News & Discussion Thread

Well they screened the movie last night so I'm sure some spoilers will come out.

I don't know. It seems like they just ignore most of the things that happened in the first movie and the absence of a lot of characters is not explained.

If all the other GI JOE are "dead," then what happened to the ones from the first movie? Did they retire or something? What happened to General Hawk?

I hated Channing Tatum when the last movie came put. Since then, 21 Jump Street came out. Now, I absolutely adore him.

I am looking foward to White House Down which features Tatum and Jamie Lee Fox as The President.

I hated Channing Tatum when the last movie came put. Since then, 21 Jump Street came out. Now, I absolutely adore him.
I wouldn't use adore but I can't dismiss him after that charming, funny wonderful turn in 21 Jump Street. He was horrible in GI JOE but I'm optimistic about his performance in this film as I'm hoping that the material is better and that he plays up his charms this time. So yeah, I'm leaning towards like right now. He needs a couple of more performances like his Jump Street one to have me fully in his corner though.

Maybe it's the mad love for The Rock, admiration for Bruce Willis, Ninjas and or the lack of crappy CGI powersuits but I am looking forward to Joe 2 and that is a feat cosidering how much of a missed opportunity I thought the first one was.

Maybe it's the mad love for The Rock, admiration for Bruce Willis, Ninjas and or the lack of crappy CGI powersuits but I am looking forward to Joe 2 and that is a feat cosidering how much of a missed opportunity I thought the first one was.

And the fact that it's directed by someone who's actually a fan of G.I. Joe. And the fact that Larry Hama, a writer for bunch of G.I. Joe comics, posted a short review saying how much he really, really enjoyed this film.

A G.I Joe comic book writer praising a G.I Joe film directed by a G.I. Joe fan.

If I was anymore excited for this, my head would explode.

Larry Hama had nothing negative to say the first one either. Wasn't Stephen Sommers a GI JOE fan as well? And he had a lot more experience directing as well.

Sommers idea of GI Joe was so dull and lifeless and cheesy in all the wrong ways. It felt like Sommers going through the "Mummy" motions again.

If that is what we get with a more experienced director, I'll take an amateur. The new film could suck for all I know but it won't make the original any less lame.

Larry Hama had nothing negative to say the first one either. Wasn't Stephen Sommers a GI JOE fan as well? And he had a lot more experience directing as well.

He had negatives to say about this one. His short review felt very honest

I like Hama and all, but I mean he "liked" the first movie as well.

As far as we knew, Sommers was a fan of GI JOE. Chu being this "fan" doesn't convince me it will make it better.

The first film was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. If we're talking only films by major studios and excluding movies made for $100 by people who didn't know what they were doing (i.e. Manos: The Hands of Fate) then it might be THE worst movie I've ever seen. I don't understand how anyone can enjoy it, even people like Harry Knowles.

That said, the early positive reviews give me some hope. The two that I read did lead me to believe, however, that Channing Tatum's *****e character not only survives, but has a bigger role than we all thought. If so, then that's discouraging. Granted, he turned it OK performances in Haywire and 21 Jump Street (I still thought the latter was an overrated pile of crap though), but I'm not ready to forgive him yet for his awful performance in the first GI Joe. But maybe if he makes Duke a little less wooden here I can let it go. Maybe.

The early positive reviews aren't surprising though. One was Harry Knowles from AICN. I mean he loves stuff like this so its right up his alley. Moriarty from AICN liked the first one as well.

Another couple are outlets I've never even heard of.

Reviews seem to be pretty positive so far. I'm excited!

I wonder if they will release the "No Duke" version on Blu-Ray ?

LOL. I doubt it. Duke looks like he still dies, it just looks like they made more bromance scenes with him and The Rock.

It's getting positive reviews because it's a film that fully embraces the fun and ridiculousness of it's material.

I mean the few positive reviews of the first one basically said the same thing.

Also it's at 73% with only 15 reviews, only 11 fresh on RT.

I'm pretty confident that this will stick closer to the GI Joe lore than ROTC. Cobra Commander actually looks right, and there are still lots of guns and gadgets but no motion suits. Also, from watching clips and featurettes, the cast seems to have much more chemistry than in ROTC. I'm really excited to see Storm Shadow's expanded role. Firefly looks great too. This seems to be closer to the Expendables than to ROTC, which is fine by me. I'm predicting the tomatometer will end up being close to Expendables 2.

Last edited:
The Expendables was crap, Rise of Cobra was better. I mean this looks better than The Expendables too, just saying that's a crappy comparison to give it.

What's disappointing is reading that the ending is incredibly small in scale, like two tanks and a fan boat on a beach in Louisiana.

The Expendables was crap, Rise of Cobra was better. I mean this looks better than The Expendables too, just saying that's a crappy comparison to give it.

What's disappointing is reading that the ending is incredibly small in scale, like two tanks and a fan boat on a beach in Louisiana.

The Expendables was NOT crap lol. Rise of Cobra sucked and was way worse than Expendables buddy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"