Official: Gotham City Sirens directed by David Ayer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking Ayer might go with his version of Red Skull. And his movie just won an award for make up. He's going practical.

Well Ayer pulled of Deadshot and Katana's costumes without trying to hard to radically change them so I don't think he'd try that with Black Mask. Plus to my knowledge, Margot Robbie is more in control of this than he is since it's the movie she wanted to make.

Black Mask as the villain is a better idea than the rumors about the League of Assassin's or Lady Shiva being the villain.

So are we thinking Ayer's substituting the mask for an all-encompassing skullface tattoo?

2623274d116feef78a8a34186993bd3b.jpg

I don't see why that would happen.

Not sure if you guys have discussed but I main just know DC from all the animation, films, live action shows, & animated dtv's so not a in-depth fan.... Would it be a bad idea for Batgirl to be the antagonist of Sirens movie?
I think that would be a great idea.
But the Black Mask image suggests- perhaps- that the Sirens may be good/bad guys in the Suicide Squad mold in this film. And sadly, maybe no room for Batgirls, Canaries or Huntresses.
Chris McKay seems to like Batgirl- maybe she'll be a match for Nightwing.

So are we thinking Ayer's substituting the mask for an all-encompassing skullface tattoo?

2623274d116feef78a8a34186993bd3b.jpg

Yes, I'm sure they're going to repeat the same visual motif they just used with Diablo.

He's probably going to look like Black Mask. He will either have a black skull mask, or be a Red Skull type. Or both, which would be even better.

Last edited:
I am glad it might be Black Mask. Shows he is going with a more grounded villain and not some kind of Enchantress end of the world thing he failed miserably with in SS.

For those who don't know, Black Mask is notorious for kidnapping and brutally torturing some of Selina's closest friends and family members [see images below]. Considering their long and tumultuous relationship in the comics, it should be interesting to see what type of dynamic they share in GCS.

catwomanblackmask19-5.jpg

tumblr_inline_o43cc1TJ3H1t6zy88_540.jpg

52689860.jpg
[/IMG]

catwomanblackmask35.jpg

Goddammit. Forgot about Black Mask's ties with Selina.

There goes my not caring for Ayer's further tainting of the well.

Someone on Twitter said they should get Denzel for Black Mask. I would love that!

Ayer could pull this one off. Have one big bad who has a strong motive for the things he is doing. Have the 3 "sirens" as leads and keep the supporting characters to the bare minimum. I don't think it's necessary to have Batman in this, and if he does show up, he needs to only briefly show up. Same goes with the Joker. Bringing more characters into the movie that don't add anything other than fan service is how you tank a film.

Just look at Suicide Squad. They could have easily cut the team down to the bare minimum and worked off their strengths and wrote around that. As Bendis wrote about what makes a good villain:
" you need to have empathy or sympathy for every character you are writing about. and it’s not what they’re saying, because even good people say bad things, you have to focus on what they are doing. what choices they are making. And then, to really get into it, to really understand what you are writing about, you have to ask yourself… why? Why are they doing this and why are they like this. That doesn’t mean you forgive them. it just means that you understand them."

For those who don't know, Black Mask is notorious for kidnapping and brutally torturing some of Selina's closest friends and family members [see images below]. Considering their long and tumultuous relationship in the comics, it should be interesting to see what type of dynamic they share in GCS.

catwomanblackmask19-5.jpg

tumblr_inline_o43cc1TJ3H1t6zy88_540.jpg

52689860.jpg
[/IMG]

catwomanblackmask35.jpg

Given the source material, it wouldn't surprise me if Ayer goes for R rating with this, could surprise some people as his last movie (SS) was light hearted campy movie.

With success of R-rated movies like Deadpool and Logan (I hope), WB may allow him to make a grounded, gritty, R-rated movie (and as GCS will have a lower budget.)

Last edited:
So I don't know a great deal re Black Mask outside of animated stuff. Does he wear the mask cause he's disfigured? Or is it just because he wants to stand out?

So much for Justin's BS claim that Gotham City Sirens isn't happening for a long time. However long a long time is.

Weird that he would post that before Ayer posts the Black Mask pic. Unless he defines a long time like 2-3 years or something.

So much for Justin's BS claim that Gotham City Sirens isn't happening for a long time. However long a long time is.

I guess by long time, he means 2-3 weeks. :oldrazz:

(after which, pre-production may start.)

...and in 6 months we will know about the fate of the script that Toby and Ben are both happy with :woot:

I like Black Mask so my interest in this movie just went up a bit

Hope we get the live action look of his video game counterpart
pi06.gif

Need an actor with weird freaky big eyes

someone should dub BM with Bane's voice =P

I think Ayer just confirmed that the villain is going to be black mask

which btw... come to think of it.. The guy Floyd Lawton was talking to on the phone did sound exactly like Black mask. I think the guy who did the voice is the same guy who did the mo-cap for doomsday. They could bring him back to do the voice

Jesus the backstory of Black Mask sounds well messed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"