Official UFC Thread - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conor couldn't handle a bigger, more durable opponent. Nate just kept coming. That was just like Nick vs. Gomi from back in the day. So beautiful to see Conor have to shoot because he couldn't stand with Nate no more.

Not a fan of Diaz, but good to see Conor get humbled. Conor isn't too good after the first. Diaz brothers stay with gas 'cuz they're always training for a marathon or something

So, McGreggor taps out and Holm doesn't.

Not a fan of Diaz, but good to see Conor get humbled. Conor isn't too good after the first. Diaz brothers stay with gas 'cuz they're always training for a marathon or something
Thing is, Nate gassed. He wasn't in fighting shape. Nick and Nate have great gas tanks, but what gets them fights like this is their chin. They are just too durable.

Christ. This Nate/Miesha night just cost me several hundreds, but I can't get mad at those finishes. Incredible, incredible fights. This is what sports entertainment is. :up:

The first time Conor got hurt in a fight and he folded incredibly fast. I was so happy. :atp:

I will say it was nice to see a woman's bantamweight title fight where there was genuine respect on both sides for once. Those two produced a better display of competitiveness and sportsmanship than what's been witnessed over the last few years in that division. Proof you don't need pre-match drama to produce a memorable fight.

Conor couldn't handle a bigger, more durable opponent. Nate just kept coming. That was just like Nick vs. Gomi from back in the day. So beautiful to see Conor have to shoot because he couldn't stand with Nate no more.

Looked like he had him but didn't follow through. He kept smiling and waving his shoulders like he won before it was over. It backfired. I think he under estimated Diaz big time. He wasn't even trying to cover up when he was getting pounded with blows, like he was trying to prove he could take a hit. It was stupid. I'm glad Diaz capitalized on all that. As much as I love watching Mcgregor fight, I'm glad he got shut up.

Looked like he had him but didn't follow through. He kept smiling and waving his shoulders like he won before it was over. It backfired. I think he under estimated Diaz big time. He wasn't even trying to cover up when he was getting pounded with blows, like he was trying to prove he could take a hit. It was stupid. I'm glad Diaz capitalized on all that. As much as I love watching Mcgregor fight, I'm glad he got shut up.
That wasn't quite the problem. Conor was doing that because he wasn't hurting Nate. He was trying to frustrate Nate into walking into one of those big shots he kept throwing and missing at the distance.

A lot of people think the Diaz Bros. softly, and they do. But it adds up and every once in a while, when they get someone on the end of their long reach, they hurt them. That is what happened with Conor. Conor was shocked he couldn't hurt Nate, which is stupid.

Alright, second opinion needed, I'm currently arguing with someone who says Holly tapped out. I thought she was weakly trying to strike when she got put to sleep. Any thoughts?

Alright, second opinion needed, I'm currently arguing with someone who says Holly tapped out. I thought she was weakly trying to strike when she got put to sleep. Any thoughts?
I think she might have been trying to tap right before she passed out, but she didn't actually tap.

Someone take Dana's belt and razors. McGregor was in control then dropped his hands and was trying to defend with head movement alone.

Probably Conor's worst performance to date in the UFC. He said it himself in the post-fight interview, he was very inefficient with his energy. Threw a lot of wild, sloppy punches that hit Nate's arms, very imprecise & quite uncharacteristic for him given that he arguably has a similar type of style to Nate before this fight anyway in that he very rarely ever tries to throw bombs & usually throws punches at about 70%-80% & focus more on where they land rather than how hard they hit.

Even with this in mind, Conor was gradually doing what I thought he'd do, he was much faster than Nate & was gradually busting him up. I didn't actually expect him to be so dominant over the control of the cage, kept kicking Nate's lead leg keeping him on the back foot & as a result it meant Conor was the one controlling the cage & walking Nate backwards keeping him on the outside.

Nate caught him with 1 clean punch right on the button & because of Conor's movement style, it's very apparent when a fighter like him has been stunned or hurt. Pride I think got him finished there, there is no shame in taking a backwards step & keeping your hands a little higher till you find your feet if you've been caught clean. Instead he kept his hands low & just tried to stand toe to toe. The takedown attempt was out of disorientation & desperation.

