The Dark Knight Now that its said and done, what would you change?

Reek

_____
Reaction score
I was thinking about a ton of things i would have changed about this movie, but only compared to the trailers really. For instance, the dialogue. in the trailers, it was almost guaranteed it was batman the joker was talking to during most of the voice overs etc. Obviously 'Evening Commissioner' wasnt, but quotes from the trailers like, "Does it depress you? Just how alone you really are..." is it just me, or would this have been better if he said that to batman? i also thought 'lets put a smile on that face' was to batman, but it worked out perfect the way that was.

then, 'and here...we......GO!' wow. this line was so great in the trailers, its actual scene didnt live up to it. i was expecting this line somewhere in the end of the second act to the beginning of the third. joker has escaped jail, and all the ****s about to hit the fan. thats what i was expecting out of it. saying that infront of say some goons that are thinking this ****er is nuts, 'and here we go'...BOOM some **** blows up lol

another thing i would change, the chase scene, shoulda lasted a bit longer and been a bit more intense. the only real highlight is the semi flipping, the batpod flip wasnt bad, but also wasnt THAT much.

the party crashing scene seemed like it was missing something. it was toooo brief of a confrontation....on second heath is just in the zone, then batman comes out of no where, throws 3-4 punches then jumps out the window. however, in all honesty, this scene was probably more realistic.

finally, id change maronis role. he gets maybe 5 minutes of screen time lol. he coulda been used so much more and better.

for the record. not one of these are complaints. i loved the movie 10/10 the way it is. probably my favorite movie of all time, and without a doubt my best theater experience. but about a billion dollars later, weve earned the right to nitpick and say what we would have done differently.

in short. my #1 thing i would change is the dialogue, not what was said, but to whom it was said.

I was thinking about a ton of things i would have changed about this movie, but only compared to the trailers really. For instance, the dialogue. in the trailers, it was almost guaranteed it was batman the joker was talking to during most of the voice overs etc. Obviously 'Evening Commissioner' wasnt, but quotes from the trailers like, "Does it depress you? Just how alone you really are..." is it just me, or would this have been better if he said that to batman? i also thought 'lets put a smile on that face' was to batman, but it worked out perfect the way that was.

then, 'and here...we......GO!' wow. this line was so great in the trailers, its actual scene didnt live up to it. i was expecting this line somewhere in the end of the second act to the beginning of the third. joker has escaped jail, and all the ****s about to hit the fan. thats what i was expecting out of it. saying that infront of say some goons that are thinking this ****er is nuts, 'and here we go'...BOOM some **** blows up lol

another thing i would change, the chase scene, shoulda lasted a bit longer and been a bit more intense. the only real highlight is the semi flipping, the batpod flip wasnt bad, but also wasnt THAT much.

the party crashing scene seemed like it was missing something. it was toooo brief of a confrontation....on second heath is just in the zone, then batman comes out of no where, throws 3-4 punches then jumps out the window. however, in all honesty, this scene was probably more realistic.

finally, id change maronis role. he gets maybe 5 minutes of screen time lol. he coulda been used so much more and better.

for the record. not one of these are complaints. i loved the movie 10/10 the way it is. probably my favorite movie of all time, and without a doubt my best theater experience. but about a billion dollars later, weve earned the right to nitpick and say what we would have done differently.

in short. my #1 thing i would change is the dialogue, not what was said, but to whom it was said.

i agree with everything there, you pretty much summed it up. id like to add some bits:

the "here we..go" i thought would have been well suited before the helicopter being brought down, that could have been classic... rack em up, rack em up, rack em uppp!!!.............*turns off walkie talkie*....and here we..go!!

id have liked the score to have featured more, maybe with 'Like a dog chasing cars' being played through the chase sequence..

only other thing is the whole thing feels a bit rushed...id have been happier if it lastest 6 hours lol

Get rid of the idiot SWAT guy that was with Gordon in the SWAT car chase sequence.

