Official UFC Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least Vitor wasn't coming in after a loss, he didn't get the fight based on a few words on Twitter.

Have you seen some of the shots Nelson has taken in his last 6 fights? A brutalizing by Werdum, knees from Mir, and uppercuts from Dos Santos.

Vitor would still get thrashed by Anderson.

Yeah, I've seen Nelson get beat up. And I'm a fan of Nelson's. If you can't get past Mir, who I'm also a fan of, you don't deserve a title shot. Don't just throw random heavyweights at the champ just because the champ has beaten the best already. Earn it. But I wouldn't be surprised if they do throw Nelson in there by the end of the year.

Let's say Nelson wins this next fight with Kongo, he's in a good position again. He should get a big fight with someone and he could work his way to a title shot.

If not, he could always work out his current UFC deal and go to Bellator and fight amongst the goofy heavyweights there and then lose a title fight to Josh Barnett.

CrypticOne said:
Vitor would still get thrashed by Anderson.

Yeah, I've seen Nelson get beat up. And I'm a fan of Nelson's. If you can't get past Mir, who I'm also a fan of, you don't deserve a title shot. Don't just throw random heavyweights at the champ just because the champ has beaten the best already. Earn it. But I wouldn't be surprised if they do throw Nelson in there by the end of the year.

There are no options really, aside Belfort. Weidman, maybe Lombard if he wins his next fight, and he's in for a fight with Okami. I could see them trying to fast track Le to a title shot. I also don't mind giving Belfort his rematch with Silva in Brazil and having Weidman face Lombard in a title eliminator.

Last edited:
lost my ass betting on jds, then overeem, now mcdonald

dammmit

Ouch! You picked McDonald?! When was the last time he fought? I think the kid is a future champ, but he had a layoff and that pretty much wipes away your momentum. I thought this would be a pretty easy match to pick, in Barao.

His last fight was in April of last year. I think he did have hand surgery so that's partly why he had a long layoff.

Hopefully Cruz will be able to return soon and will fight Barao.

I went 8/12 in my picks.

Can't wait until next weekend. These UFC cards are just flying right at us.

If he knocks out Condit, he should get the next shot at GSP.

Hey if Diaz wins, then he should automatically get the shot :) . Diaz/Condit 2.

Interesting. Any time TRT is made public before a MacDonald fight, he gets injured. Hmm.

You really think he's on TRT? He's 23 years old.

Also, he did random VADA testing for the Penn fight.

I know people call Fitch boring, but releasing the guy after one loss is just stupid. He's a top fighter in his weight class, and it should be about keeping the best in addition to the money they bring in. I get the business aspect of things, but there still should be a sport aspect of things too. I'm not naive to believe that these guys are only out there fighting for pride and honor, but seeing the best under one roof is a major part of the appeal to the UFC to me. Fitch might be boring, but he's only lost 3 fights in his UFC career.

but leonard garcia still has a job and 2 time failed drug test chris leben still has a job lol

yet they release john fitch lol

That's because Leonard Garcia comes to fight. And Jon Fitch puts people to sleep. Sorry, but its true. He's a one dimensional fighter. 1-2-1 in his last four fights.

What happens when guys out-wrestle him? He's got nothing else in his toolbox. He's not dangerous standing up. He doesn't have a good submission game. He never evolved or showed anything that would be a threat to GSP in a rematch.

Fabricio Werdum was cut after one loss as well. Now he's back and in a much better place in the UFC than when he left.

Fitch can work his way back in and so can a lot of these guys. I think Fitch IMHO got very complacent and refused to evolve as a fighter. He turned people off from his fights and fighting style and then when he started losing it got him nowhere. Scant few cared about him anymore.

Last edited:
I know people call Fitch boring, but releasing the guy after one loss is just stupid. He's a top fighter in his weight class, and it should be about keeping the best in addition to the money they bring in. I get the business aspect of things, but there still should be a sport aspect of things too. I'm not naive to believe that these guys are only out there fighting for pride and honor, but seeing the best under one roof is a major part of the appeal to the UFC to me. Fitch might be boring, but he's only lost 3 fights in his UFC career.

