News & Discussion Thread

Tatum seems to be in more of the commercials

No matter how good this looks, and it looks much better than the first one, I just can't get passed the concept that it all starts with the deaths of everyone from the first film (except for Tatum and Snake Eyes). I just hate that. Why not say they are in prison for War Crimes. Maybe that is why the pushed back the release. Because they were re-editing so that maybe they aren't actually dead, or at least Tatum isn't dead. I just don't like saying, remember all the characters you got close to in GI Joe 1? Now they are all dead, get over it and enjoy the new cast of characters.
Also, maybe they could have had the cast from movie 1 on a different mission and this is like how the Joes expand or something. Why or why kill them?

Darker and edgier.

You don't know that they die, those are just rumors. Anyways actor Robert Baker is voicing Cobra Commander

The studio hasn't announced it yet, but Paramount will release the film a day early. We got a e-mail from the higher-ups at our theater chain this past Tuesday telling to change the online ticket pre-orders to reflect so.

And Cobra Commander is...

http://www.slashfilm.com/sequel-bit...dame-to-kill-for-transformers-4-the-simpsons/

Most of the G.I. Joe: Retaliation cast have been talking up the movie in public for months, but one key role has remained mysterious — until now. It’s just been revealed that Robert Baker (Justified, Grey’s Anatomy) is voicing the role of Cobra Commander, played in the last film by Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Baker explained his involvement to PopSugar.
Jon Chu, the director, and I went to college together. And he asked me to come and just do a temp track for the voice because he had done it himself and he said, ‘Every time I hear it I get pulled out of the movie and I can’t focus on it.’ So I came in and did the temp track and then just kept doing it and kept doing it and kept doing it. And finally he’s like, ‘The studio just wants you to be the voice of Cobra Commander.’
Baker won’t be the physical presence behind the mask, however. That’d be Luke Bracey. G.I. Joe: Retaliation opens March 28. [via Comic Book Movie]

[YT]z8t3eJUbxCg[/YT]

[YT]ltsSgwDUkyw[/YT]

[YT]0SRq3X79KV8[/YT]

[YT]D2fgTNyhs4w[/YT]

[YT]FoIhOF6vcQY[/YT]

[YT]bmDRd1COvJ4[/YT]

[YT]ITWUFkor-x0[/YT]

That's cool, I dig his Justified work.

Basically you can piece together now that Storm Shadow joins the team. Snake Eyes knocks him out in their fight and takes him back to to the Joes and de-brainwashes him or whatever.

Baker was good on Justified, so hopefully he'll do a good CC voice. I hope he sounds more like the CC of the cartoons instead of just doing the generic "Evil Villain from Wickedville Who Smoked Too Many Cigarettes" voice that they used at the end of the first one.

My head is actually really far from this right now but I saw the last one in theaters and really didn't hate it much, just had something alot different in mind.

It has an interesting enough premise and with a new director and character changes it'll be good to see if this ends up being a decent franchise somewhere down the road.

What I do or don't like from previews:

PROS
- COBRA in the White House
- Zartan as president
- Cobra Commander has the mask
- I don't believe we've heard his voice yet
- Storm Shadow isn't dead(was one of the biggest wtf of the first movie)
- No racially altered characters no one cared about in the first place
- Is that Major Bludd?

CONS
- casting choice aside, I'm not sure I agree with bringing in of Joe Colton at this point
- We all wanted Roadblock in the first chapter instead of Heavy Duty but I don't know if I ever recall Roadblock ever being the focal point of any story.
- Wasn't Storm Shadow dead?

It looks like the pros outweigh the cons so I guess I'll just have to go see it and hope it goes a direction I am positive of.

Perhaps the best thing of the first one is those nanomites and what the crazy s.o.b. Zartan can now do. It really could take this in a very, very interesting direction.

Last edited:
am i the only on who thinks Stormshadows "costume" is well...ridiculous?

He looks more like he should be on a runway or on stage singing to thousands of asian teens.

am i the only on who thinks Stormshadows "costume" is well...ridiculous?

He looks more like he should be on a runway or on stage singing to thousands of asian teens.

Yeah, i think the costume and set design people may have put more heart into it than the writers and directors but the miltary ain't a fashion show. For a lot of people, this is perhaps an overall problem with the presentation of this film version of G.I. Joe. That, or it's simply being helmed from an artiste stand point which isn't necessarily a bad thing but... it's actually about military and war before comic books and/or art. Like I said though, they can still save this and take it in a really awesome direction with the nanomites concept and the shape shifting ability used on Zartan but that remains to be seen.

In all truthfullness in a real world, Snake Eyes would have to be one of the most miserable people on the planet. Since we can't see or hear him, his counterpart(Storm Shadow) could have and should have served as that.

I honnestly never saw this Storm Shadow as putting on a runway show but I see where you are coming from and I said it after I first saw the original in theaters: although I didn't hate it, it seemed to have all the bells & whistles and not enough substance.

G.I. JOE = green canvas and spam sandwiches OR tassles & glitter and soy lattes?

You decide. I think it(G.I. JOE) needs to be something in the middle and this one may need more plain spam sammiches and green canvas. Or just incorporate nanomites and what's been done to Zartan and multiply it by 1000x, cast Mel Gibson as Major Bludd, and watch Saving Private Ryan before doing a third one and try going from there.

Duke aside, I think Major Bludd was the most uncared for character in the whole G.I. Joe universe. The only difference, now that I am older, is it works really well for Major Bludd. Who better to be the biggest piece of crap in the G.I. Universe than the media's favorite anti-semite, Mr. Mel Gibson! Major Bludd was the action figure with the loose joints who nobody picked because no kid had any idea what to do with the guy with the eye patch, the fumanchu, and the english ghetto accent. Hell, let him direct it to.

That said, no kid knew what to do with Duke either and I still don't think anyone does. SUburban white kids knew more what to do with Roadblock or even Stalker than with Duke. Keep the nanomites and Zartanx1000, cast someone for this guy:
gijoe-cobra-issue-1-cover-by-howard-chaykin.jpg

And start thinking about just how much he looks like he could be Duke and maybe somehow someone can figure out the real Duke. Duke never played second fiddle to anyone, let alone Roadblock - that isn't Duke Hauser on the movie screen.

Last edited:
Man those interviews were kind of dull. Nothing really interesting or relevant.

How if JGL was the first one and Robert Baker is this one

Okay, reading that article got me even more pumped to see this film.
That was a total fluff piece to me, I dunno. Most of the things that guy wrote were pretty much garbage obvious stuff and stuff we've known about for like two years.

He's talking about GUN FU and gun combat and martial arts like it's never been done before. A lot of movies have combined gun play and martial arts. This is hardly the first movie to do it. Weintraub clearly didn't do his research or check his facts.

All that and he calls it GI JOE: Retribution at the end. After he explains, "It's called Retaliation because GI JOE and Cobra are retaliating." Gee you think? I wonder what a title like Retaliation means. I thought it meant they were taking tallies of stuff again, LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"