I would completely get rid of the "Have a nice trip, see ya next fall" line

ENTIRE finale. SWAT, hostages, dogs, sonar - no, thank you. I would like to see only Joker vs. Batman.

And I would love to see Joker blowing up both ferries (or them blowing up each other).

Change the Zimmer/Howard score. A LOT of it was either temp-tracked from or rearranged from Batman Begins... I was disappointed that there wasn't enough new music. BB's score was lacking too, although it was fresher and had a bigger sound to it.

If she was alive, Warner Bros. should've "suggested" Nolan to use Shirley Walker to score TDK (and BB) and rework her Batman: Mask of the Phantasm theme into something more electronic to fit with the contemporary Batman. If anyone else has heard Walker's scores for the Final Destination movies, those kinds of synths augmenting the orchestra.

Get rid of the idiot SWAT guy that was with Gordon in the SWAT car chase sequence.

Agreed. That was one of the things that bugged me the most. I also wanted a different finale. Batman and Joker's final confrontation didn't do it for me. I wanted to see more Joker after he was arrested again.

I'd change all the whiney fanboys whining about the damn movie.

It was fine the way it was.

I seriously doubt ANY of you could do better.

I would completely get rid of the "Have a nice trip, see ya next fall" line
Who said that to whom? Dont remember it!
Change the Zimmer/Howard score. A LOT of it was either temp-tracked from or rearranged from Batman Begins... I was disappointed that there wasn't enough new music. BB's score was lacking too, although it was fresher and had a bigger sound to it.

If she was alive, Warner Bros. should've "suggested" Nolan to use Shirley Walker to score TDK (and BB) and rework her Batman: Mask of the Phantasm theme into something more electronic to fit with the contemporary Batman. If anyone else has heard Walker's scores for the Final Destination movies, those kinds of synths augmenting the orchestra.
Its obvious that Nolan wanted to have his own music, not use someone else's. So they wouldnt have done that in any case.
I liked the score just fine! I liked the Begins one and i expected it to reappear here with a few changes as it did. I especially love "I am not a hero" and "why so serious" which always gave us goosebumps everytime the joker was about to do his thang!

Having talked over this with many batman fans, i can tell you that many people love the new score and hear it in their minds everytime someone mentions batman.

Oh, i think that this thread is almost the same as "biggest disappointment". We all did our whining there for the biggest to the smallest disappointment. So why do it all over again here? Its obvious that we would change the things that disappointed us. Right?

I would have made the roles of the kids who shoot cars with their fingers bigger, (and set them up as future robin and nightwing.):woot::cwink:.

This. For me, that guy was the worst part of the whole movie. He even had me cringing on my first viewing of it.

The only thing I would change would be Two-Face. I'd want the movie to end with Batman capturing the Joker (have the same exchange with him hanging upside down ect.) but instead of Bats finding Gordon confronting Harvey, have Bats meet with Gordon outside the building. They both realize that Harvey wasn't with the hostages, speculating on what happened to Harvey.

Then have it end with him walking in on Wertz and the
"I thought you were dead"
pan to Harvey's face as and him saying "Half" then cut to black after the gunshot. (I also wouldn't have shown his face in Gordon scene in the hospital, so it was a big surprise at the end).

That way we could set up Two-Face as the main baddie of the next film, and delve deeper into how his psyche is fragmented, and show more of the dual between the Dent side and Two-face side.

Not only that, but it could be interesting to show Batman researching Dent and learning about his past with his abusive father and all his experiences witch set him up to become Two-Face.

why all the hate on Nicky Katt? actually, his one-liners did suck. why, Nicky, why?

The only thing I would change would be Two-Face. I'd want the movie to end with Batman capturing the Joker (have the same exchange with him hanging upside down ect.) but instead of Bats finding Gordon confronting Harvey, have Bats meet with Gordon outside the building. They both realize that Harvey wasn't with the hostages, speculating on what happened to Harvey.

pan to Harvey's face as and him saying "Half" then cut to black after the gunshot. (I also wouldn't have shown his face in Gordon scene in the hospital, so it was a big surprise at the end).

