Official JLA discussion thread - Part 3

I thought it was fine, and I never understood why people were so against it. Was it just because it took her away from being an awesome cop like she was in Gotham Central? And she replaced Vic, who was awesome.

Well, nobody did anything with Vic in a long time, and then the Justice League Unlimited cartoon made him look awesome again, so it was kind of weird to follow that up by killing him off in the comics. Plus, yeah, Montoya was very clearly removed from the superhero thing in Gotham Central. She's not meant for the world of bright colors and spandex. She was a grittier, more human, noirish character. It felt like a lot of that was lost by turning her into a world-class martial artist with no face.

I thought Rucka's stories with her kept that noir feel though. The whole Book of Blood thing was pretty cool.

Kate Spencer (Manhunter) was the first thing in a very long time to get me to pick up a DC comic again. Marc Andreyko's series was great and so was the character. In fact, one of the reasons I think I remain so "meh" about the New 52 is her continued absence in the universe. It's just a little less interesting of a place without her in it from my perspective.

Besides, it's not like Paul Kirk or Matt Shaw were incredibly popular characters with long-running series that had to be pushed aside and canceled because of Kate. The Manhunter name was virtually collecting dust when Andreyko came along and created her.

It's for the best. She'd probably be an ex prostitute or something in the Nu52. :o

Unfortunately, you're probably right. My hope, though, would be that Andreyko would be behind the character's reintroduction, and I can't imagine him being cool with that type of alteration to her character.

I remember quite a few fans enjoying female question.

I thought she was great, actually. I didn't get to read much with the Question, only 52 (which I didn't finish, but I did get to the point where Vic died), but Renee made a great hero. I loved her in Final Crisis, primarily the Revelations mini, and I liked the majority of the Detective Comics back ups.

I'm actually very disappointed that she's not shown up in the New 52. I'm guessing the main reason is due to this whole thing with Question belonging to the Trinity of Sin. I'm hoping that once that's dealt with, she'll make a return in the pages of Batwoman.

I'd love to see her back in a series. But just as Renee Montoya, crack GCPD detective or maybe private detective. She's a strong enough character in her own right without wonkying up the Question.

tumblr_mkt5bq_WYGL1qctjhzo1_1280.jpg

Is that a Trinity war teaser?

No, it's the My Little Pony crossover teaser. :o ;)

Yes!!! So, Trinity War I guess is going to end up at a basic level being JL vs JLA vs JLD?? I wasn't expecting the JLD to have anything to do with this but it really seems they are really trying to connect everything in a big way. I like the look of this

Man that teaser is epic! I too didn't expect JLD to be in this. I thought it would be a three-way war with the secret society, but this is much better. And of course you have the Trinity of Sin involved as well.

Epic!

I'm mostly surprised that this isn't going to be some mega, DC-wide event. It's not even going to have its own mini. Just a two month crossover between the three books. I love it, as opposed to the yearly, wallet-destroying events that Marvel puts out.

Last edited:
Well I believe DC said they were gonna try and get away from that and it certainly looks that way what with Throne of Atlantis, War of The Green Lanterns and The First Lantern all being events that happened within one or two books and all within a two month span. It's nice to read Batman and Superman and not have an obligatory non sensical tie-in.

Well, nobody did anything with Vic in a long time, and then the Justice League Unlimited cartoon made him look awesome again, so it was kind of weird to follow that up by killing him off in the comics. Plus, yeah, Montoya was very clearly removed from the superhero thing in Gotham Central. She's not meant for the world of bright colors and spandex. She was a grittier, more human, noirish character. It felt like a lot of that was lost by turning her into a world-class martial artist with no face.

I think Renee works best in noir type stories as well but they could have done that with her as the Question by having her be a street level hero i think :)

I really liked Renee as the Question myself i think that DC should have kept her in the role instead of doing this weird mythological/magical trinity thing with a new version of the Qurstion, Phantom Stranger and Pandora...

Jewish Hobbit said:
I'm actually very disappointed that she's not shown up in the New 52. I'm guessing the main reason is due to this whole thing with Question belonging to the Trinity of Sin. I'm hoping that once that's dealt with, she'll make a return in the pages of Batwoman.

I'm really hoping DC bring her back as well. She was an amazing lesbian character and there is a serious need for more characters like her in the DCU...i really want to see her return either in Batwoman or elsewhere in the DC universe in a major role

The thing is, after seeing the damage even a slowed down zombie Flash could do in the Rotworld event a few months back, I can't take this kind of superhero infighting seriously.

The Green Lantern looks kind of lost in this pic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"