Okay Marvel,.. U have my attention - Don't Blow it.

Marvel just needs to get its continuity in order instead of just having slight continuity whenever someone feels like making an effort.

That's one of the reasons why Infinite Crisis, One Year Later, and 52 are the "critics" choice. They've got the strong continuity and game plan.

Marvel just seems like they are throwing things out there to stay on par with DC. And basically, all Marvel has to do is keep it simple and they'll beat DC everytime.

In my opinion, Marvel has the more interesting characters. They need to stop trying too hard to make already very interesting characters INTERESTING! We know they're awesome! Now do something different for crying out loud!

But Marvel has been getting better with its continuity lately. I just fail to see how these guys at Marvel got such bad continuity in the first place. Is it really that difficult to call up a guy and ask what he did in his story? :confused: I do things I don't like to do everyday in my job. Now maybe one writer doesn't get along with the other writer. Big deal. Who cares. Don't you want a product put out there that's quality and people are going to get excited about?

That's really my biggest pet peeve about Marvel is their continuity. They used to have such strong continuity before which is what was one of the largest attractions to Marvel. These books need continuity. If Captain America is battling a Cyborg Bucky in his own title and trying to control The Sentry over in New Avengers....ok....when do these events fall into place?

Because I've been guessing on these things for years and I've constructed my own Marvel continuity. :o

SpideyInATree said:
So, you enjoy an issue of New Avengers written by Brian Michael Bendis and you're worried about people calling you a Bendis-ite?

Heh. I'd be worried about that too on this message board. Considering people have a serious anger management issues when it comes to fictional characters and the regular mortal men who write them.
Open laughter,... truth,.. you admit HERE that you liked something outside of powers that Bendis wrote,.. and you get labeled a Noob-geek-zombie w/o enough character or personality to know good writing when you see it.

SpideyInATree said:
That's really my biggest pet peeve about Marvel is their continuity. They used to have such strong continuity before which is what was one of the largest attractions to Marvel. These books need continuity. If Captain America is battling a Cyborg Bucky in his own title and trying to control The Sentry over in New Avengers....ok....when do these events fall into place?

same with dc though.

Look at the joker's or batmans appearances recently.

Thank you MARVEL for explaining why the Panther was not a part of the Illuminati

Thank you Marvel for underlining how much of a Rat Xaiver is turning out to be.

Thank you Marvel for sticking to what came before as far as Storm and the Panther,.... Peter Parker, Luke Cage, and Mr. Fantastic.

Thank you Marvel for making an effort at better writing.

:)

LOL

I loved the "reintroduction" of DeathLok in the latest issue of Beyond.
a close second in the same issue was the smack down by Medusa, with an "Okay" third being the ressurection of Spiderman.

While I don't like the current civil War in totality,.. I wait to see if they will take the ball and run with legitimizing the Prowler.

I also loved the latest issue of New Xmen. Even depowered Prodigy was a joy to read arguing with Scott and pulling the team together.

I hope that they don't kill him anyway,....

Overall Marvel is STILL making strides in improving the writing from 3 years ago.

Marvel has my attention w/ the Incredible Hulk. PLANET HULK has been amazing so far, i was sick of the seeing the Hulk always running or trying to do deeds to appease the other super-heroes that i just stopped reading. He's the freakin hulk!! There should have been more stories of him kickin ass and taking names. And it seemed there were like now hundreds of heroes who could somehow take him down. Here on this planet, he's treated properly, a god among men (and he's not even fully powered yet). Great story, good ensemble writing.

Well,...
I've only read ONE comic so far this week - AND I ENJOYED HEROES FOR HIRE #1.

Comments:

Good Start in character with Pryde.
Her interaction with Emma was a long time coming,..

Logan was a hoot,.... period.

The concept of "SWORD" is a good one,..... but i'm thinking they are WAYYYY underpowered for what they are supposed to be about.

I'm loving the logan fest happening in Exiles,... And I wish that Mimic's healing power could bring him back And I really really wish that it were possible to safely seperate morph from the butt that assimilated him.

Civil war continues to annoy me for obvious reasons,. but still worth following.

The Marvel Handbook wqasn't too bad,.. my only comment is that patriots stats come pretty close to matching Cages,... and a few of the other hero's seem weaker than i remember,..

More Comments:

I actually ENJOYED the Ultimates ANNUAL #2 with Captain America and the Falcon,...... On a friends say so,.. I picked it up and was loving A Falcon who was not "Snap Wilson" Teamed up with a Captain who was not "Mr. WhiteBread America."

Go figure.

The SpiderWoman Segment in New Avengers was also good because it Backdrops the BOTTOM LINE about Spiderwoman and the inherent Dickiness that is Tony Stark.

Man they are making him easy to hate.

Oh,

And Deadpool is a fool,.. I can now understand why So many like this nut.
Soooooooooooooooo,.. Herc doesn't wear Drawls under that Skirt huh?

LOL.

