Nods to "Smallville" or Just Wishful Thinking?

Frontier

Arkham Asylum Inmate
Reaction score
I know "Smallville" isn't beloved by all, and is in fact even controversial to some. But as it was the longest-running series to feature Clark Kent (et all other names) and is fairly recent in memory, I'm just wondering if any small choices where done as subtle nods to it - or if it's just wishful thinking and coincidence + common source material.

Things like how the school bus went off a bridge the same way Lex went off a bridge in the "Smallville" pilot.

How the unknown-to-human-science metal key to the ship Clark came here in was kept in a tool-box in the barn.

The work-shop outside of which Clark was being bullied was named "Sullivan" - common enough name, but made me think of Chloe.

And this one is reaching I know but, the tornado scene compared to the tornado in the season 1 "Smallville" finale.

Also, 3 actors who appeared in "Smallville" to various degrees (Amy Adams just 1 episode, Tahmoh Penikett was in 2 I think and Alessandro Guiliani played Emile Hamilton in like 30-40 episodes) had bit parts in the film. Though that could just be casting and location - the later two lived/worked in Vancouver for the past decade and part of the film was shot there.

Like I said, it could just be coincidence and/or wishful thinking and/or common source material. Or it could be a very subtle nod.

Last edited:
I would only say the names Sullivan and Fordman where the only nods to Smallville.

And also the main scientist on zod's ship played the aged Lex clone in season 10

Sullivan was the Lois and Clark apartment address in the comics. That's where the SV creators got their inspiration first.
1938 Sullivan Street.

But it was great to see all the actors from Smallville. Especially Alessandro playing Emil's assistant :D

Sullivan was the Lois and Clark apartment address in the comics. That's where the SV creators got their inspiration first.
1938 Sullivan Street.

But it was great to see all the actors from Smallville. Especially Alessandro playing Emil's assistant :D

The idea that Smallville was named after Erza Small came from the show though right?

This image was actually taken from the MOS set:

f0e671e92193d746d6e2292be6aaaa31.jpg

The idea that Smallville was named after Erza Small came from the show though right?

I honestly have no idea, I only watched the last seasons. I don't know much of the show's history.

Sullivan being in Smallville, as opposed to Metropolis, is a nod to Smallville, as well as casting Hamilton as Hamilton's assistant. "The Fordman boy" is a dead giveaway. Goyer is a Smallville fan. Go figure.

The bridge and tornado are more coincidences. There are only so many life threatening situations you can get into in a small Kansas town.

Yeah, it was awesome. Also despite how some fans view the show - even comic writers drew inspiration from there, such as BIRTH RIGHT for example who's Jonathan Kent is drawn almost exactly like John Schneider.

Jonathan-and-Martha-Kent.jpg

And also the main scientist on zod's ship played the aged Lex clone in season 10

Pretty sure that's just a coincidence due to the fact that it's easy to see the same Canadian actors in various shows and films shot up there. I mean, the dude that played Dan Turpin was in it too and his role was fairly small as well.

Not that this is a nod to Smallville but wasn't some of Man of Steel shot in the same city as Smallville.

I think there was some definite SMALLVILLE influence in places.

Never saw the show but am aware of some of its incredibly outrageous changes to the Superman myth.

I even found MoS had references to STM and all, go figure.

I know "Smallville" isn't beloved by all, and is in fact even controversial to some. But as it was the longest-running series to feature Clark Kent (et all other names) and is fairly recent in memory, I'm just wondering if any small choices where done as subtle nods to it - or if it's just wishful thinking and coincidence + common source material.

Things like how the school bus went off a bridge the same way Lex went off a bridge in the "Smallville" pilot.

How the unknown-to-human-science metal key to the ship Clark came here in was kept in a tool-box in the barn.

The work-shop outside of which Clark was being bullied was named "Sullivan" - common enough name, but made me think of Chloe.

And this one is reaching I know but, the tornado scene compared to the tornado in the season 1 "Smallville" finale.

Also, 3 actors who appeared in "Smallville" to various degrees (Amy Adams just 1 episode, Tahmoh Penikett was in 2 I think and Alessandro Guiliani played Emile Hamilton in like 30-40 episodes) had bit parts in the film. Though that could just be casting and location - the later two lived/worked in Vancouver for the past decade and part of the film was shot there.

Like I said, it could just be coincidence and/or wishful thinking and/or common source material. Or it could be a very subtle nod.

- I think a car crash into a river is a very common trope in general. It adds another level of danger. So not a nod.

- .........well many people keep things in tool boxes in what is basically a garage for a farmer. So not a nod.

- Maybe

- Well on the one hand they are BSG actors and they appear in stuff a lot. On the other hand I can't see how they had Guiliani in that particular scene with Emil. That had to be deliberate.

For the most part it's just stuff people do or a common trope. But that last thing had to be deliberate.

Looks like a passing of the torch from Smallville to Man of Steel in terms of Dr. Emil Hamilton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"