News & Discussion Thread

I'd say this one definitely set that up nicely.

I knew it. We were so sure it was going to fall on its ass, but never underestimate the power of COBRA. The third one may as well go big with a giant battle between all Joes and Cobra.

With lasers and stuff!

Makes me wonder what was so bad about it before. They probably would've made more money with the original date.

Andrew Stewart @Variety_Stewart
Yo Joe! After a $132 mil opening for G.I. JOE: RETALIATION, Paramount said it will move forward with a third JOE.

So, I guess with Retaliation having cleaned up pretty much everything from Rise of Cobra out of the way, the next film can pretty much go all out and do an all out war between the Joes and Cobra.

With lasers and stuff!

Makes me wonder what was so bad about it before. They probably would've made more money with the original date.

No way. It was smart move to back away from last summers movie lineup.

This was an ideal move to release it in March, they got plenty of time to make some cash before the summer is officially underway with IM3.

No way. It was smart move to back away from last summers movie lineup.

This was an ideal move to release it in March, they got plenty of time to make some cash before the summer is officially underway with IM3.

Why would they have to worried about Iron Man if they stuck with their original date?

Their original date of June 29, 2012?

Yeah. If they kept the original date, maybe they would've made more money. At least in terms of the opening weekend. Time will tell if this delay for 3D and whatever other reasons was worth it.

Yeah I'm not buying it. Green Lantern got a sequel announced as well.

Yeah I'm not buying it. Green Lantern got a sequel announced as well.

Ah, but the lackluster opening that pic got pretty much killed any sequel motions. Had it done gangbusters overseas (like $400M internationally), we'd have a GL sequel.

Retaliation has already broke even on its production cost (minus the P&A and 3D costs) thanks to its stellar overseas opening. It's pretty much guaranteed to double Cobra's international cume, if not more than that.

IMHO to me this was a lackluster opening. But hey maybe the movie will make $400 million overseas.

Green Lantern also still made like $200 million overseas as well.

This movie I don't think is going to make $150 million domestic like the first one either. And that was in 2009 without 3D. I don't see how the international box office is enough to justify a third movie.

Because the first movie only made $300 million WW and that was enough to get a sequel. Sure the domestic total is gonna drop but $400 million WW on this recent one is still something. Plus the budget for this new one was lower too.

Channing's acting was just a slight better this time around and was actually [blackout]shocked that he get killed early, I thought the delay of release was to add[/blackout] more of Duke and Roadblock's bromance.

Well...
The added scenes were used for the beggining.

Curious to know who preferred the cliff battle of this film to the Paris chase of the first.

I personally personally prefer the Paris one. More joes, bigger stakes, just as much snake eye bad assery. More elements.
The one down side being the use of CGI.

That paris run as far as Snake Eyes is concerned, is a primo example of what Captain America should be doing...

The Paris chase might be better because the stakes were raised and we did get the team element. The cliff fight is awesome , but we knew Snake Eyes wasn't going to drop Storm Shadow. The failure in Paris was surprising.

Weren't they out at the perimeter on the bridge? I swear there was one quick clip of them killing a couple of soldiers. Sure it wasn't much, but I think I saw them.

I must of blinked. :woot:

Stellar global bow for 'Retaliation' spurs plans for 3D three-quel
Andrew Stewart said:
Yo Joe! Say hello to a three-quel!

The muscular $132 million global bow for “G.I. Joe: Retaliation” has spurred Paramount to move forward with plans for a third installment in the Hasbro franchise, sources confirmed Sunday morning.

The seemingly snappy decision to make a third “Joe” isn’t surprising considering Par has had ample time to think it over; the first film, “Rise of the Cobra,” bowed in 2009. “Retaliation” also was delayed nine months for re-shoots and the 3D conversion.

“Retaliation,” which is an MGM-Skydance co-production, cost less ($130 million) than “Cobra,” which rang in at $175 million.

“Retaliation” outdid its predecessor by 35% globally, thanks in no small part to the 3D upcharge. If “Retaliation” continues to keep that same lead (and it could), the film will land in the ballpark of $410 million worldwide. “Cobra” grossed $303 million globally.

One thing is for certain, however: “G.I. Joe 3″ will most definitely be in 3D.

G.I. Joe And Transformers Crossover? The Producer Tells Us How It Could Happen
Eric Eisenberg said:
Well, in terms of Joe, for example like G.I. Joe and Transformers both happen to be Hasbro, Paramount and you.

Lorenzo di Boanventura :

I guess it’s possible. I don’t know. I think I probably at this moment, I resist it. I don’t know necessarily why, but I just think there’s so much that’s so rich in the mythologies that I don’t think they need to draw from the other. I think, I didn’t rule it out for me and I think those things have somehow for me, sort of in the past, they made me feel like a little bit cynical exercises in just drawing money out of something. It’s not to say you couldn’t do it well, but both these properties have such rich mythologies with so many characters, that you could go a lot of movies before you start running out of ideas of what to do. But it’s not to say, if we found the right... I’d hate to set out to do that, but if I heard a story where we went, “Oh my God...,” I could see a story right now about machination, machination of war and that could lead you sort of intrinsically to a Transformer.

As much as fanboys claim to despise both live action franchises, we'd **** ourselves if they ever announced something like that.

I thoroughly enjoyed it! Much better take on Cobra Commander. Ray Stevenson was pretty cool as Firefly. The Snake Eyes action in scenes in the mountains were terrific! John Chu did pretty well! I think Masters of The Universe will be in good hands.

These are some interesting concept designs for Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow and Firefly.

I really pray that there's a battle in the middle of part 3 and Rodblock, Flint, Jaye, and a new character are losing and boom a masked black ops team strikes in to save the day and then back at base are revealed to be Duke, Scarlet, Ripcord, Mouse and Sargent Stone.

I just realized that they never touched upon how Storm Shadow survived his death in ROC.

Not once.

Ok I really don't get why this movie is somehow good and better than Rise of Cobra. Please explain.

Don't get me wrong, I liked The Rock, Adrianne Palicki and Bruce Willis as well as Channing Tatum's 10 minutes of screen time, but I felt that the plot was rather dull and to me, without having more of the original cast it does not feel like a sequel. This far outweighs the good stuff about the movie.

I honestly thought when they delayed the movie that they were planning on changing the script they would not kill Duke off. I enjoyed the banter with Channing and The Rock and reminded us why men can freely say they like Channing Tatum (I liked his performance in movies like 21 Jump Street etc).

In G.I. Joe cannon(like comics, cartoons etc) is Duke really that important? If not I guess I could reluctantly accept what happened and move on. I sincerely hope that if they do G.I. Joe 3 they bring back everyone else. I mean, who wouldn't want to see Dennis Quaid's character interact with Bruce Willis?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"