Happy for Nate, good payday for him & he'll get some nice publicity out of it the same as Holly did when she beat Ronda. I would almost guarantee there will be a rematch of this at some point down the line, Conor will be disappointed with getting caught like that when he was winning the striking exchanges & probably be upset with himself regarding how poorly he picked some of those wilder shots he threw. He should go back to FW to face Edgar at UFC 200 though before thinking of another LW or WW bout.

That wasn't quite the problem. Conor was doing that because he wasn't hurting Nate. He was trying to frustrate Nate into walking into one of those big shots he kept throwing and missing at the distance.

A lot of people think the Diaz Bros. softly, and they do. But it adds up and every once in a while, when they get someone on the end of their long reach, they hurt them. That is what happened with Conor. Conor was shocked he couldn't hurt Nate, which is stupid.

People really think he's soft? I mean, I've only been watching UFC heavily for the past year and a half. I've only seen Nate fight twice and I never got the impression he's soft. Fighting isn't rocket science. A well placed blow can knock anyone out but I'm sure, and especially professionals could tell who can and can't take a punch and even I was able to tell (from two fights) Nate could take a few punches.

Does it matter? She lost anyway.

Lol, not really, I just like the idea of a fighter putting their body on the line and not giving up.

Tate vs Holm was my favourite fight tonight surprisingly, very tactical battle in there from both of them. Thought Miesha's gameplan was the right idea, don't chase her relentlessly & change up your levels. She was unlucky not to catch some of those kicks in the 3rd & 4th.

I especially liked the fight because Miesha knew she more than likely was losing on the cards, which is debatable because that 2nd round should have been a 10-8 to Miesha IMO. 3rd & 4th I'd probably give to Holm & the 1st is a coin flip. Anyway knowing this her attempts on a takedown became more aggressive & eventually she was rewarded. In hindsight all Holly had to do was just try to turn towards her, her panic & desperation to try and get to her feet was what gave Miesha the choke.

The division is kind of a mess currently, Rousey should fight Holm & then Miesha should fight the winner. Rousey should not get the first title defense with Miesha without having to go through Holm.

Oh and another thing, was Mike Goldberg told to talk about Ronda Rousey through the whole fight? I was trying to enjoy it and all I heard was "What is Ronda Rousey thinking right now?" Mid way through the 3rd round.. Rousey this, Rousey that.. I mean I like her and all but come on dude the 2 women in the cage were having, well IMO, an interesting fight & he's talking about Ronda Rousey non-stop.

I think she was out when she tried to flip Miesha over hense why she didn't complete the flip she just kinda fell. Her arm movements I think were just unconscious spasms.

Holm v Rousey for number one contender sounds good, that is of course if Ronda isn't making movies.

People really think he's soft? I mean, I've only been watching UFC heavily for the past year and a half. I've only seen Nate fight twice and I never got the impression he's soft. Fighting isn't rocket science. A well placed blow can knock anyone out but I'm sure, and especially professionals could tell who can and can't take a punch and even I was able to tell (from two fights) Nate could take a few punches.

Does it matter? She lost anyway.
I meant to write that they throw softly. They throw those little, consistently pitty-pat shots people make fun off until they actually get hit by them for a couple of rounds. They are insanely though and durable. It is their trademark.

I think she was out when she tried to flip Miesha over hense why she didn't complete the flip she just kinda fell. Her arm movements I think were just unconscious spasms.

she's actually lucky then she didn't do some serious injury to her neck if she was already partial passed out with all that body weight on top of her.

I agree Rousey should fight Holm first, but it won't happen. Tate needs to think about what she has done in the past. I truly think she could beat Rousey with the right gameplan.

she's actually lucky then she didn't do some serious injury to her neck if she was already partial passed out with all that body weight on top of her.

That flip shake off attempt is so dangerous it's unreal. If she was partially out she could have badly injured her own neck or her knee in the attempt. It's also extremely dangerous for the person choking as well, she was trying to flip herself so Miesha's head hit the canvas essentially a spike slam.

Slamming yourself straight backwards is fine, but that was dangerous for both fighters for a number of reasons.

I agree Rousey should fight Holm first, but it won't happen. Tate needs to think about what she has done in the past. I truly think she could beat Rousey with the right gameplan.

It probably could, there will be a lot of money in a rematch for Rousey with Holm, in fact from a business perspective it probably makes sense to have Rousey fight Holm, then whoever wins will get a rematch with Tate.

Miesha winning was probably the best thing that could have happened in the UFC's eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"