Official UFC Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd personally rather see Silva/Kongo at 159 and Velasquez/Nelson at 160.

Last edited:
Currently tied up coaching next season of TUF Brazil against Nogueira

I don't care to see Bigfoot take on Cain again because their first fight was such a slaughter. I was against JDS vs. Cain so quickly as well, so I may be proven wrong, but Bigfoot hasn't looked that impressive from getting torn a new *******. He beat a Browne that tore a knee ligament early in the fight, and he beat Overeem with a nice comeback after doing nothing those first two rounds. He's not a bad fighter, but I think Cain kills him again. I wish Cormier and Cain weren't training partners. That's easily the matchup I want to see right now.

Yeah, the heavyweight division is pretty shallow. Too bad the UFC just didn't let Jones test his feet in the heavyweight division last year, when he wanted. Jones pretty much has the light heavyweight division locked up. Him and Velasquez would be an awesome fight.

It would be nice to know who Silva is fighting next. Dana keeps saying there's one more thing they're waiting on until they're ready to schedule him again. The only thing I can think of that's possible is if they're waiting to see if GSP wants the fight.

But Rockhold vs. Belfort should be a #1 contender fight. I don't see how the winner doesn't get a title shot, but with how Dana is these days, who knows what will happen. I just hope Silva defends the belt sometime soon or has another fight at 205.

Nelson hasn't beaten a big enough name to justify a title shot yet.

I think they are worried about Belfort's testosterone use and also how injury prone he is. He's had a lot of injury problems in the last two years. Big fight with Wanderlei Silva fell apart in Brazil due to his injury.

I feel like Nelson easily has enough hype to justify and sell a title fight.

I feel like Nelson easily has enough hype to justify and sell a title fight.
Nelson lost all his fights to the top five UFC heavyweights. Got dominated by Frank Mir and JDS. Bigfoot knocked out Travis Browne who was undefeated in the UFC and then Overeem who was next in line for a title shot. So he gets the priority now.

TheVileOne said:
Nelson lost all his fights to the top five UFC heavyweights. Got dominated by Frank Mir and JDS. Bigfoot knocked out Travis Browne who was undefeated in the UFC and then Overeem who was next in line for a title shot. So he gets the priority now.

Silva got destroyed by Velasquez, and knocking out someone that was beating him up for 2 rounds doesn't make anyone other than Dana White think he'll suddenly have a shot of beating Velasquez.

Nelson has a two fight win streak right now, hits like a truck, and is hard to take down, and no one cares to see Silva's face get turned to hamburger again. What would beating Silva again prove for Velasquez?

Oh man, fingers crossed:

From NY journalist Jim Genia

jim genia ‏@jim_genia

BREAKING: In 2 weeks the UFC will likely be able to hold events in NY. Judge in Zuffa vs. NYS case pushing parties to settle.

Hopefully we will finally see MMA and UFC in NY.

Last edited:
So disappointing that Silva got another crack at Velasquez. He's slow and can't defend against takedowns. Bigfoot is going to get slaughtered... again. Why bother?

Hopefully that embarrassing loss to Bigfoot ignited a fire underneath Overeem's belly again. He's been playing it too conservatively these last couple of fights.

Pettis vs Aldo should keep me busy for awhile though.

Well that's how it is when the division is so thin. Cain got a rematch vs. JDS so soon, and now Bigfoot gets a rematch so soon. There really isn't anyone clear cut that you can say deserves it without bringing up recent losses besides Cormier, and unfortunately we know why that won't happen. They really need more talent at heavyweight, but the class is so damn thin that we're going to be stuck like this for a while. It's too bad they put Werdum in TUF. He's the most intriguing fight for Cain right now, but he's tied up so it won't happen until a good while if he beats Nog.

Let's see Velasquez face different opposition, make it fresh. Not another rematch.

Well that's how it is when the division is so thin. Cain got a rematch vs. JDS so soon, and now Bigfoot gets a rematch so soon. There really isn't anyone clear cut that you can say deserves it without bringing up recent losses besides Cormier, and unfortunately we know why that won't happen. They really need more talent at heavyweight, but the class is so damn thin that we're going to be stuck like this for a while. It's too bad they put Werdum in TUF. He's the most intriguing fight for Cain right now, but he's tied up so it won't happen until a good while if he beats Nog.

Disagree.

Velasquez and Dos Santos are a notch above everyone else in the heavyweight division. After Cain disposed of Bigfoot so effortlessly and Junior obliterated Mir, there was no other option than to pair the two up again for a rematch. Nothing was too soon.

If JDS kills Overeem, he deserves a title shot once again.

I really want to see Nelson taking a swing at the champ. Still think, regardless of the argument, Velasquez vs. Nelson makes a lot more sense than Silva vs. Velasquez II; it doesn't draw as well as other potential fights.

Not really. Velasquez got right back up to the title level after he was knocked out in a minute by JDS. He won only 1 fight before he got a rematch. Silva won against guys who were higher up than Nelson.

Both men are currently riding two-fight win streaks, with Velasquez recently crushing Silva. Nelson is an Ultimate Fighter winner, and all of his UFC wins are by stoppage.

So do Bigfoot's wins. Nelson beat two guys coming off losses.

Bigfoot beat an undefeated fighter in MMA and the UFC and then he beat the former Strikeforce heavyweight champion who hadn't lost since 2007.

The only reason he's on a two-fight win streak is because Browne injured himself and Overeem had his hands on his knees the whole fight because of his arrogance. No offense to Bigfoot, but Overeem handed that fight to him.

Belfort destroyed Bisping, yet doesn’t get a rematch against Silva because he got caught with a kick to the face, but Bigfoot deserves a rematch against a guy who bloodied him only a year ago?

Really? Are you kidding me? They set these guys up with cupcakes that they’re going to run through with ease and then set up the trilogy. I’d rather see Bigfoot fight Kongo, and put Velasquez in with Big Country. At this point, I don’t think Kongo’s chin could handle Nelson.

Belfort just got a title shot he didn't deserve against Jon Jones and he was submitted in the fourth round. He could still earn a title shot at middleweight I think but he's got to beat someone like Rockhold.

You guys are really overrating Roy Nelson. He's lost all his fights against top level opponents in the UFC.

Yeah, people are crazy that want to see Nelson get a title shot. The dude got beat up by Werdum. Mir had his way with him. People think Cain wrecking Bigfoot was bad, Nelson would be worse.

I hope Rockhold beats Belfort. I really don't want to see Silva/Belfort 2.

At least Vitor wasn't coming in after a loss, he didn't get the fight based on a few words on Twitter.

Have you seen some of the shots Nelson has taken in his last 6 fights? A brutalizing by Werdum, knees from Mir, and uppercuts from Dos Santos.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back