The Amazing Spider-Man OFFICIAL Rate & Review the Amazing Spider-Man! - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it was like that someone said he had seen the script somehow and hated it. Some were worried, not me though

having seen the film, I do wonder what Logan Lurhman(sp) would have done with the same role.

Having watched the Percy Jackson flick I can honestly say that I hate Logan Lerman as an actor. He would've been a horrible Peter Parker

And not just acting-wise, but he has a baby face and too girly eyes

He was amazing in Jack & Bobby which is one of those shows that I wonder why in the hell it was cancelled after one season, much like John Doe.

You know who I wish could direct a Spider-Man film, Matthew Vaughn! He nailed the nerdy modern outcast in Kick-Ass perfectly!

I'm wondering about that deleted lab scene... if Lizard killed Dr. Ratha, what did he do with Spider-Man afterwards? Did he just leave the sewers (where he later encountered the SWAT team) or did he attack Spider-Man first? I'm confused.

I would have assumed that the Lizard would try to at least attack Peter, but okay... fair enough.

He didn't kill Spidey at the school either when it was assumed Lizard probably would've killed him, so I don't think killing Spidey was part of the agenda, or at least right now.

He didn't kill Spidey at the school either when it was assumed Lizard probably would've killed him, so I don't think killing Spidey was part of the agenda, or at least right now.
True. The Lizard probably wanted to leave asap to put his plan in motion (turning everyone into Lizards). So the next scene would have been Peter talking to Gwen at school over the phone, and eventually lead up to Lizard being shot by that SWAT team.

I can honestly compare this film to Batman Begins.

Up to a certain point, IMO, both films hold steady and really develop well. But then both kind of go off a little and feel rushed.

With BB, it was up to Bruce's Birthday bash that the film started to feel rushed. With spidey, it's the high school lizard fight when it starts to feel rushed.

But I get that, as I both films where dealing with the origins of both characters, how they deal with their responsibilities and making that their priority, which kind of makes the villain story a little weak. Kind of the same with Star Trek 09.

Which I'm fine with. I just watched it again (my local cinema showed it again... yay) and I can see that alot clearer now. And I still love it and so far it keeps its 9/10 rating, for now :p.

I do think that that scene in the lizard Lair should have been kept, no doubt. And they could have worked Bens death better (though it was still good IMO).

And here's hoping that TASM2 (and ST2 lol) goes the way of TDK... a great sequel :-D

And here's hoping that TASM2 (and ST2 lol) goes the way of TDK... a great sequel :-D

Here's how I see the similarities will be in TASM2:

Green Goblin is the new villain (The Joker TDK)
Gwen dies (Rachel TDK)
Darker sequel (TDK)

:woot:

Here's how I see the similarities will be in TASM2:

Green Goblin is the new villain (The Joker TDK)
Gwen dies (Rachel TDK)
Darker sequel (TDK)

:woot:
Now that I think about it, I am a little worried that clueless people will think that TASM2/3 copied TDK because the love interest was killed. Even though Gwen's death happened in the comics and Rachel Dawes didn't exist in the comics, you know some people will be saying it.

Now that I think about it, I am a little worried that clueless people will think that TASM2/3 copied TDK because the love interest was killed. Even though Gwen's death happened in the comics and Rachel Dawes didn't exist in the comics, you know some people will be saying it.

Honestly, I don;t care. You just come back with that to them. That that happened in the comics.

But IMO, it has to happen in the sequel. The third film has to show his pain and how he deals with that horrific incident, wondering if it was gobby or him that killed her.

Exactly, and if people think that this new Spider-Man copies what happened in The Dark Knight and probably Rises but who cares? Gwen came first and is actually more important than Rachel .. :D

I don't care really, The Amazing Spider-Man sequel will be a success no matter what people say :D

The way they dealt with Rachel, I don't think one could say Gwen is more important because Rachel's death was part of the reason why Bruce retired from being Batman for eight years, lol.

And...from what we've been hearing, I highly doubt we'll be seeing Green Goblin killing Gwen Stacy in the sequel ala TDK, with Electro might being the villain and all.

The way they dealt with Rachel, I don't think one could say Gwen is more important because Rachel's death was part of the reason why Bruce retired from being Batman for eight years, lol.

And...from what we've been hearing, I highly doubt we'll be seeing Green Goblin killing Gwen Stacy in the sequel ala TDK, with Electro might being the villain and all.

IMO, Electro should NOT kill Gwen... come on the guy might be the villain but he doesn't have right to kill Gwen lol

Yeah. My hope is that she's killed early in the third film. Develop even further connection with the audience and Peter himself in TASM2. And then in TASM3...

Exactly, and if people think that this new Spider-Man copies what happened in The Dark Knight and probably Rises but who cares? Gwen came first and is actually more important than Rachel .. :D

I don't care really, The Amazing Spider-Man sequel will be a success no matter what people say :D

If TASM 2 has Green Goblin as a villain who killed Gwen Stacy then people would be justified in making comparisons between TDK and TASM 2 as GG = Joker and Gwen Stacy = Rachel.

And then in TASM 3, we get Black Cat. :oldrazz:

I don't know how I feel about Gwen Dying early in the third movie. I think there wouldn't be as much tension when she dies than say in the middle of the third film.

IMO, Electro should NOT kill Gwen... come on the guy might be the villain but he doesn't have right to kill Gwen lol

I didn't say anything about Electro killing Gwen, lol.

Yeah. My hope is that she's killed early in the third film. Develop even further connection with the audience and Peter himself in TASM2. And then in TASM3...

Not really early, imo, but I think the death could at least be halfway into the third film and still work.

If TASM 2 has Green Goblin as a villain who killed Gwen Stacy then people would be justified in making comparisons between TDK and TASM 2 as GG = Joker and Gwen Stacy = Rachel.