That way we could set up Two-Face as the main baddie of the next film, and delve deeper into how his psyche is fragmented, and show more of the dual between the Dent side and Two-face side.

Not only that, but it could be interesting to show Batman researching Dent and learning about his past with his abusive father and all his experiences witch set him up to become Two-Face.

Not only singling you out in particular, but why does it seem a lot of people wanted the movie to end on the bar scene cliffhanger? What does that accomplish other than setting up the sequel using a cheap trick (like POTC 2 for example)? There is no real resolution for Dent, no proper conclusion for Bats, and the movie doesn't really have an ending (more like the story just being put on pause until the next one). I'll still, for the life of me, never understand the desire for a cliffhanger ending.

Nothing against you personally though bro. :)

Not only singling you out in particular, but why does it seem a lot of people wanted the movie to end on the bar scene cliffhanger? What does that accomplish other than setting up the sequel using a cheap trick (like POTC 2 for example)? There is no real resolution for Dent, no proper conclusion for Bats, and the movie doesn't really have an ending (more like the story just being put on pause until the next one). I'll still, for the life of me, never understand the desire for a cliffhanger ending.

Nothing against you personally though bro. :)

None taken.

And really, the reason I want a cliffhanger ending is because I think Dent's story was rushed. They did a great job of setting him up, but we only saw maybe 15mins of two-face total. I think Two-Face's character is interesting enough, and could be used in a wider way. As I said in my above post, I think more could have been done with him.

I don't think it sets up a sequel for a cheap trick at all. It only would have set up the audience to know that Two-Face would be a villain in the next story.

And really, Batman would have about the same amount of resolution he had in this movie. You could still have the city hate him, and this would be only furthered by the fact that now Dent is a known criminal. The city would blame this on Batman further, for not coming forward and giving himself up before this happened to Harvey. The third movie would complete the arc, with Batman saving Gotham from Two-Face (and possibly the Riddler) and the city accepting him.

This movie really didn't have a set ending either. Dent is dead, Bats goes off on the run, while Joker is in prison. We still don't know what's going to happen to Batman, or if the city will ever accept him or not.

With my ending, you have basically the same ending, only Batman's not on the run from the cops.

Like I said, I don't think it's a cheap shock to have Harvey revealed to be Two-Face at the end, because it's not like anybody thought he was dead before the bar appearance. It only sets him up for a bigger role in the next movie.

And sometimes some of the best movies end in cliffhangers. Like a little film I like to call Empire Strikes Back.

None taken.

And really, the reason I want a cliffhanger ending is because I think Dent's story was rushed. They did a great job of setting him up, but we only saw maybe 15mins of two-face total. I think Two-Face's character is interesting enough, and could be used in a wider way. As I said in my above post, I think more could have been done with him.

I don't think it sets up a sequel for a cheap trick at all. It only would have set up the audience to know that Two-Face would be a villain in the next story.

And really, Batman would have about the same amount of resolution he had in this movie. You could still have the city hate him, and this would be only furthered by the fact that now Dent is a known criminal. The city would blame this on Batman further, for not coming forward and giving himself up before this happened to Harvey. The third movie would complete the arc, with Batman saving Gotham from Two-Face (and possibly the Riddler) and the city accepting him.

This movie really didn't have a set ending either. Dent is dead, Bats goes off on the run, while Joker is in prison. We still don't know what's going to happen to Batman, or if the city will ever accept him or not.

With my ending, you have basically the same ending, only Batman's not on the run from the cops.

Like I said, I don't think it's a cheap shock to have Harvey revealed to be Two-Face at the end, because it's not like anybody thought he was dead before the bar appearance. It only sets him up for a bigger role in the next movie.

And sometimes some of the best movies end in cliffhangers. Like a little film I like to call Empire Strikes Back.

I can see your point about wanting more Two-Face, but we could have had the exact same situation in the film play out, just without Two-Face dying. He gets stopped, locked up, Bats takes the fall, etc. Like a lot of people believed on these boards.

