Batman Begins Nice Coat

it shouldnt have been said in that moment. it took away some of the powerful emotions in that scene by serving up a line with the purpose of making the audience smile. directors should know how to fully realize the potential of a particular scene. and he failed doing that in that scene by delivering nice coat. i just thought it could have been more poweful without the nice coat. its not that i hate it though.

One Nate Seven said:
amen

get in the way of respectability from the audience? thats bull***, ill do a freakin survey with general public normal people who didnt read the comics or watch the TV show faithfully or anything.. they wont think its corny at all.. ive never met a human who thought "nice coat" was corny until i saw 2 posts on this board

now i posted this and theres HELLA you people who think its cheesy

"its the car right, chick dig the car" now what is THAT?

"nice coat" its so REAL LIFE and anti super hero

Just to put it in perspective, it's not something to start a fire in the backyard and begin burning dvds over. Like I did to the star wars prequels.

It just looks too obvious that they stuck typical hollywood-movie from the 90s oneliners in there to get a chuckle out of you that I'd prefer it if they didn't. If it was more involved with the story and had emotional payoff like the "didn't you get the memo" oneliner then it'd be much better. so I'm not saying oneliners are bad or ruined teh batman, the shakey cam did that, just that they didn't do some of them as good as they could have.

amen luda. This aint passion of the christ.

I believe the "Nice coat" line had a purpose. After taking down about a dozen heavily armed thugs, which no doubt the homeless guy witnessed, Batman wanted to reassure the man that he had nothing to fear, that Batman was a friend, and the only ones that had to worry about him were the bad guys.

**** this might as well be a poll..

but get this.. that line isn't FUNNY

and i don't think it was intended to be funny.. it was something more to the level of the "did you get the memo" line.. Nice coat doesn't make me laugh nor did it make a fully packed theater laugh... its supposed to make you smile and reflect on their past relationship and here they are now n stuff

Just about every line in B&R had me burst out laughing...atleast Freeze's lines and the sad part is that it wasn't intended to be silly or funny

It was a slick line a reminder if you will, that Bruce is back and Batman is his new life. He slightly nodded and acknowledged the last thing he did before he went off (give the dude his coat)

Mr. Socko said:
This was the worst line, just corny, something I'm sure that Dave Goyer insisted on being in. But I liked the line "I gotta get me one of those"
I think that the "At least tell me what it looks like..."/"... Nevermind." line was the worst one, and that "Nice ride" was completely unnecessary and served no good purpose.

The line you mentioned is actually worse than the "Nice coat" line... A policeman says that, to himself, after he sees a man, the one he thought wanted to help the city, crushing the front of a police car and almost killing two police officers in the process? No. BUT, I laughed. The moment was built up well, and Oldman delivered the tired, old line in such a good way.

Beelze said:
I think that the "At least tell me what it looks like..."/"... Nevermind." line was the worst one, and that "Nice ride" was completely unnecessary and served no good purpose.

The line you mentioned is actually worse than the "Nice coat" line... A policeman says that, to himself, after he sees a man, the one he thought wanted to help the city, crushing the front of a police car and almost killing two police officers in the process?

Agreed.

And I agree that the corny lines - oneliners or dialogues - were extremely well handled by the actors. If not for their superb talents the corniness would have ruined part of the magic.

So... out with Goyer!

Nice Coat wasn't SO bad, though I still wish it wasn't in the movie. "Excuse me", when he went through the cell in Arkham was terrible though.

"Excuse me" bit was funny it's fuunier when two inmates look at each other!

The "Time to play" line was also bad... perhaps the worst one, now that I rethink things a bit. It would've been enough to just show us Crane being given his mask back.

One Nate Seven said:
why does everyone dislike that line? when i heard it and everytime after i got chills.. the huge anticipation of when the darkknight comes to be... an after achieving victory after disppearingfor years he sees the last person he talked 2 in gotham..

it was like he was hinting that "hey its me, and im BACK, wont get tossed out of a club THIS time"

hard to explain but it baffles me why it can be percieved as "corny" or a one liner.. it looked like casual human to human interaction with no desire to be funny

It was a bad line and scene but ultimately so minor that it doesn't harm the integrity of the movie.

Archangel said:
Nice Coat wasn't SO bad, though I still wish it wasn't in the movie. "Excuse me", when he went through the cell in Arkham was terrible though.

If you delete the Excuse Me line and just left those two guys looking at each other, you'd see how much better the scene is without it.

"Excuse me" is classic Batman though. Always the consumate gentleman lol. I could say Keaton saying that.

The "nice coat" line didn't bother me so much as the fact that that moron bum wouldn't actually still be hanging out having a bite to eat after a bunch of shots from a full-auto machine gun had just gone off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"