And then in TASM 3, we get Black Cat. :oldrazz:

Yah, the film comparisons with the sequels having the hero's greatest enemy killing the love interests are understandable. It's only when someone doesn't know about Gwen Stacy dying in the comics is when it becomes unacceptable, lol.

Poll is closed :( Anyway, just saw this film, wow that was amazing. I liked everything of it.

The only stuff is that I wanted to see more of Gwen relationship, more of Dr. Connor stuff and some stuff that was cut out which I liked. Oh, and definitely more about his parents, not that it needed it but I love stuff like that.

10/10

I watched the film just now (on Youtube...heh) and I have changed my mind about many things and actually feel a bit torn here.

Where should I begin...while I'm fully aware of the fact that watching it on Youtube sure makes everything feel less epic and great and all that. But I realised things I never did at my first viewing, both for the good and bad.

Unfortunately, I felt this film wasn't really as great as when I first saw it. My cinema enjoyment when watching it was a 10/10, I was thrilled. Now...things felt less impressive and I noticed some problems.

Now I know alot of people will disagree with me, but I think the second half of the film is much better than the first for some reason. It annoyed me a bit that in the majority of Peter's scenes he's struggeling to hold his tears back. Sometimes it's definitely justified but other times he felt a bit too much. Also, the pacing in the first half is pretty bad. Everything just happens too fast. While I think Webb handled the more progressive origin of Spider-Man throughout the film better than Raimi (where it felt like Peter just suddenly became Spidey), I must say that the build up and actual direct origin of Peter becoming Spider-Man was better in Raimi's film. I think this has completely to do with the pacing problem but something made this film overall feel a little unnatural and messy.

The goomba/lizard alien thingy people jokingly compare the look of Lizard to...suddenly I saw it, especially at the final battle. He sure looked a little silly at times. This time I also realised even more what a weak villain Lizard was. If I'd rate the movie Spider-Man villains today, I'd rate them:
1) Doc Ock (not that I liked the good at heart version, but when evil he was really ****ing awesome, with clear motives and cooler action and look etc.)
2) Green Goblin (despite the silly look)
3) Harry Osborn
4) Lizard
5) Sandman
6) Venom

Something I realised now was that many of the deleted scenes really weren't as needed as I thought. The "All the power you feel" etc is actually still there as a dialogue in his head which actually works better than the deleted scene if you ask me. Same goes with him talking to himself in his head in the sewers. I liked better that Connors just escaped on his own instead of the "Help Me" scene. However, I still think the scene at Peter's door and the scene with Billy were VERY needed. But that's not where the problem ends. Even with those scenes added he'd be very underdeveloped. The problem rather lies in the story. Even though Lizard's origin ties together with Spidey's in a very neat way, I'd rather have them use another villain for the origin story. Someone who doesn't need to be sympathetic and deep as Connors needs to be (and unfortunately wasn't). I didn't feel for Connors at all here. I feel now that the editing out clips wasn't the real problem here. The film should have been longer, but also with better writing overall. I love the ideas they had for the film but it didn't turn out the way I'd have wanted a Spidey film to be like (even though, as I said, I still think it's a very good film).

Another thing I found myself surprising was how I now felt that more action was needed. I never thought I'd say that but that's also why I enjoyed the second half much more. Things started to feel more thrilling and exciting and the action overall was much, much better than I remembered it as, especially the police chase with Spidey and the final battle.

I didn't have any problem with the character of Ratha even though the Lair scene was out.

The romance didn't feel as fantastic as I remembered it, though I still think it's great and some of the better romances in a superhero film. Some stuff made my heart pop, but I actually think Tony and Pepper's relationship in the Iron Man films is a little better to be completely honest. Though I still think Emma is the best love interest actress ever so far.

Not only is Emma one of the shiniest stars in this film. Sally and Martin deserve this credit as well. I felt Sally as Aunt May is a little underrated here, I even think I liked her (and Emma) the most in this film. Andrew as an actor was really great but I have to admit that I started to get a little annoyed by the character at a few parts. As I said before, he got teary eyed just too many times. I never felt he was a jerk however.

The ending of the film is still perfect IMO (I still got teary eyed when Gwen cried at Peter's door and my heart grew to double the size when she smiled after Peter's "Those are the best kind" line) and the second half of the film is what really takes this film to a better level to me. This is also why I think that while this film is very enjoyable but also very flawed I have extremely high hopes for the sequel. The origin is out of the way and we can have more thrilling action, better villain(s) and an overall better story. This film felt a bit boring at some long parts and I think the sequel will improve and be more fun and exciting.

It's weird because my second viewing of this film made me think back to Raimi's Spidey films and appreciate them more in my mind. I think that what Raimi did right, Webb didn't reach that level and what Webb did right Raimi got wrong. It feels like some kind of 50/50 thing. To compare ASM with SM1, I feel SM1 had a much more clear and stable story with better pacing, with richer side characters and a much cooler villain, better cinematography with better colors and CBM feel, better action and a more natural flow to it. Webb however had much better main characters in Peter (especially the Spider-Man persona) and Gwen, a much better love story, better music, much less annoying fluff even though a few scenes were a little silly, and so on.

It's VERY hard to give this film a rating in number right now. As I said, I feel a bit torn on this. I'd rather show where it belongs now in my list of superhero films:

1) The Dark Knight
2) The Dark Knight Rises
3) Batman Begins
4) The Avengers (only seen it once though)
5) Spider-Man 2
6) Iron Man
7) ASM/SM1

Something like that. I'm very surprised at my 180 degree turn myself and feel a little let down by that. I think however that ASM2 has some great potential, maybe somewhere in the top 5.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"