Whoops.

Forgot that i read she-hulk too,.. and liked the twist there.

One Character:

Darwin.

Is saving the current "xmen in Space" arc.

One Group:

X-Factor.

Is Saving the "Mutant" idea in Marvel.

I enjoyed MOST of the Marvel this week,.. but these are the things that smacked me in the face.
I'm mildly disapointed with the fact that there is stuff out there today, much worse than Slotts Thing and Hudlins Panther,.. and Even Bendis's New Avengers,.. yet those three titles get heat or canceled,...

Darwin really is awesome.

I don't think the "mutant" idea or the curret arc in UXM needs saving but both of us are pretty biased on our views of X-books. :up:

After two weeks of disapointment,... the "new Xmen" comic restored part of my waning faith after the death of someone slott brought back up tothe forefront,.. after the thing cut and ran,... after Parker finally grew a pair.

Speedball?

Sigh.

Okay Marvel,....

Thor Rocks,

Nova Is REAL good,

New Warriors and X-Factor got interesting sub-plots going,..

AFTER about six/eight months of Hit or Miss You guys are Making me wanna read again,.. (Finally)

PLEASE stay steady just a bit longer,... Through Christmas??
:dry:

You guys act like it's nothing but negativity around here. Hardly.

Marvel has quite a few good books going on right now, and I see people toot their horns over them all the time here, me included. The problem is that their MAIN books are not real great, so you see a lot of people upset over them.

People vent here. This is not a bad thing.

Captain A'****ingmerica.

Best book in print IMHO.

I finally enjoyed a WWH comic.

Even the slowest among us now realize that the Hulk does not kill w/o reason,.. That if he kills you,.... you got it coming.

Now we just have to see how many he is willing to let die thru inaction.

Well it happened.

YEARS AFTER THE FACT I find out the real reason Charcoal of the Thunderbolts was Killed off.

Marvel Blew it on this one. Instead of being the bigger company and dragging Wizard up by the short hairs to honor the contest rules that allowed a comic fan to design, submit, and win their "design a villian contest",

They wussed out by just killing Charcoal off when the creator of the character complained about not getting all the prizes promised.

Geez.

"Source" Wiki and an Urban legends website.

This is the eleventh in a series of examinations of comic book urban legends and whether they are true or false. Click here for an archive of the previous ten.

Let’s begin!

COMIC URBAN LEGEND: Marvel killed off a Thunderbolts character because of a rights problem.

In the pages of Wizard, there was a contest held to let the fans figure out who would be the next villain faced by the Thunderbolts.

The winning entry was introduced in the pages of Thunderbolts #19, and his name was Charcoal, the Burning Man.

However, this character, invented to be a one-shot villain, turned out to be TOO good of a creation, as he was quickly added as a MEMBER of the Thunderbolts for the next almost 40 issues, but was abruptly killed in a battle with Graviton in the mid-#50s.

As it turned out, there was some debate over whether the creators of Charcoal had officially signed over all the rights to the character to Marvel, which was part of the contest rules, so since they just could not iron the kinks of the deal out, Marvel decided to instead just get rid of the character (with the intent, presumably, of bringing him back some time in the future).

So, basically, it is highly unlikely that you will ever see Charcoal in the pages of a Marvel comic again.

Which is too bad, as he was a good character.

(Thanks to Chris Arndt for filling in some details)

It just bugs me to know that a character can show promise and be killed *Via Editorial Mandate*

Meh.

Now I have to wonder about the last few heroes in Marvel who have been killed suddenly.

That's less Editorial mandate and more "let's not get sued here." Same fate of ROM. It happens. The guys who came up with him could have signed off on it. They decided not to.

I'm confused about how that could even be a problem. If they create a contest where a fan can design a character specifically to be used in a Marvel comic, shouldn't they have air-tight legal ownership of the character for exactly such a case? Was the lawyer who drafted the contract for that contest high when he wrote it or something? :huh:

That's less Editorial mandate and more "let's not get sued here." Same fate of ROM. It happens. The guys who came up with him could have signed off on it. They decided not to.

ROM too?
Sigh,... I thought that was ended as a "resolved" storyline.
On topic: Everything I read on it was that the contract that wizard drafted had holes in it and the fan didn't get everything he was promised so he wouldn't give ove the rights to the character to Marvel.

I'm confused about how that could even be a problem. If they create a contest where a fan can design a character specifically to be used in a Marvel comic, shouldn't they have air-tight legal ownership of the character for exactly such a case? Was the lawyer who drafted the contract for that contest high when he wrote it or something? :huh:
Yeah, whomever drafted up the contract for that contest should be tracked down and abused.

I feel Marvel took the easy way out.

Well, even if it's the shakiest of claims, if it makes it to a courtroom, Marvel's gotta pay lawyers to be there. They probably decided that Charcoal didn't exactly rise to the level of Spider-Man. Or Hulk. Or Howard the Duck. No big loss here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"