He wouldn't be the first fighter to be released after 1 lose & certainly won't be the last. Some fighters don't even get the chance to fight 3 times in the UFC to even incur Dana White's 3 lose 'rule'.

His form recently has been poor, a draw with BJ Penn, a 12 second KO lose to Hendricks & then was completely destroyed by Damien Maia. Sandwiched in between the Hendricks & Maia fight he had probably his only entertaining fight in the UFC against Erick Silva.. however it wasn't exactly an overwhelmingly dominant performance.

I believe I heard/read an interview where Dana talked about Fitch/GSP 2 during his 5 fight win streak & more or less said, how on earth do I market a rematch with GSP/Fitch. He had 5 wins, with no finishes & none of them are memorable.

It's been the same in boxing for years, sometimes the best fighters never actually make it beyond maybe 10 pro fights, you have to be able to put asses in seats, it would be different if MMA or boxing was a non-profit entity, meaning they don't need to worry about finances, but the reality is they do & unless you have something about you that fans want to see, what use are you? I mean how many times have you ever heard someone say "I can't wait to see the Jon Fitch fight tonight", his style is so boring, he has no personality, he just isn't an entertaining fighter & because he isn't winning anymore, cutting him was probably a pretty straight forward decision from Zuffa.

Load. Of. ****.

Fitch is one of the most successful welterweights the UFC has ever had. Call his style boring all you want but Jon's winning percentage is up there amongst the best. The fact is Dana White was seeking to cut him for whatever reason, and that loss to Maia was it. Destroyed? No. Maia didn't come close to submitting Fitch. Maia is a natural LHW and a world class grappler, so of course he was going to overpower Fitch but don't act as if it's 'karma'. Alves, GSP, Hendricks, etc are all natural LHWs. Fitch loses 10-15 lbs before a fight, GSP has to lose 25 lbs.

You know... Dana White bashes Boxing on a daily basis but the sad reality is that The UFC could very well be as ridiculous as the sport of Boxing in a few years if he keeps this **** up. Seriously, you cut Fitch but keep Garcia? And here I thought The UFC wasn't interested in circus entertainment, huh?

Wow. They cut Fitch?! Some of the names on that list surprised me. Does Fitch ever get back into the UFC? Would he even like to come back after being cut? Well, at least he can go win a title now. I know the UFC didn't like his attitude. Maybe this will be Fitch's wake up call to go and switch camps. But really, the UFC wanted to get rid of Fitch. Look at his last couple of match-ups. Hendricks. Erick Silva. Maia. I think they were looking to fast track his way out. Really bad cut for the UFC.

Load. Of. ****.

Fitch is one of the most successful welterweights the UFC has ever had. Call his style boring all you want but Jon's winning percentage is up there amongst the best. The fact is Dana White was seeking to cut him for whatever reason, and that loss to Maia was it. Destroyed? No. Maia didn't come close to submitting Fitch. Maia is a natural LHW and a world class grappler, so of course he was going to overpower Fitch but don't act as if it's 'karma'. Alves, GSP, Hendricks, etc are all natural LHWs. Fitch loses 10-15 lbs before a fight, GSP has to lose 25 lbs.

Winning percentages don't mean everything, it's who you are beating & how you are beating them. The same to a degree with your loses, it's who beats you & how you were defeated.

But Fitch is supposedly a billed as a world class grappler as well & Maia pretty much gave him both a wrestling & BJJ lesson.

Maia isn't a natural LHW either, Maia always looked undersized at MW because most of the MW's are guys that walk around at 205lbs or so, when he fought Fitch at WW he looked as much a WW as Fitch did. Maia & Fitch are both WW's. They both could/have competed at MW, however both are undersized in that division.

Thiago Alves, GSP & Hendricks aren't natural LHW's either. GSP cuts from around 190lbs or so as does Hendricks I believe. Thiago Alves supposedly walks around between 190lbs - 200lbs, however has been known to rise to 210lbs when he had problems cutting weight.. however despite this, he isn't a natural LHW either. Middleweight maybe, but at MW he would be significantly undersized as most MW's are guys that were too small for the LHW division. By too small I mean in both height & weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"