Okay Marvel,.. U have my attention - Don't Blow it.

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics' started by Varient, Nov 11, 2005.

1. JewishHobbit

JewishHobbit Registered

Or Young Avengers

Or X-Factor

Or New Avengers

Or Astonishing X-Men

Or Exiles

Or New X-Men

(just thought I'd add a few of my favorates)

2. Varient

Varient Guru for Geeks

Gee.

What do they all have in common??

3. Varient

Varient Guru for Geeks

Y'know,.. I wouldn't mind a good mini showcasing She-Thing and Ben Grimm now that he has his money,.. ending with his getting her cured.

4. deemar325

deemar325 Registered

I'd make it a spoof, like a 'What tha?' issue.

5. Varient

Varient Guru for Geeks

They did it again this week,...

What? Twice in three months?

The run of Comics have Grabbed me by the short hairs,... From the cute momment when a continuity error was neatly explained followed by the knowing look directed at the viewer in Amazing Spiderman to the Seriously GREAT writing in the current issue of the FF where for the FIRST TIME in my reading of it,.. THE CHARACTER JOHNNY STORM Showed how he felt about Ben Grimm that put a cap on the years of mutual abuse they put themselves thru - With the side story of Grimm talking to the Hulk,.. and the Hulk going thru changes.

Very well done.

Black Panther was very good, She-Hulk was funny-sad for me,.. Awesome Andy needs a good break - Exiles was good, and the Xmen where I actually mouthed the words "No,.. No,... Please don't do this to them Again" on finding out what was REALLY going on at Xaivers,....

Same as Before,... Marvel seems to be getting a clue, dropping the fan-boy stuff and reaching for good stories.

I even picked up a copy of Iron-Man after reading ASM #529 to see whether the Tony Stark that drove me away was still there.

6. SpideyInATree

SpideyInATree Chillin' Like a Villain

And don't forget how awesome Captain America, Spider-Girl, Punisher/Bullseye, Runaways, and Daredevil are.

7. Kirk Langstrom

Kirk Langstrom FRANCINE!!!!

FF has been awesome. Loved seeing Ben and Johnny trying to protect each other while the Hulk was tearing into them...and Johnny refusing to abandon Ben at what they both thought was the end was classic. Straz' FF has been excellent so far, imo.

8. Varient

Varient Guru for Geeks

I have to admit I've had BAD experiences with ALL the titles you mentioned and had stopped reading them YEARS ago.

R U saying they have gotten better?

9. Varient

Varient Guru for Geeks

That was my point right there with the FF,.. That Johnny would try,... then refuse to get away,.....

I can't remember the last time he was written that way.:up:

10. Brainiac 8

Brainiac 8 Clark Smash!

All very good right now. Exiles and New X-Men in particular are two of the best X books out there. I fear for Exiles though when Claremont comes aboard, expecially after hearing what he has in store for the team, as far as replacements go.:eek:

The only good thing I have heard so far is we might be getting
    T-Bird back
    . If that is the case, then it will forgive Claremont for anything else he might do in the series.

11. Varient

Varient Guru for Geeks

really?
    Which one?

12. Brainiac 8

Brainiac 8 Clark Smash!

If your asking about the replacements, the latest word is
    Morph will be replaced with Psylocke

If that is the way it's going to happen, I will not be a happy camper. It won't ruin the series by any means, but it'll upset me a little. They already did away with one of my favorites just recently, but then they added in a favorite of mine, so it evened out. GO SPIDEY 2099!:up: :D

13. Varient

Varient Guru for Geeks

I seem to be the only one who liked the last issue of the pulse.

LUKE CAGE was shown in character,.... and Marvel stepped up to the plate,... (Okay,.. Bendis probably did.) and didn't go for all the negative stereotypes involving cage and Jones.

I enjoyed that comic.

14. SpideyInATree

Well, Daredevil just got taken over by Brubaker and Lark. Captain America just finished up with the Bucky stuff and is moving on to Crossbones and Red Skull's daughter. Spider-Girl will soon have the apperance of The Hobgoblin, Roderick Kingsley. Punisher/Bullseye miniseries is just a fun read, espeically if you enjoyed Bullseye: Greatest Hits.

