Official PlayStation Vita Thread

is there a comparability list? Because I'm in the same boat.

Thanks.

Persona and Dagonrampa may be worth it.

No problem. Im still on the fence. I have a free $20 promo code that expires next month so contemplating if I should use it on this or something else. Ive heard so many good things about Persona so Id check that out as well

Hmmmm.....Ill be on the look out for some Vita game sales this weekend, hopefully digitally. The whole memory card thing is another thing I didnt want to have to deal with but hopefully those get decent sales. If I were to get one, I think Id just hook it up to my PC monitor and play via that

Sony is out of ideas to making quality game vita, like sexy adult shinovi versus, drive bhikkunni, and doa xtrme 3

Nds/3ds > mobile games > vita ...sony just focus in ps4

All of those are third party games, but you're right, Sony has basically abandoned the Vita as far as 1st party games go. It's been this way for awhile, though.

I still love the Vita. It's a fantastic device that just wasn't marketed for ****.

Eh, marketing was an issue I guess, but I would say the price and idea behind the device killed it more than that did.

Price was bad yeah.. But they should have honestly called it PSP2. Calling it something else probably didn't help. Then the price almost instantly killed it..

Too bad it wasn't steamrolled by PS4 enthusiasm.

Price instantly killed it? I think people are forgetting that when this thing was announced back in 2011 with a $250 price tag at E3, Sony got tons of cheers. The thing had many things going for it and price of the unit was one of the things it got praised bc many were guessing $300-350. Price definitely wasnt its issue. Now price of the proprietary memory cards is a different story

there goes that moment. And I highly doubt the name had anything to do with its lack of success. People know what a Vita is. Being called PSP2, wouldnt have made it a success. I think they stayed away from the numeral convention bc they had already been using that with the PSP. PSP-1000, 2000, 3000, etc...and then they also had the PSP Go model which was different yet still the same. They went with a new name so that there was no confusion that this was a brand new product and not a new iteration of the PSP. PSP2 would have possibly confused people

Last edited:
You have to think, though, that at the time the 3DS was still, I believe, $250. After the huge cut to $170 it instantly made the Vita look like the over priced competitor. It is probably over exaggeration to say the price "instantly" killed it, but I think it was definitely an issue.

The biggest thing, I think though, is that the Vita was made with a console market mindset. They basically pushed the power and abilities of the device as its selling point, and that's just not what the handheld market is about, it never had been. Basically, Sony made the same mistake that Sega did years ago with the Game Gear. They misread the market and crafted an item that wasn't matched to it. The rise of mobile is another issue as well, that cut into the handheld market big time.

Price is what's keeping me from getting one. $200 for a base model? No thanks.

IMO, these are among the issues for the Vita's lack of success

1. Sony IPs MIA. We got Uncharted, Resistance, LBP and Killzone but Sony has so many IPs in their arsenal that have been MIA. Where was Infamous? God of War? Where are the PSP original series like Patapon and LocoRocco? The PSP became a platform where those got a new life. Syphon Filter, Ratchet, Jak, Gran Turismo, GoW, all got handheld entries which were incentive for fans of the PS1/PS2 to get them. I think a problem here has been the PS4 bc not only does Sony have their first party studios making just PS4 games, their second party ones are as well. Ready at Dawn was synonymous with PSP development, but they skipped out on the Vita to make The Order. Everyone is either making PS4 or VR titles, hence why 1st and 2nd party support has dried up with just a few releases here and there

2. Lack of 3rd party support
. On a related note, 3rd parties arent really supporting it either. To go back to the PSP, 3rd parties were making original entries for their biggest IPs for the handheld. We got GTA, MGS, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts. The only real push on the Vita was AC: Liberation that first year. Any 3rd party games the Vita got have mainly either been gimped multiplatform or late ports. The big publishers just havent bothered to make original games just for the system.

3. CoD: Declassified and Resistance: Burning Skies. A big deal was made when the Vita was announced that bc of the twin sticks, we'd finally be able to get a true FPS experience on a handheld and these two titles were what was intended to make people believers. Unfortunately both were made by the same developer within a few months of each other and sucked. Sony should have done better quality control here as they paid for these and especially heavily promoted CoD. It would have been better to not even release them and wait till Killzone came a year and a half later but by this point, the damage was done

4. Letting it be defined as the "Indie handheld". There is nothing wrong with indies, but it seems like that is all the Vita now has to offer as Sony has failed to provide a good balance of the type of games being released. We know Sony isnt making games for it and support for the 3rd party publishers isnt really there. By and large its games come from indies. The issue is, most of these games are either mobile ports, or stuff you can already get on Steam and/or PS3 or PS4. If you just have a Vita, fine, but most people have either at least a smartphone and PC so these games can be found elsewhere cheaper. The lack of original and exclusive games for the system is a problem

