News & Discussion Thread

I hated the first one with a passion...this one felt more like the toys and cartoons brought to life. The bright spot for me was Cobra Commander...I loved the outfit and mask which just screamed CC to me...further his voice was awesome...very deep and intimidating...loved his dialogue, the mannerisms...wish he had a ton more of screentime but none the less, he was amazing...

What do they have against France? They destroy the Eiffel Tower in the first one and now they blow up the whole country?! Anyway, as a person who didn't grow up with GI JOE this film felt like a great popcorn flick. Too many characters and Zartan cowering at the end after being all funny and stuff was pretty disappointing. And man why did Duke have to die? However, the action was top-notch. Story-wise, no thanks. I could watch it again though.

PS: As for the good stuff, there's, again, the action scenes and the characters themselves(besides Zartan) were all awesome. I can give the actors a lot of credit for this one.

What do they have against France? They destroy the Eiffel Tower in the first one and now they blow up the whole country?! Anyway, as a person who didn't grow up with GI JOE this film felt like a great popcorn flick. Too many characters and Zartan cowering at the end after being all funny and stuff was pretty disappointing. And man why did Duke have to die? However, the action was top-notch. Story-wise, no thanks. I could watch it again though.

PS: As for the good stuff, there's, again, the action scenes and the characters themselves(besides Zartan) were all awesome. I can give the actors a lot of credit for this one.

You want the long version or the short version?

:oldrazz:

I saw this last night. I hated Rise of Cobra but I was expecting better from this with The Rock and what looked like a better Cobra Commander. Well, I pretty much hated it. It's boring and makes absolutely no sense. None of the jokes are funny and the only line that got a reaction out of me was Cobra Commander's "Oorah!". Other than that line, it's insane how generic Cobra Commander is. I mean, he has no mannerisms at all. You'd think with a character that spends the entire movie wearing a mask..

Well, other than those few seconds where we see him unmasked, looking like a cheap Darth Vader...

..they'd have him express himself through body movements. But he pretty much walks straight and turns his head. It's Cobra Commander, it's okay to be even slightly over the top. Seriously, he has zero presence.

When Cobra takes over the White House, what do you want to see? Perhaps Cobra Commander standing in front of the presidential podium while giving an epic villainous speech? Nah, they spend more time on Zartan then they do Cobra Commander.

I'm not a hardcore Joe fan and all this movie tells me about Jinx is that she's Storm Shadow's cousin. And she has trouble seeing when wearing a mask, despite the mask not covering her eyes. Firefly and Storm Shadow seem to have the same problem.

I could have sworn Bruce Willis had a team of old men. I have no idea where they went after one scene.

I thought the movie was fun and entertaining, but liked the first more. The only thing I absolutely hated was that cheesy "here are the characters, here is what is happening" montage. I think the film would have worked and flowed much better throughout it. And all of that information can easily be inferred by everything that follows to a point that wasn't needed. In the end, I think it was something forced upon the film by the studio. 7/10

so duke still died all that hype about adding more of channing tatum.i thought with the reshoots he would have made it.i don't think we will get a 3rd film this wont make back its 135 mill budget domestically.

This movie was fun at times but I found it mostly boring. The whole plot thread of Snake Eyes needing to go to the mountains to find Storm Shadow and stuff felt so out of place with the main plot of the movie. Aside from the ninja mountain sequence the other action scenes were alright but nothing you haven't seen before.

This movie will most likely drop domestically but its gonna pass the first movie WW so that definitely leaves room for a third movie.

No, the guy that was yelling after it had a French flag pin.

I think he didn't want to be next. I thought it was funny the last holdout was N.Korea.

I could have sworn Bruce Willis had a team of old men. I have no idea where they went after one scene.

That probably wound up on the cutting room floor. I don't remember seeing them again either.

This movie is getting some mixed ends of spectrum reviews. On one end alot of people find it to be a vast improvement over the flawed first(one look at ripcord and his actions compared to the rock and that should be apparent).

