, so far. It's like the events and characters have more of an impact on each other, and all the films together will tell one large story, like a series or Game Of Thrones. For example, Bruce and Diana crossing paths, because she has an agenda that will become clear in her movie, or Flash telling Bruce something that will become clear later, the Knightmare sequence will come up again. I bet it's gonna get pretty crazy.

There are things I would have liked to be different, by no means is it perfect, but I really can't complain because this is pretty darn close to exactly what I want to see out of a DC shared universe. I feel like they're putting a lot of thought into these films, I'm glad Snyder is on board as a director, I feel like he is visually brilliant in the CBM medium.

Saw it a third time. I gotta say I am pretty satisfied with my theatrical viewings. Waiting for the ultimate cut. I have never seen a movie this many times in the theater. I really liked BvS and I am glad I supported it as much as I can.

I learn something new every consecutive viewing. I finally realized how smart the script is, I paid a lot of attention to dialogue this time. Of course the lack of exposition turns off a lot of viewers. Lots of play on words and anecdotes. I bet some of this greatness gets lost in translation into other languages. The dialogue is definitely not for everyone, only some people will appreciate it and that's fine, but that's not how you make a billion dollars.

Final thoughts, I am glad I am one of the few who enjoyed it, otherwise I would've been devastated from waiting for this movie the past 3 years. So whether they keep going the same route or change it up so it becomes appealing to everyone, I am still a winner.

Also, for me, I don't think any action scene from a movie this year will top out the Batman action scenes in this movie. Batmobile chase, BvS fight and Warehouse fight. Flawless. I am actually going a little crazy over this Batman. I waited a decade to see this version of Batman on screen, no surprise I hold it in high regard.

Glad you dug it, Sleiek. I've seen it twice, and taking my girl this weekend. She hasn't seen it yet, but after making her a fan of Wonder Woman, she's really excited. I'm stoked to see it with her.

Glad you dug it, Sleiek. I've seen it twice, and taking my girl this weekend. She hasn't seen it yet, but after making her a fan of Wonder Woman, she's really excited. I'm stoked to see it with her.

:up: Good luck buddy.

This is like the "Does your girl friend like Star Wars" moment. ;)

You guys are making me look forward to my 2nd viewing even more!

Glad I am not the only one who liked it the more I thought about it after seeing it either. This has been one of those movies I just can't seem to get out of my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"