Guardians of the Galaxy OFFICIAL Guardians of Galaxy Casting Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mamoa has been forgettable in practically all his movie roles.
"Forgettable" is still a fair few steps above Batista in that Iron Fists movie, lol

Although I guess you could say that RZA directing him probably didn't help

Semantics. But sure whatever.

I'm just confused by your logic. According to you the fact that Batista and Momoa were up for the role means we're getting dumb Drax. That's exactly the same logic as the people who assumed we'd get a cocky, jokey Captain America because Chris Evans was cast. There's no reason to assume anything about how the role is written until we see it portrayed up on that screen. I still expect to get the Drax that I've expected all along. The one I know and love from the comics. But at the same time, I know there are a number of ways it could have been written. But the recent casting hasn't changed anything.

Mamoa has been forgettable in practically all his movie roles.
I don't see what that has to do with anything I said...

"Forgettable" is still a fair few steps above Batista in that Iron Fists movie, lol

Ya, not exactly an actor's director LOL.

Tell you one thing, Marvel just struck gold from a marketing perspective. The WWE is going to be touting the heck out of this film and they have millions upon millions of fans worldwide, many of whom will now go check this thing out.

It's a win-win for Marvel as long as Dave doesn't completely f- it up.

Tell you one thing, Marvel just struck gold from a marketing perspective. The WWE is going to be touting the heck out of this film and they have millions upon millions of fans worldwide, many of whom will now go check this thing out.

They should cast The Rock as Thanos, let the WWE handle the Drax vs Thanos marketing next year for them. lol

I kinda feel this might be key right here. I really doubt RZA is a great director.

I'm just confused by your logic. According to you the fact that Batista and Momoa were up for the role means we're getting dumb Drax. That's exactly the same logic as the people who assumed we'd get a cocky, jokey Captain America because Chris Evans was cast. There's no reason to assume anything about how the role is written until we see it portrayed up on that screen. I still expect to get the Drax that I've expected all along. The one I know and love from the comics. But at the same time, I know there are a number of ways it could have been written. But the recent casting hasn't changed anything.

I never thought that because fortunately I had seen Chris Evans in more movies than just Not Another Teen Movie and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. People that said that are dumb. Unlike Batista, Evans had and has range. Batista knows how to play one thing, big guys who grunt and hit things. And while that is one way to describe Drax, there's a lot more to the character than that. If Batista comes out and starts waxing poetic and delivering amazing dialogue, I already said I would admit I was wrong. I want him to succeed, believe it or not but as of right now, I'm not thrilled. I'm allowed to have my opinion. I'm allowed to feel this way. You can continue to pop champagne over this casting, I will continue to be hesitant.

They should cast The Rock as Thanos, let the WWE handle the Drax vs Thanos marketing next year for them. lol

I still can't believe that guy hasn't been cast in a Superhero film yet. He's the closest thing we have to our 80's, 90's action heroes.

I still can't believe that guy hasn't been cast in a Superhero film yet. He's the closest thing we have to our 80's, 90's action heroes.

He'd be too expensive at this point for anything other than a starring role and maybe even then on the Marvel side.

I never thought that because fortunately I had seen Chris Evans in more movies than just Not Another Teen Movie and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. People that said that are dumb. Unlike Batista, Evans had and has range. Batista knows how to play one thing, big guys who grunt and hit things. And while that is one way to describe Drax, there's a lot more to the character than that.
That's all we've seen him play thus far because that's all he's been asked to play. The fact that Drax had a very lengthy casting process tells me they were looking for something specific.

If Batista comes out and starts waxing poetic and delivering amazing dialogue, I already said I would admit I was wrong.
Even the most interesting version of Drax from the comics didn't do anything like that, but I'm pretty sure you were exaggerating.

I want him to succeed, believe it or not but as of right now, I'm not thrilled. I'm allowed to have my opinion. I'm allowed to feel this way. You can continue to pop champagne over this casting, I will continue to be hesitant.
Pop champagne? I'm one of the many people who was against him getting the role. And I'm still very hesitant about the casting. I'm not defending that at all.

