Official UFC Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bisping is too big for Diaz & I doubt he'd get into a brawling contest with Diaz.. however even if he did I'd still favour Bisping due to his size advantage.

Bisping never gets out of shape unless injured & I believe walks around at about 205lbs or so to my understanding, Diaz is the same but I think he only walks around somewhere between 180lbs-190lbs.

20131018034035_5_D3_6771.jpg

Cain Velasquez (241) Junior dos Santos (240)

Fights have all been amazing so far. Great, great night of fights.

I don't often get chills during fights, but holy hell that Diego/Gil fight is an instant classic. Diego is something else.

That was epic.

Holy crap that cut has practically taken the place of Diego Sanchez's eyebrow.

Absolute war between those 2, gotta be Fight of The Night, there ain't no way Dos Santos/Velasquez or Nelson/Cormier will be able to top that surely..

What a fight. Glad Melendez didn’t get robbed, but what a man Sanchez is.

Junior isn't going to be able to keep up this up, Velasquez is exhausting very little energy & is more or less just leaning on Dos Santos making it hard for him to breath & forcing him to work to get him off.

Very Randy Couture like performance from Cain in these opening rounds, boring, but effective.

Junior I think needed a better game plan than this to deal with Cain.

There's some controversy swirling. The fight should have been stopped earlier after Herb Dean tapped Cain Velasquez on the shoulder. From that point forward, it was just a brutal beatdown. One that will land JDS in the hospital again.

Well what was the story with the shoulder tap from Dean?

I mean I don't think a ref can move in to stop a fight and then restart it. Yves Lavigne did that once. I don't think he was ever punished or reprimanded for it as far as I know.

It was in Matt Brown vs. Pete Sell.

probably one of the best ufc ppvs in a long time
UFC 165 was pretty good too.

I wonder if UFC 167 or UFC 168 can top it.

All the events for the rest of this year are pretty stacked.

EDIT:

Cain said he didn't feel Herb Dean tap his shoulder.

Last edited:
Awesome card. Cain is a beast.

Well what was the story with the shoulder tap from Dean?

I mean I don't think a ref can move in to stop a fight and then restart it. Yves Lavigne did that once. I don't think he was ever punished or reprimanded for it as far as I know.

It was in Matt Brown vs. Pete Sell.

Considering JDS was out on his feet and wobbled into his corner like a half-baked zombie after the bell rang, that fight should have ended while the fight doctor and coaches were looking over him. That stoppage in the fifth was pure mercy on Dean's part.

In my opinion, Herb should have shown more conviction and gotten that man-bear off of Dos Santos in the third.

I agree, but I think Dean was trying to be lenient since it was a title fight.

I mean strange as it is, we've seen guys come back from things like that and win.

Dana White says he thinks the fight should've been stopped in the third.

I think Junior was again way too reckless in this fight.

Junior is tough as nails but he doesn't respect Cain Velasquez's striking which was a huge mistake in these last two fights.

I understand it's a title fight and we've seen great comebacks, but that overhand right Dos Santos absorbed in the third was the nail in the coffin. I mean, JDS sure as hell wasn't winning before but once Junior got tagged by that shot it was over. Literally. JDS was fighting punch-drunk with no stamina and limited vision left. If anything, he was brain dead out there. Whatever the future holds for Dos Santos one thing is for certain, he took 5 years off of his career after fighting Velasquez in those last two bouts.

When Cain tipped JDS over I thought it should have been stopped there. Dos Santos was pretty much gone at that point even though he was throwing some shots at Cain out of desperation. He's got heart though, so I see why it wasn't stopped. I think that if Cain really poured it on they would have stopped it, but he was focused on clinching and dirty boxing a little too much. Oh well, you win how you win, and I can't argue when he looked good and kept the title.

2013 is on its way to being the best year in UFC history. Don't envy the dudes having to compile the best of. Gustafsson/Jones, Stann/Silva, and Condit/Hendricks are some top five. Huge knockouts like Dos Santos/Hunt, Rockhold/Belfort, and Hunt/Struve. Title changes with Silva/Weidman and Pettis/Henderson. Brown and Grant shedding tags with their knockouts.

I wonder if Dos Santos beats fix or six people, does he fight Velasquez a fourth time?

If you want to negate the strengths of a guy like jds, literally do what cain did(if you can). Train to hold the guy against the fence where he has no distance to hurt you or even cock a proper punch for most of the fight. Strategy beats all most of the time and cain did it.

Best way to beat cain st to do to him what he does to other before he get's a chance to do it. Get him against the cage and hope you have the cardio to keep him there.

JDS needs to find a team that will lay out a better game plan, his stuff works against most of the HW div but it depends on luck to work against these aka fighters imo.

Last edited:
Of course, however there's no question Dos Santos will have to beat more than just Mark Hunt to earn another title shot. They'll probably put him at the bottom of the HW contender list alongside Overeem & Nelson. He'll have to fight 3 or 4 fights I'd imagine before they'll let him near the title again.. as long as Velasquez holds it.

Dos Santos can make apparently make 205lbs, perhaps he'll drop down for a year or two if the UFC feel they don't want him KO'ing another 3 or 4 HW's earning another shot against Cain so quickly.

If you want to negate the strengths of a guy like jds, literally do what cain did(if you can). Train to hold the guy against the fence where he has no distance to hurt you or even cock a proper punch for most of the fight. Strategy beats all most of the time and cain did it.

Best way to beat cain it to do to him what he does to other before he get's a chance to do it. Get him against the cage and hope you have the cardio to keep him there.

JDS needs to find a team that will lay out a better game plan, his stuff works against most of the HW div but it depends on luck to work against these aka fighters imo.

Yep. Dangerous strikers can't be dangerous when you've got them in a spot where they can't hurt you too badly. It's funny because a lot of people were calling this MMA's version of Ali/Frazier, and Cain got inside and really did a ton of damage to the dangerous striker like Frazier did to trap Ali against the ropes.

I think that Cain's punching speed also was a big factor in beating JDS twice because he made sure to get off before JDS could really get him with something hard. I also like how Cain rolls with punches now instead of focusing on wading in and punishing. He's really grown throughout his career.

JDS really needs to reconsider using his jab(as in maybe he should throw some). I can't count the amount of times cain beat him to the punch. Granted Cain isn't throwing all that many knock out bombs(jds is), but what's it matter if you plan on going 5 rounds anyways and cain it going to butter your face with medium power hw punches all night.

long story short, cain punches faster but weaker between the two and because jds wasn't all about the jab and circling he lost the majority of exchanges. I do think these aka guys cause strikers to tense up due to that consistent take down threat. I've never seen Roy so hesitant.

They need to put JDS at the bottom of the pool otherwise he'll destroy number one contenders and Dana will be in a pickle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"