Yes, those books have gotten awesome and if it's been "Years" since you've read them. Boy....did you miss out. :eek:

And I also really dug the last Pulse issue too. Good recap of how she met Luke Cage and everything. I'm just really mad that the book is ending and not being taken over by Jenkins...I really liked that idea of The Pulse.

Marvel is cancelling all its good books. :(

15. 32CAGE

32CAGE Registered

Varient. You're not alone. I thought the final issue of the Pulse was excellent and that Bendis has done more to make Luke Cage a multidimensional and sympathetic character than any writer handling the character over the past 32 years. That says alot because i do believe Jim Owsley aka Christopher Priest and Marc McLaurin made great contributions. I am also of the opinion that in Jessica Jones, Bendis has made one of the most vulnerable and believable characters in the marvel universe. Her and Cage's union just feels right. Not contrived. It is not a fairy-tale type of story but one that incorporates the warts and blemishes of life in the real world.

16. Varient

Varient Guru for Geeks

But of course,.. The Majority of Fan boys are saying amongst themselves,
    (Heard @ my comic store.)
    "That not reality - Cage would'a hit it and quit it "

"Why did it have to be bi-racial,.. can't we have a same (fill in the blank for ALL the variations more prefered than BM/WW.)"

"The Misty Knight / Daniel Rand thing was different,.... They loved each other."

"Cage / Jones coulda done better,..."

"Whatever happened to Dakota North?"

To all this I argued hard where the fanboy could bend enough to listen,... The story was a good one,.. both characters stayed in character,.. name one issue where Cage acted the Man-**** or even mildly the player? Name one issue where Jones was flakey enough to go 90 degrees on a good relationship?

SIGH.

I hope they survive their Marriage.

17. fifthfiend

fifthfiend M4J3ST1C L3G1SL4C3R4TOR

... Are you ****ing kidding me?

Oh ****ing fantastic, well there goes the last Goddamn X-comic I can actually read anymore.

18. iloveclones

iloveclones spooky....

Yeah, I think a lot of people are dreading CC coming on board. I really don't see what he's going to bring to the table.

19. TheCorpulent1

TheCorpulent1 SHAZAM!

Bad, overly verbose dialogue and convoluted plots, if his record is any indication.

20. iloveclones

iloveclones spooky....

The thing I really hate is when he throws 17 new characters that you've never heard about, and tries to make them seem interesting all at once. I bought the first few issues of X-Men: The End (which is a misnomer if I've ever seen one) and I didn't know, or care, who was who.

21. deemar325

deemar325 Registered

Brubaker is really in the zone on Cap. I so hope his Uncanny X-men is worth it.

22. Midnight Ice

Midnight Ice Registered

I am also enjoying Marvel right now. Good to see that others are too. I know that most of the time people just vent on things they dont like here. Thats cool, thats one of the reasons the Hype is here. :xmen:

23. Varient

Varient Guru for Geeks

Disclaimer:

I am not a Bendis-ite.

THE LATEST NEW AVENGERS ROCKED!!!

The opening,.... Cage was the Man W/O TRYING.

The Middle,... Peter Got RESPECT.

The End,... The Apparent "temporary" return of a Hero I enjoyed back when "XMen" wasn't loosely translated to mean, "The adventures of Wolverine when he runs with Mutants."

I liked it.

To be clear,... You won't see me on/at the Bendis worshiping site,

I'm not going to start preaching.

But You want me in your corner all you have to do is do my fav's correctly and step back to let me do my happy dance.

It was done in that issue.

:) :up: :)

24. SpideyInATree

So, you enjoy an issue of New Avengers written by Brian Michael Bendis and you're worried about people calling you a Bendis-ite?

Heh. I'd be worried about that too on this message board. Considering people have a serious anger management issues when it comes to fictional characters and the regular mortal men who write them.

25. Kirk Langstrom

Kirk Langstrom FRANCINE!!!!

The thing that i've really enjoyed lately, is the subtle build up to Civil War...

One of the things that annoyed me about House of M, was the fact that the tie in isues really had nothing to do with the main storyline, other than the fact that they were stories being told within the confines of that "universe"....

I like how with Civil War, we've seen slow build ups (that actually fit and make sense) in FF, Spider-Man, and Hulk.

As a few posters have mentioned; Marvel has DEFINITELY made stronger efforts with this year's events, clearly learning from the past two years of shell-lacking they've gotten from DC in regards to taking these projects a bit more seriously.