5. Overpriced memory cards. I dont think the initial price tag of $250 was bad but using proprietary memory cards was. They could have gone with a standard SD but they reason they made their own ws to prevent piracy and to their credit, its worked. Unfortunately this has led to expensive prices to cover the R&D costs of these cards which can only be used in a Vita/PSTV as they have no other application

6. PS TV. It sounded like a good idea in theory but they should have just revised the Vita to have an HDMI out port for play on a larger display and promoted that feature. Splitting the Vita into two product lines, sent a confusing message

7. Failing to push it on BF. Ive followed this every year since launch and Sony never pushes it on BF which is the largest spending day of the year. Its the perfect time to discount it and/or have amazing bundles but outside of a very limited sale on the White AC bundle in 2012 on Amazon, barely anything.

8. "Ignoring" it at major events. Why buy a system when it appears that Sony isnt even invested in it? How many major conferences went by with no mention of the system? It was lucky if it got a quick shot in a sizzle reel. The thing is many times the show floor had plenty of Vita games but that means nothing to the general public that cant play them. If they did get previewed, it got buried under coverage of the actual major titles showcased in the conferences.

9. Price. The Vita has only had one price drop back in early 2013. Its crazy how this thing hasnt been selling, yet Sony has been insistent on keeping that $199 price tag 2 and a half years later. Its actually more expensive now bc at least then it came with a brand new game (Borderlands 2) and 4GB memory card. Now, its unbundled yet still $199.

10. Rear touchpad. It is and always has been a gimmick, one that didnt really add to the system. They tried to shoehorn it into games in the first yea r but I hear its barely used now. Removing it likely wont have made the system cheaper but they could have used those costs to make the system more functional by adding on storage memory, like 4GB. That would have been good for downloading one retail game or a few indies. And since this has been used as a companion to the PS4, it really should have had 4 shoulder buttons. The rearpad was never an adequate replacement for that

Well.. I just got another one for free. Haha. My friend gave me his for one of my external HDDs.

My girlfriend and I bought one last night. I actually really like it, but man is this memory card thing a bummer. They're so damned expensive. I have a bunch of PSOne games I bought way back when I had my PSP I wanna download but there's no space. Still, that remote play feature is pretty amazing.

IMO, these are among the issues for the Vita's lack of success

1. Sony IPs MIA. We got Uncharted, Resistance, LBP and Killzone but Sony has so many IPs in their arsenal that have been MIA. Where was Infamous? God of War? Where are the PSP original series like Patapon and LocoRocco? The PSP became a platform where those got a new life. Syphon Filter, Ratchet, Jak, Gran Turismo, GoW, all got handheld entries which were incentive for fans of the PS1/PS2 to get them. I think a problem here has been the PS4 bc not only does Sony have their first party studios making just PS4 games, their second party ones are as well. Ready at Dawn was synonymous with PSP development, but they skipped out on the Vita to make The Order. Everyone is either making PS4 or VR titles, hence why 1st and 2nd party support has dried up with just a few releases here and there

2. Lack of 3rd party support
. On a related note, 3rd parties arent really supporting it either. To go back to the PSP, 3rd parties were making original entries for their biggest IPs for the handheld. We got GTA, MGS, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts. The only real push on the Vita was AC: Liberation that first year. Any 3rd party games the Vita got have mainly either been gimped multiplatform or late ports. The big publishers just havent bothered to make original games just for the system.

While both good points, I think a lot of this goes back to the actual sells. If the PSP had been the flop that the Vita was, it wouldn't have gotten all that support either.

Found an 8gb Memory card for $18 at a used game store near me. Still not a great price, but it gets me going. Only game I have for it is Persona 4 Golden, but the main reason we purchased it was for the remote play.

PS Vita
PlayStation TV ends production in Japan

Published 4 hours ago. 41 comments.

Official Japanese PlayStation website updated with notice.
PS-Vita-TV-Ends-Production-Japan.jpg

PlayStation TV—or PlayStation Vita TV as it’s called in its homeland—is no longer shipping in Japan, its product page on the official Japanese PlayStation website reveals.

PlayStation TV was first announced in September 2013 and launched on November 24 that year. It came to North America and Europe a year later.
Thanks, Games Talk.

Read More

PS Vita, PlayStation TV, SCE, SCEJ

source: Gematsu

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back