• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Dark Knight Rises No quick-cuts for the climax, please?

Look at the final Joker monologue, though. Absolutely one of the best scenes in the film. Great cinematography to compliment a speech from the Joker that summed up Batman's new reality with the underworld of Gotham, one that went spiraling off the deep end into a laughing madness only to cut to the next scene without warning, phasing, fading, anything.

'Hahahahaaha--'
'Harvey letemgo!'
I love the way that scene abruptly ends, because it plays with the idea of Joker being almost an apparition, a force that materializes on the street corner at the beginning and vanishes as the police move in to take him at the end. It leaves him hanging there, consumed with his own insanity and malice. It's jarring when it cuts to the empty, silent, bombed warehouse with Gordon, but its very effective.

Exactly! Anyway, if we move on from the ending, it's true that I'd have preferred some of Nolan's scenes to give us a little more breathing space, but in the end the tight edits gave TDK the sort of pulse-pounding effect it needs (and deserves, don't go all Jim Gordon on me now).

I think the ending and the climax are going to be a surprise, especially since they are at the beginning and the whole movie is filmed "Memento" style. Batman finds himself in the fight for his life at the beginning, the movie then cuts to how he got into that mess, going backwards from that moment to the end of TDK. Then we are propelled forward again, and in the final minutes of the film we are back in forward time, and Batman dies, but his legacy propels the people forward in their moral and civic development, so in his death he rises to become the saviour Gotham needs.

I think the ending and the climax are going to be a surprise, especially since they are at the beginning and the whole movie is filmed "Memento" style. Batman finds himself in the fight for his life at the beginning, the movie then cuts to how he got into that mess, going backwards from that moment to the end of TDK. Then we are propelled forward again, and in the final minutes of the film we are back in forward time, and Batman dies, but his legacy propels the people forward in their moral and civic development, so in his death he rises to become the saviour Gotham needs.

Surprise I guess!

Even as a joke post, this post fails.

The best inter-cutting was when when he cut the following scenes together:

1. Dent talking to Rachel at the party.

2. The judge being killed in the car explosion...the cards raining down on the wreckage.

3. The Commisioner getting poisoned.

Cutting those scenes together with Zimmer's score blaring at full force, in the background, was a stroke of genius. It all building up to Joker saying: "Made it!" was very cool too. The level of urgency cutting those scenes together was able to create was masterful and I hope he doesn't surrender that technique at all for TDKR.

Having a climak where it's just Batman and Joker would have been a bit boring, i mean it's only so long that Joker would hold his own befoe Batman just owned him hardcore.

Spider-Man and Green Goblin, both hade super hman strength and what not.

I just hope we don't get the ending shot of the film in a trailer like the last two films, that was quite dissapointing to me.

I actually think it's interesting when I see a trailer shot as the last shot in the film. For one thing, you don't really predict that it's going to be the last shot when watching the trailer and the last shot is usually quite epic, so they probably feel obligated to put it in the advertising.

Who thinks TDKR should end on a high note with Batman and Bane dancing to Billy Ocean's Caribbean Queen. Lets hope Nolan has the right idea and makes this happen.

Batman.jpg
Bane.jpg

[YT]dkXV5O5GfJ8[/YT]

I don't really mind if Nolan does the "quick-cut" climax again, but what I hope he avoids is another double climax. TDK basically had two climaxes, one between Batman, the Joker, and swat, and then another with Two-Face, Bats, and Gordon. While they were both written and executed well, it just makes the story feel clunky.

Actually, I think it's brilliant. Nolan has established himself as a meta-noir writer before a director, nearly every single one of his films has an ending with a grand turnaround.

I would be complaining if he's handle of the narrative was as blatantly obvious as M. Knight Shamanamalahahlkanianses' but I think if anyone can pull it off it's Chris.

Climax are supposed to be grand. But I think what most viewers overlook is how he carefully places all his 'climaxes' (which spill over into denouements by the way) in a rather symbolic setting. In Batman Begins the final confrontation with Ra's took place in the Monorail, a symbol of Thomas Wayne's attempt to save Gotham's depression, now construed and used by Ra's as an instrument to destroy the city proper; later on Bruce and Rachel stand in the remains of Wayne Manor, now adults, and Bruce seals away the object of his fear, having conquered it, he also points at 'rebuilding' the sense of normalcy he'd once lost. in The Dark Knight both Batman and the Joker, larger-than-life entities at this point who are "fighting for Gotham's soul" clash high atop one of the city's tallest skyscrapers, overlooking the city like true elemental beings; the trio meets at the epicenter of a personal tragedy, now in ruins to reflect Harvey's distortion as well as the deconstruction of the alliance (and maybe of Batman's as well). In Inception the final confrontation with Mal occurs in Cobb's created dream, now on the verge of ruin, controlled by the Anima now empowered beyond imagination; 'twist ending' takes place inside Cobb's home, the place he's been dreaming to come to all story long. I can go on and on but you get the point.

If there's one director I DO NOT have a problem with regarding endings, it's Chris Nolan. Those jarring edits only make the overall cinematic quality richer for me. It feels like you're reading a book.

Bravo. Brilliant post!

The best inter-cutting was when when he cut the following scenes together:

1. Dent talking to Rachel at the party.

2. The judge being killed in the car explosion...the cards raining down on the wreckage.

3. The Commisioner getting poisoned.

Cutting those scenes together with Zimmer's score blaring at full force, in the background, was a stroke of genius. It all building up to Joker saying: "Made it!" was very cool too. The level of urgency cutting those scenes together was able to create was masterful and I hope he doesn't surrender that technique at all for TDKR.

Yes! I love that scene, as someone who was always annoyed with the score drowning out scenes in Begins, this one however worked perfectly, right up to the "made it!" part.

Who thinks TDKR should end on a high note with Batman and Bane dancing to Billy Ocean's Caribbean Queen. Lets hope Nolan has the right idea and makes this happen.

Batman.jpg
Bane.jpg

[YT]dkXV5O5GfJ8[/YT]

hahahaha, i just had to play that and imagine those two dancing in some kinda credit sequence montage in the end ala slumdog millionaire.

yeah i have no problem with Nolan's endings, maybe i had a little bit of a problem with the pacing of begins, because it all seemed to go way too fast, but that was pretty much a problem throughout alot of the film. Inception to me remains a perfection of his style that he truly became comfortable with in TDK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"