The Official WONDER WOMAN Discussion Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to hear azzarello talk about this.

On one hand I can understand why people would be upset that DC is removing what made the amazons unique and making them more like the original myth, but on the other hand, I find myself not caring at all because the story is so much better than any other wonder woman story I've ever read.

I can accept the amazons hating men even if its kind of stereotypical

But having them murder men and sell their sons into slavery seems too horrible and grim to me and upsets me as a fan of the Amazons. And i wonder why if they are like this is Wonder Woman the same kind and loving person she was before these retcons

Pre Flashpoint I could see how wonderful mothers like Hippolyta and Phillipus raised a brave and compassionate woman like Diana

Post Flashpoint I'm amazed Wonder Woman isnt as violent and crazy as the one from the failed tv show pilot

box sex followed by being pushed into the open sea just isnt the same with getting it on with a god somewhere comfy.

The Amazons shouldn't be wasting their time with guys at all

They're supposed to be an amazing island of peaceful loving immortal kinky lesbians who ride kangaroos. That was why I loved them

I do not dig them as an island of boring violent women who hook up with sailors :(

Greg Rucka really needs to come back to DC and write Wonder Woman again

And they took away WWs power of flight....
xppl6r.gif
3465d9t.gif

Brooklyn Rage :cmad:

maybe they're planning on keeping the jet in some form since she's without flight

You shouldve started with Perez reboot. Gods were still the gods and looking very greek and acting like themselves. But I still cant get behind them picking and choosing what gods have human appearances and which are more monsterous.

I'd like to hear azzarello talk about this.

On one hand I can understand why people would be upset that DC is removing what made the amazons unique and making them more like the original myth, but on the other hand, I find myself not caring at all because the story is so much better than any other wonder woman story I've ever read.

I'm more disturbed at the pattern than any particular piece.

It's painting a certain level of contempt at the central conceit of what a Wonder Woman is supposed to represent. It's not like making Krypton into an isolated bunch of creeps changed the central premise that Superman believes in Earth and it's future.

Azaarello expressly came in saying in wanted to create a more guy friendly space with WW which is fine but why does it involve making the only women we see so vile.

Hera, Strife, Amazons.

Zola's just there.(though I fear she's going to be revealed to be the traitor. No matter how inadvertently)

We still haven't seen any of the female Gods offer assistance. Nor has WW gone to them for help.

Azzarello pays a lot of lip service to WW's buzzwords like love. Apparently Zola is the person WW loves and is going to go through all this to save. Okay. What about that entire island you call family? Where's the love?

I don't think azzarello was overly concerned with the feminist theory of wonder woman as much as he was concerned creating a more brutal greek mythology aspect. Wonder Woman still seems to be the same character but is realizing the world around her is much more cutthroat than she thought.

I don't think azzarello was overly concerned with the feminist theory of wonder woman as much as he was concerned creating a more brutal greek mythology aspect. Wonder Woman still seems to be the same character but is realizing the world around her is much more cutthroat than she thought.

If you're not writing about the character then what's the point?

It's possible to write a WW comic that's about a chick fighting evil.

Azzarello's a good enough writer to know how to dodge the trickier aspects of the character's story.

I don't think it's anything malicious. It's just feels like what happened with Denny O'Neil realizing in the aftermath what he actually was communicating with the Mod-Diana when he was just trying to imitate the Emma Peele zeitgeist of the era.

TheComicbookKid said:
Azaarello expressly came in saying in wanted to create a more guy friendly space with WW which is fine but why does it involve making the only women we see so vile.

That explains why I haven't been at all interested in this

I'm hoping that most of the damage Azzarello has done is retconned away quickly. Fortunately whenever a new writer starts writing Wonder Woman its a rule that they must erase everything that came before to create a BOLD NEW DIRECTION so Azzarello's run will probably be retconned when a new writer comes on to the book

Azzarello pays a lot of lip service to WW's buzzwords like love. Apparently Zola is the person WW loves and is going to go through all this to save. Okay. What about that entire island you call family? Where's the love?

If that means Wonder Woman and Zola are going to hook up at some point I may actually have a reason to keep reading as then finally Wonder Woman woukd have a love interest i actually cared about which would be fab :up:

Unless that happens i think I'm done buying this book

I mean if others are enjoying it that's fair enough its not the worst comic book and different people like different things. And the art is really good :up: but its not my cup of tea. I hate whats been done to the Amazons and this just isn't very interesting to me :(

Last edited:
maybe they're planning on keeping the jet in some form since she's without flight

Yeah, looks like this month's issue of WW and JL confirm that she doesn't have flight powers. I used to hate non-flying WW, but its grown on me (especially after watching the DCAU movie).