I guess, with regards to the "cheap trick" mentality, to each his own. As a general movie goer and batfan, I'd personally find it to be a terrible ending, because the sole purpose of it would be to set up a sequel, and I just don't like that in TDK's case. With the amount time spent on Dent in the film, highlighting his character and his arc, he deserved to have a proper resolution than to have it be left open for conclusion in another 3 years.

Once again, in my opinion, I don't feel Batman's resolution would have been as strong as it was without a final confrontation with Dent. The whole movie was leading up to it. From the very moment they met, Bruce saw Dent as his savior, Gotham's savior. The finale, in which Bruce knew that Dent could no longer fulfill his hopes was the pinnacle of the tragedy, and I think it would lose that effect if it was dragged over two movies. But, as always, this is just my opinion.

As for you comment about how the film didn't really have a set ending, I'd have to disagree, and at least say that it's definitely more conclusive than a cliffhanger. A) It ends with Batman, as all these films should B) Harvey Dent, the back bone of the film, the tragic hero, follows the Shakespearean tragic plot line ending with his death, which leads to C) everything in the film is concluded - Dent's tragic hero plot, the Joker's anarchy plot, Batman's build up to status of Dark Knight. The only cliffhanger left is that he is now a wanted man. I'd much rather the sequel explore Batman's redemption and growth to the status of accepted, legendary Gotham protector, than have a cliffhanger ending, which means we need a sequel to resolve some of TDK's main plots.

But as a I said, this is all a matter of opinion, and I got nothing personal against you bro. ;)

PS: At least Empire Strikes Back didn't end with "Luke, I am your father." Cut to black. The cliffhanger was there, but at least the film had something afterward. ;)

Last edited:
You guys are complaining about how audio was cut over a trailer to make things seem action packed to draw the public into the movie?

Uhhh

The only issues I had ... and I consider this by far the best comic book movie, and one of the best films of all-time.

Two-Face was far too cartoonish in the looks department for my taste. I was looking for something much more subtle, believable, and engaging. Didn't go with the visuals of the rest of the film, or even from Batman Begins in context.

Batman's lenses looked stupid and ridiculous, even more so in the context of this movie. Plus, there was no point. If Lucious was relaying him the info, why would he need them anyway? Or vice a versa, if he had them, why would he need Lucious? And then if he wasn't wearing them, the glitch wouldn't have allowed Joker to get a one up on him in the Pruitt building.

I thought the Hong Kong plot point kind of shortly derailed the stronger focus of the movie. That being the war in Gotham City.

Cool sequences, and shows Batman "has no limits" ... but it kind of distracts you given the rest of the movie.

Rachel's Death set him up to become Two-Face. He didnt have any other problems than that. His main problem was that he was jealous of batman being able to break the law and do the right thing. He wanted (and came close) to be able to do that when Rachel was abducted and he lost his self restraint. Rachel's death threw him over the edge and set him out seeking "justice" in the wrong way.

Also, you do realise that if the movie ended the way you describe we wouldnt have had the "dark knight ending". Which was the best part of the movie. The part that explains who batman really is and why we all love him.

Last edited:
None taken.

Dent wasnt out to destroy Gotham or become a mob boss like his comic counterpart. He was out to seek "justice" for Rachel. Perhaps he could serve justice to everyone with his chance system, but would that be interesting?
The point is made. We know how and why he lost it, we know how he sees justice now, what's the point of watching a movie that focuses on that again?
Sure Two-Face is batman's second or third villain but Nolan gave him a short, though full handling. I think that he has already left his mark and made his point.

I think its time we moved on, since Dent's arc dominated TDK, so he would just be a freak killing people in the next movie. There wouldnt be anywhere else to take him as a character.

Some random cop says it after gordon arrests Maroni and all of those mobsters in that restaurant place.
Uh...was that so irritating? Oh come on! I actually found it quite normal.

You guys dont want anything other than expository dialogue right? No chit chat. No real life chatter. Come on, these things fill the gaps in the movie. You cant have only the main characters talking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"