First Avenger No big names in Captain America... yet.

yea saw the news of jones being confirmed by haley hopefully we have official word soon.

Jones and Weaving are big enough names to carry attention. Evans will get alot of girlies in the seats.

yea and still we have clue how casting is going to end up for the sss doctor, or what ever invaders we have. So we will probably end up with maybe one or two not well known folks, some modest known guys like evans/cooper are, and maybe an additional big name like tommy lee jones/weaving.

With Neal McDonough on the cast, I still don't feel he's a big enough name. Marvel should've hired someone on the Tommy Lee Jones level for Dum Dum. People will recognize McDonough when they see him, but his name won't ring many bells for the general audience.

I think they are being quite clever here. Despite the fact that they haven't brought in A-list type stars (with the exception of Tommy Lee-Jones and maybe Hugo Weaving), guys like Neal McDonagh are very recognisable to audiences.

Just looking at his bio now, McDonagh has been in Desperate Housewives, Band of Brothers, Minority Report and Flags Of Our Fathers (two of those were big WW2 productions - coincidence?) - so audiences will recognise his face and know him as a good actor. Same with quite a few of the other casts members such as Sebastian Stan and Toby Jones. People will cotton on to them pretty quickly.

And remember, they probably don't want too many big names/faces overshadowing the guy playing Cap himself, just some decent recognisable actors around him. So they are having to do a balancing job here.

A note on Dum Dum though: I would have LOVED him to have been played by Woody Harrelson, reckon he'd have been awesome. But i'm sure McDonagh will do a good enough job.

I don’t think we’re going to get any big names other than Jones and Weaving. I believe Marvel is banking on people being fully invested in the Marvel Movie Universe. No way will people see TIH, IM1, IM2, & THOR then skip seeing Cap movie and go straight to The Avengers. Cap is the last one before The Avengers. People are going to be fully invested and have to see how it all comes together before the big one.

The cast for Cap, much like Thor, is bringing in a lot of well-respected actors to round it out. I really love the way that Marvel is going after good actors who are recognizeable but aren't the big A-list superstars that tend to take over a movie. Hopefully we will hear casting for Union Jack soon.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Renner make an appearance alongside SLJ in Cap, probably as part of the recovery team.

Last edited:
The cast for Cap, much like Thor, is bringing in a lot of well-respected actors to round it out.
Tommy Lee Jones, maybe Toby Jones...who else? I wouldn't say that two makes a lot

Tommy Lee Jones, maybe Toby Jones...who else? I wouldn't say that two makes a lot

What about Weaving? McDonough is a good actor, and though they are young Atwell and Stan have also done some good work. I would bet that Renner makes an appearance, and there should be no question to his abilities.

I much prefer the casting of Thor and Cap to the others myself. The mix of new blood and established talent is more exciting than a full on Hollywood cast.

yea they dont need to have all A list actors all the time. It is better at times to go with solid actors/character actors and all that. Plus we know marvel is doing things on modest pay for their actors. So going with a huge a lister all the time they might be turned off at doing a smaller pay thing and all that. I think the cast is shaping up just fine.

I think it's great to see McDonogh in this. He really should have been Captain America if they made this movie 20 years ago.

the GP knew who Superman was. That didn't stop the PTB to put Brando in that movie. Or Nicholson in Batman.

I mean, look at the cast of IM: RDJR, Bridges, Paltrow, Bettany; TIH: Norton, Tyler, Roth, Hurt; IM2: RDJR, Rockwell, Rourke, Paltrow, Bettany, Johannson, SLJ; Thor: Hopkins, Portman, Russo, Skarsgaard

Those are big names and they all sound even bigger in comparison to the cast of CAP.

The only slightly known name is Weaving who has managed to gather a cult following amongst comic book, fantasy or sci fi nerds, but is just a little bit more than unknown to the rest of the world. he is basically on the same level as bruce campbell. (and bc is probably the better actor, imo)

I'm laughing at this post, not because you said anything wrong, but because I remember in the IM boards having arguments with a certain individual who said that IM had no marketable stars outside of Bridges.

They should cast Zac Efron or one of the Twilight boys as Baron Zemo. :cwink:

Who gives a flip.

What matters is that the actors picked so far can all deliver good performances.

Also for a movie like this the more money they have for battle choreography, visual effects, and promotion the larger the chances of the film being a success.

Johnston will be the biggest factor to keep an eye on this entire project. He is the one that will either make or break Captains America movie future.

This is a corner stone movie in Johnston's career. If he doesn't get it done here, he's done.

well i hope joe does well with the film and hopefully with the crew he has and the folks at marvel will keep things in check.

Stupid Thread, it's not the big names, it's the acting clout and you really can't get any better than toby jones and hugo weaving, two very respected, very well known actors. To top it off Tommy Lee Jones? (rumoured or confirmed?) Plus i think NightRaven might be living in the 90's no one has cared or really felt that Chris Evans (the ginger one) has been relevant for years (apart from boning billie piper) Pretty much any average joe has seen Fantastic Four now, they might not recognize him by name but they will know him by face.

The movie now has Tommy Lee Jones, Stanley Tucci & Toby Jones...all respectable actors. It looks better each day.

Hugo Weaving, Tommy Lee Jones, now Stanley Tucci... This cast is full of big names, not marquee superstars maybe, but prestigious, well-kinown actors.

Agreed. I love the way that Marvel has cast their movies. They could've easily gone for superstars in some of these roles, but instead they give the title roles to up-and-comers and surround them with familiar faces with a lot of acting heft behind them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"