Am I the only one who likes Azzarello's WW?

Last edited:
I hate non-flying Wonder Woman.

And I hate the Invisible Jet. Too Superfriends.

Yeah, looks like this month's issue of WW and JL confirm that she doesn't have flight powers. I used to hate non-flying WW, but its grown on me (especially after watching the DCAU movie).

Am I the only one who likes Azzarello's WW?

I love it. But I also liked Odyssey and I've only read Perez's run for classic Wondy.

I love it. But I also liked Odyssey and I've only read Perez's run for classic Wondy.
I've honestly enjoyed most of Wonder Woman's recent status quos.

The damn problem is it keeps on changing every 2 years. :o

I loved the latest issue as well, it's interesting but this is really her Odyssey story when you think about it. Wonder Woman's learning so much about her own past and her people, it's tormenting her from the inside, with all her responsibilities and her care for the world leads to her death, so what happens when she and the Amazons are reborn? Time will tell. :hrt:

I've been loving this comic series a lot, and i hope they don't change the character's origin and status quo this time, i know this may seem crazy, but i would like to one day see Geoff Johns writing Wonder Woman, seeing how he expanded the GL mythos and basically turned it into a franchise by exploring even more the cosmic side of DC, and how he's doing the same thing for Aquaman and his underwater universe, i would like to see the WW mythos also get a big expansion, i mean, it's basically the greek mythology, much can be done.

Yeah wonder woman has been rebooted so many times for better or worse they really just need to stick with this one until the next line-wide reboot.

Nah. This is Amazon Attack level devastation to the mythos.

Better to pull a Rucka-Heinberg and just cut it off. Save the body and lose the limb.

I've been loving this comic series a lot, and i hope they don't change the character's origin and status quo this time, i know this may seem crazy, but i would like to one day see Geoff Johns writing Wonder Woman, seeing how he expanded the GL mythos and basically turned it into a franchise by exploring even more the cosmic side of DC, and how he's doing the same thing for Aquaman and his underwater universe, i would like to see the WW mythos also get a big expansion, i mean, it's basically the greek mythology, much can be done.
I seem to remember hearing that Geoff Johns said he would never write Wonder Woman because he didn't feel like he had a good grasp of her character. So I don't see that happening any time soon.

Nah. This is Amazon Attack level devastation to the mythos.

Better to pull a Rucka-Heinberg and just cut it off. Save the body and lose the limb.

Unfortunately for you I don't think they really care, especially since its getting great reviews.

I see what azzarello was trying to do, establish wonder woman as the hero that protects people from the gods, it gives her character a "cooler" purpose. By making her zeus's daughter it also creates a bigger problem because the gods are her family.

When I saw what happened in this issue all I could think of how many people this would piss off. I'm interested to see where he takes it now that he's managed to turn the amazons into monsters, lol.

Sigh....I guess Wonder Woman's as dead as Spider-Man. :(

First look at Wonder Woman in this Saturday's new Young Justice.

http://tvline.com/2012/03/22/nikita-maggie-q-wonder-woman-young-justice-video/

I really love this show....this looks really cool..great character portrayals...especially Since Captain Marvel looks, acts, and is named as he should be. Thank God for this....in light of what's going on now, I hope this show never ends.
As far as Wonder Woman's sexuality, I never really gave it a lot of thought since she has always been clearly portrayed as heterosexual. Just because Simone and Rucka hinted at it because of their feelings towards the issue does not necessarily make it so; ....but Greek Mythology is riddled with all kinds of sexual whatever. So Steve is being portrayed as a *****e.....and Lois is whatever.....I would not mind at all seeing a Superman and Wonder Woman relationship explored or even Batman.

Unfortunately for you I don't think they really care, especially since its getting great reviews.

I see what azzarello was trying to do, establish wonder woman as the hero that protects people from the gods, it gives her character a "cooler" purpose. By making her zeus's daughter it also creates a bigger problem because the gods are her family.

When I saw what happened in this issue all I could think of how many people this would piss off. I'm interested to see where he takes it now that he's managed to turn the amazons into monsters, lol.

"That's what they said about George Washington Carver and the peanut. But you're still eating Skippy."

I'm not worried. If DC actually knew how to create something sustainable with WW, they would have already. They'll fall back into the same pattern. Just like what happened with Marvel and it's Ultimates line.

Look what happened with those two issues Atkins took over on. Without that pretty art from Chiang, I saw more people notice how silly what was going on actually was.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"