On the other end, many people still find it dumb(obviously not compared to the source material..).

29% on RT.

I think it could have been better, but for the kids(which is what really matters), this was such a great time. My one big change would have been to have the entire mountain ninja situation more towards the end..it was mostly downhill from there cinematically. And also keeping Tatum around for the entire film would have generated more $$ no doubt.

The first movie tried to be goofy fun. This tried to take things a bit more serious but mostly failed cause things were just so boring at times. Not surprised at the lower %.

Curious to know who preferred the cliff battle of this film to the Paris chase of the first.

I personally personally prefer the Paris one. More joes, bigger stakes, just as much snake eye bad assery. More elements.
The one down side being the use of CGI.

That paris run as far as Snake Eyes is concerned, is a primo example of what Captain America should be doing...

Definitely an improvement over ROC which was garbage, the movie was better than I expected with still a few flaws that I'll mention later, Cobra Commander was better this time and his suit was real snazzy, I can understand there being slight variations such as altering costumes for live actions sake such as Firefly constantly taking off his mask but I can live with that.

I also like that they didn't have the Joes running around in those Power Ranger suits.

Channing's acting was just a slight better this time around and was actually [blackout]shocked that he get killed early, I thought the delay of release was to add[/blackout] more of Duke and Roadblock's bromance.

now for the flaws, the ninja mountain fight was pretty cool if a bit too long that I was yawning a bit same with Roadblock and Firefly's last fight. I also didn't like that with Roadblock was in charge giving orders which I can understand because of Dwayne Johnson but I'm so used to the cartoon that I would've preferred Flint giving the orders but only after getting a better actor for Flint of course.

And oh yeah Lady Jaye was hot.

Curious to know who preferred the cliff battle of this film to the Paris chase of the first.

I personally personally prefer the Paris one. More joes, bigger stakes, just as much snake eye bad assery. More elements.
The one down side being the use of CGI.

Pretty much all the action in the first felt better executed imo. No doubt the cliff battle was the highlight of this film though.

It wasn't worse than the first, but I wouldn't say it was better. Duke was more interesting in this one than the last one. They should have killed Flint instead.

As others said, the whole ninja plot felt out of place. And clearly Willis was there for the paycheck. I've seen him phone in performances before, but it felt like he literally didnt read the script until he filmed the scene.

And how exactly did they prove Zartan was the fake President since there's no video of him changing back?

Movie only made $40 million for the opening weekend. $50 million with Thursday and the midnights.

I think he didn't want to be next. I thought it was funny the last holdout was N.Korea.

That probably wound up on the cutting room floor. I don't remember seeing them again either.

Weren't they out at the perimeter on the bridge? I swear there was one quick clip of them killing a couple of soldiers. Sure it wasn't much, but I think I saw them.

by the way, I like about 20 minutes from Fort Sumter and I don't remember seeing Cobra anywhere. Totally would've enlisted.

Overall, movie was good, not great. It was what I expected from a GI Joe movie. Action, gadgets, ninjas, etc. There was too much forced humor and too much on the ninja route, some scenes were shoehorned in, sometimes out of place, and some lines were VERY poorly written. But overall, for a GI Joe movie, it was good.

I give it a B.

Movie only made $40 million for the opening weekend. $50 million with Thursday and the midnights.

Considering the negative response and under performance of the first film domestically (which also had a more expensive budget by a big name veteran director), that's not a bad opening weekend. IMO, this movie MIGHT have performed better if it was a complete reboot and certain characters weren't killed off (and Ernie Hudson playing the Blind Master instead of RZA).

Only? Thats a pretty great opening. Over 130 million worldwide so far. I think it'll continue to have decent legs until Iron Man 3 comes out. Moving it to this weekend was a great idea even though it was handled poorly. Bring on a sequel

I knew it. We were so sure it was going to fall on its ass, but never underestimate the power of COBRA. The third one may as well go big with a giant battle between all Joes and Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"