Guardians of the Galaxy OFFICIAL Guardians of Galaxy Casting Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Gunn knows Drax can be kind of an avant garde type when it comes to things, and hearing poignant stuff coming out via Momoa's somewhat gruff surfer dude-ish voice is a contrast he probably wants in the character.

I'm trying to find examples online, but all I get are panels of him being the silent type, or talking as much or like Hulk. So if he does speak, doubt it's going to be a lot.

Drax has had some nice, understated emotional moments that I would love to see mirrored in the movie.

GotG_Drax_2_zpse5e82088.jpg

Drax is probably the most grimdark guy on the team. Gamora is more sarcastic, Star-Lord is more of the swashbuckle Han Solo fun lover, Rocket is the motormouth braggart and Groot is the intellectual.

Ye Drax carries a great deal of suffering in his personality

Ye Drax carries a great deal of suffering in his personality

Yeah, but Drax's grimdark you guys are talking about is focused primarily on Moondragon, who is not shown to exist in the MCU Guardians yet. Unless and until Moondragon comes aboard, then MCU Drax's whole story is simply an assassin whose whole life is committed to killing Thanos.

Yeah, but Drax's grimdark you guys are talking about is focused primarily on Moondragon, who is not shown to exist in the MCU Guardians yet. Unless and until Moondragon comes aboard, then MCU Drax's whole story is simply an assassin whose whole life is committed to killing Thanos.

If Moondragon isn't around yet...he'd be grim dark cause he'd believe she was dead, along with his wife. Either way, Drax would be Grim Dark.

I've been reading GotG recently, and just tonight came across this rather talkative Drax:
TalkativeDrax.jpg
But its out of character enough to warrant hanging a lampshade a few panels later:
TalkativeDrax2.jpg

If Moondragon isn't around yet...he'd be grim dark cause he'd believe she was dead, along with his wife. Either way, Drax would be Grim Dark.

Yeah, that whole "being-blown-to-smithereens-on-the-way-home-from-Vegas-and-then-being-resurrected-as-an-immortal-assassin-obsessed-with-one-target" deal would tend to depress a guy.

Yeah, that whole "being-blown-to-smithereens-on-the-way-home-from-Vegas-and-then-being-resurrected-as-an-immortal-assassin-obsessed-with-one-target" deal would tend to depress a guy.

Which is why the studio isn't likely to touch Drax's human origin with a ten-foot pole. Maybe if GOTG franchises and spawns successful sequels, they can delve into repressed memories and things like that for Drax, but otherwise, the MCU tries to keep it as simple as possible for general audiences, especially (merch-buying) kids. Drax is most likely going to be portrayed as a born alien assassin instead of some transmogrified human who got body-snatched out of a car wreck on I-15.

Which is why the studio isn't likely to touch Drax's human origin with a ten-foot pole. Maybe if GOTG franchises and spawns successful sequels, they can delve into repressed memories and things like that for Drax, but otherwise, the MCU tries to keep it as simple as possible for general audiences, especially (merch-buying) kids. Drax is most likely going to be portrayed as a born alien assassin instead of some transmogrified human who got body-snatched out of a car wreck on I-15.

A modified version of Drax's origin could serve as a clean way to introduce the team. Assuming his agreement with Loki wasn't Thanos' first attempt at locating the tesseract on earth, the film can begin with an ordinary American family out for a night out, when a chance encounter with an alien vessel goes horribly wrong. Yvette is killed, Arthur is mangled beyond recognition, with the infant Heather the sole survivor. The alien scout goes to clean up the mess, but sensors show the infant to have psychic and telekinetic abilities that could rival Thanos himself. When Arthur and Heather are brought on board for experimentation and training, respectively, we see that others held captives from this trip include a raccoon cub and a sapling.

The same basic origin can work without him being human.

Aliens discover Thanos. Thanos blows up family. Drax survives.

The same basic origin can work without him being human.

Aliens discover Thanos. Thanos blows up family. Drax survives.

I'd be okay with that. And I'd be okay with Moondragon being demonstrably alien. Even if it's just green skin like her daddy.

But I think the Earthling family on vacation backstory is just too hokey for words. Especially the part about being transferred into Drax's body. And it kinda cheapens Quill's story: just how many Earthlings do you expect/want to be already out there on the fringes of space living among aliens? I'd much prefer Quill to be the first and only known human to make that trip.

I don't want Moondragon being green. I prefer her to be her classic bald look. Besides, Gamora is already green skinned.

I don't want Moondragon being green. I prefer her to be her classic bald look. Besides, Gamora is already green skinned.

I agree, if they went the alien route they could have Drax be the only survivor and then he could meet Heather Douglas on Earth in a sequel. Maybe they could have an amalgam of Cammi and Heather where Drax is close to Heather because he's reminded of his deceased daughter. That way we could get green Drax and cut down on the amount of green babes in the movie.

Moondragon should have pale silvery skin, like the *drumroll* moon

And I agree that Quill should be the only human, which is another reason I doubt we'll see Nova or whatshisface as Quasar. In this first film, or sequel(s)

(Phyla as Quasar I could see happening though, if they do something with Mar-Vell first)

I prefer Moondragon to have her normal skin but to be completely hairless like the Deltans in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. If they really wanted to bring out a moon connection they could always give her a bare ass. :oldrazz:

We've seen that Marvel dont mind simplifying or changing up back stories when it comes to the movie universe, is it outside the realms of possibility that we might see Drax and Gamoras origins tweaked with Gamora taking Moondragons role as Drax's daughter? It would kind of simplify things if you think about it, Drax is an alien who's race is wiped out by Thanos, his daughter is taken in and raised as a warrior, he gets saved and receives a power boost and is bent or getting revenge against Thanos.

Its a big move but if you think about it it means they don't need to explain Thanos having previous encounters with earth, merges a whole heap of overly complicated backstories into one slightly less complicated movie friendly version where things like Drax being big mean and green dont need explanations.

I wouldn't mind. That would also explain why there are two green-skinned mostly humanoid aliens, beyond coincidence

We've seen that Marvel dont mind simplifying or changing up back stories when it comes to the movie universe, is it outside the realms of possibility that we might see Drax and Gamoras origins tweaked with Gamora taking Moondragons role as Drax's daughter? It would kind of simplify things if you think about it, Drax is an alien who's race is wiped out by Thanos, his daughter is taken in and raised as a warrior, he gets saved and receives a power boost and is bent or getting revenge against Thanos.

Its a big move but if you think about it it means they don't need to explain Thanos having previous encounters with earth, merges a whole heap of overly complicated backstories into one slightly less complicated movie friendly version where things like Drax being big mean and green dont need explanations.

Works for me. :up: Also, welcome!

I like that angle. The only problem is that it takes Moondragon completely out of the MCU equation; but I'm not so sure they ever intended to use her in any films in the first place. Sucks for guys who are into bald-headed lesbian psychics, I guess, but I think the MCU would manage just fine without her.

I doubt Moondragon was ever in the MCU equation. She's a really weird character, even by comic standards

There's just some **** from the comics that shouldn't be done in any MCU movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"