What I'm defending is the character himself. You're way too quick to assume that we're going to get a dumb brute just because Batista was cast. There's no reason to assume and accept that just because you can't see Batista doing anything more than that.

That's all we've seen him play thus far because that's all he's been asked to play. The fact that Drax had a very lengthy casting process tells me they were looking for something specific.

Even the most interesting version of Drax from the comics didn't do anything like that, but I'm pretty sure you were exaggerating.

Pop champagne? I'm one of the many people who was against him getting the role. And I'm still very hesitant about the casting. I'm not defending that at all.

What I'm defending is the character himself. You're way too quick to assume that we're going to get a dumb brute just because Batista was cast. There's no reason to assume and accept that just because you can't see Batista doing anything more than that.

I hope you're right.

all I could picture there is me being a little kid reciting "The Millions... AND MILLIONS, of The Rocks fan." back to the TV haha. Even though he's back on wrestling I can't pull myself to watch it.. too silly now (or I've just grown up and it's always been that silly)

Chris Pratt's gonna handle most of the charisma, along with the eccentric humor whoever they cast as the voice of Rocket. Anyone seen Pratt in "The 5 Year Engagement" that guy is entertaining as hell.

When I saw the concept art of Drax, immediately the word "intense" came to mind. I think Batista can bring that.

:up:

Why would the WWE be advertising this movie? Batista hasn't wrestled for them in years.

Drax is a human resurrected as a green warrior with the sole purpose of killing Thanos (the villain in the final-scene tease of Avengers). His powers include flight, super-strength and energy blasts.

The movie’s lineup will also include Groot, a giant tree-man; Star-Lord, a gun-toting half-human/half-alien intergalactic vigilante; Rocket Raccoon, a genetically engineered animal with a knack for guns and explosives; and Gamora, the last survivor of her species who was saved by Thanos to be his assassin but now battles him.

That's maybe the worst description of the characters I've read yet. He's a human resurrected as a green warrior? Groot is a giant tree-man? That's the best they could do? Is Iron Man a guy in some metal? I hope no one who was on the fence about seeing the movie reads that.

As for Batista, the fact that they chose a non-actor for the role probably tells us what we're in for. Maybe he really is just a guy who stands around and is green.

granted I don't have the traps that Batista has, (or the arms... or the abs.) but they can paint me green and i'll stand around for half of what he's asking if that's the case!

granted I don't have the traps that Batista has, (or the arms... or the abs.) but they can paint me green and i'll stand around for half of what he's asking if that's the case!

ssshhhh dont give Marvel any ideas.

Just heard about this casting. "Yikes" was my actual verbal reaction, lol. Oh well, I know nothing about this character, so I can only give them the benefit of the doubt that they're aware of Bautista's limitations and think his skill-set will be fine for what they need him to do.

I remember not too long ago everyone was guaranteeing that marvel would never choose this guy for drax. :p I didnt think theyd pick him either. But hey, this aint shakespeare. ;) lol

GyYxWHI.jpg

I'm sure he will do fine. He certainly has a good look and a huge build.

At least Drax won't be a hard character for him to play in regard to lack of acting ability.

That's maybe the worst description of the characters I've read yet. He's a human resurrected as a green warrior? Groot is a giant tree-man? That's the best they could do? Is Iron Man a guy in some metal? I hope no one who was on the fence about seeing the movie reads that.

As for Batista, the fact that they chose a non-actor for the role probably tells us what we're in for. Maybe he really is just a guy who stands around and is green.

The description given was literal; it was probably written by someone unfamiliar with the team, which would encompass 99.9999% of humanity at this point. A reporter for a trade can't be expected to know all that much about obscure Marvel Comics properties. How would you pretty up a description of Groot? He's an ambulatory tree whose only line of dialog is "I am Groot!" If there's more to him, most people won't know or care until they see the movie.

You know guys, seeing that Star Lord and now Drax has been cast, I feel this is probably like one of Marvel's most unexpected casts that we know so far. I'm very optimistic about how it's going to turn out. I'm actually interested. We just got to have an open mind to think of Marvel's way of casting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"