New 'Scarface' Movie

kvz5

HBIC
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.deadline.com/2011/09/universal-pictures-readying-a-new-scarface/

Universal Pictures Preps New ‘Scarface’ Movie

EXCLUSIVE: Universal Pictures is developing a new version of Scarface, the title first released in 1932 and then turned into the iconic 1983 film that starred Al Pacino as Cuban gangster Tony Montana. I’d heard that the studio has been meeting writers to script a take for a film that will be produced by Marc Shmuger and Martin Bregman. Bregman produced the Pacino version.

The film is not intended to be a remake or a sequel. It will take the common elements of the first two films: an outsider, an immigrant, barges his way into the criminal establishment in pursuit of a twisted version of the American dream, becoming a kingpin through a campaign of ruthlessness and violent ambition. The studio is keeping the specifics of where the new Tony character comes from under wraps at the moment, but ethnicity and geography were important in the first two versions. In the 1932 Scarface, an Italian (Paul Muni) took over Chicago, and in the Brian De Palma-directed remake, a Cuban cornered the cocaine trade in 1980s Miami, only to be consumed by it. Ann Dvorak, George Raft and Boris Karloff starred in the original and Michelle Pfeiffer, Steven Bauer and Mary Elizabeth Mastrontonio starred in the remake.

Does the iconic Universal library title Scarface deserve an updated version for a new generation? I’m told that when Universal put together the 1983 film, there were howls of heresy; after all, the film was considered a Howard Hughes-produced classic, with a script by Ben Hecht. Howard Hawks directed it with Richard Rosson. The remake became iconic in its own way, particularly in influencing hip-hop culture. Tony Montana’s image is still widely merchandised; his signature line “Say hello to my little friend’ remains the biggest selling cell phone voice ringtone, and Universal has sold over 10 million DVD units worldwide.

They wouldn't dare. They wouldn't.

DEAR GOD NO! I never thought id see this in my lifetime!

It's funny the studio insists it's not a remake yet they'll follow the same basic story of a gangster with a scar who is thruste into rags to riches cautionary tale. stupid.

Development Hell all the way!

*sigh* There goes another one.

At least it isn't a remake of Tony Montana's story, that would've set me off.

With this, if it turns out to be a good movie, I might be able to accept it. Scarface was a re imagining of an older Scarface film so...

I'm not against remakes if done well, but there are SOME roles that really cannot be re-done simply because they are beyond iconic. I'm not one of those people who didn't think Jack Nicholson couldn't be upstaged in Batmna or Robert England had to be THE ONLY Freddy, i think many characters can be played from all sorts of angles when executed right.

Scareface/Tony isn't one of them. That is all.

well they've been pretty clear that it wouldn't be Tony in the movie, who was in fact a remaining of an older character himself, people seem to forget that the "precious masterpiece" that was Tony Montana's scareface was a remake itself.

well they've been pretty clear that it wouldn't be Tony in the movie, who was in fact a remaining of an older character himself, people seem to forget that the "precious masterpiece" that was Tony Montana's scareface was a remake itself.

True, but you could count on the fingers of one hand the number of people who remember (let alone prefer) Paul Muni's Scarface. Whereas Pacino made the character an indelible icon and universal caricature all in the same breath.

Tony Montana still retains a massive, massive fanbase around the world. Across multiple generations. This movie will inevitably be boycotted so hard that it likely will never see the light of day.

didnt know the 80s film was a remake of an earilier version of the character. So as much as a classic the 80s film is and i wouldnt want to see it redone. If the film is totally different characters and likely change of name i dont see so much of a problem.

As ****ed up as the movie is, every single person on Earth can probably quote at least one line from it.

The blu ray comes with a dvd of the original Scarface. I think it's awesome they included that.

It's sequel or prequel, so I'm fine with it. As long as they don't copy too much from the other 2 movies, I'll be fine.

I've never seen the original Scarface now that I think about it.

The GA really isn't going to care. They love the Pacino version, and don't care about anyone else other than Tony Montana. You know what the questions will be?

"Where's Tony Montana?"

"Wait, who is this guy?

I always thought one day there would be a sequel to Scarface centered around Tony's unknown offspring who has his father's temperament and eventually follows in his footsteps. Michelle Pfeiffer is still around. Her character disappeared with no explanation right after the big fight between her and Tony at the restaurant. Perhaps she had gotten pregnant and didn't tell him which could be why she flared up when he made the remarks about her womb being so polluted that she couldn't have kids. After Tony is killed who knows what happened after that? She suddenly has to raise this kid on her own. He becomes a bad seed like his father...you know the rest.

If this does happen, I can see damn near every rapper you can think of wanting a role.

JustABill just told me about this.

I puked and cried.

why the ****.

Yes, De Palma and Pacino's version is a remake but it's well integrated on the general audience of today and pop culture itself that I don't see the point in this besides just wanting to make Scarface a brand, which could be the only reason why they're trying to make a new version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"