One of My Fave CDs...

Hell with buying CDs. Buy legally online and back them up... physical copies of media is going to go away eventually anyway, might as well get used to it.

Legally downloading music is so much more convenient and usually, if you buy by the album, cheaper. :up:

You know what's a good album?

ORIG_1162295573_Guns_N_Roses__Appet.jpg

I've been listening to it a lot lately, getting myself ready for Chinese Democracy (which from the demos and singles, seems like it's going to be awesome too). I especially love It's So Easy

You get nothin' for nothin'
If that's what you do
Turn around b**ch I got a use for you
Besides, you ain't got nothin' better to do
And I'm bored

Oh, Axl Rose, you sir are a true poet...And I'm not being sarcastic about that either.

Incredible album.

Another one where there's not a bad track on it.

A few more faves up for discussion:

I heard George Martin say one time that he thought White should've been trimmed down, to make one really great album, instead of hte 2 discs, and I kind of agree. It's still great, one of their best, but trim the fat a bit...and it's even better. Songs like Martha My Dear, Little Piggies, there are several on there that I skip over. :csad:

But I guess some people like em. :shrug:

I heard George Martin say one time that he thought White should've been trimmed down, to make one really great album, instead of hte 2 discs, and I kind of agree. It's still great, one of their best, but trim the fat a bit...and it's even better. Songs like Martha My Dear, Little Piggies, there are several on there that I skip over. :csad:

But I guess some people like em. :shrug:

I like them. I enjoy the more quirky, less complex stuff. I'll admit that "Bungalow Bill" and "Wild Honey Pie" could've been trimmed.

You know what's a good album?

ORIG_1162295573_Guns_N_Roses__Appet.jpg

I've been listening to it a lot lately, getting myself ready for Chinese Democracy (which from the demos and singles, seems like it's going to be awesome too). I especially love It's So Easy

You get nothin' for nothin'
If that's what you do
Turn around b**ch I got a use for you
Besides, you ain't got nothin' better to do
And I'm bored

Oh, Axl Rose, you sir are a true poet...And I'm not being sarcastic about that either.

I've been thinking about buying Appetite for Destruction on iTune alot lately. As a hugh 80's fan, I wasn't particularly enamored with GnR initially but I have become a fan over the years. I'm still on the fence for their Chinese Democracy but I'm willing to listen to a few songs and see how it is.

And what, pray tell, do you have against Amy Grant? I personally believe she's one of the most talented musicians around, Christian or otherwise. I grew up listening to many of her songs, and she remains a favorite of mine to this day. Her ways of mixing contemporary styles with Godly lyrics just works on so many levels.

We don't agree on alot of things, but I have to confess that I'm an Amy Grant fan myself, and I own many of her CDs ("Age to Age" is probably her finest). It's not a surprise that she's the most successful gospel singer in history (next to Elvis Pristley, that is).

In all honesty, I think Amy Grant is pretty awesome

minipooptm1.jpg

[/2004]

Raiden said:
We don't agree on alot of things, but I have to confess that I'm an Amy Grant fan myself, and I own many of her CDs ("Age to Age" is probably her finest). It's not a surprise that she's the most successful gospel singer in history (next to Elvis Presley, that is).
Some of my favorite songs from Amy include "Find a Way", "Angels", "Stay for a While", "Good for Me", "That's What Love is For", "Saved by Love", and her duet with Peter Cetera, "The Next Time I Fall".

I also love her Christmas music, especially her cover versions of "Sleigh Ride" and "Grown-Up Christmas List".

Last edited:
Another album that I enjoy, although I have to admit that I didn't get into them until college.

PortisheadDummy.jpg

Not everything I listen to is metal

I have the "Justified" CD myself. Some of the tracks work ("Like I love You", "Senorita", "Cry Me a River"), but most really don't in my opinion. I saw his solo performance at the VMAs a few years ago, and it seemed like he was trying too hard to replicate other artists (Michael Jackson being a noted example). As for his second album, I've deliberately avoided it; I have no interest in hearing an entire CD about sexual conquest and such. I barely even listen to "Justified" anymore, anyways.
I hate to burst your bubble but most songs, most good songs, are about a) sex or b) drugs (or both) whether you realize it while listening to them, or not. "In the Garden of Eden" wasn't a song about creationism, and "Tambourine man" wasn't about street musicians.

I'm currently listening too:
John Legend: Once Again
John%20Legend%20-%20Once%20Again.jpg

Over the years though I've grown to really like John Mayer, and I own all three of his main albums plus some other stuff with him. I have quite a bit of Kanye West, though he's become very grating to listen to. I own "Justified" and "FutureSex/Lovesounds" too. I try to keep a good bit of pop in my car so my friends to have to listen to Prince or Blue guitar when they get in my car. My longtime favorites are Michael Jackson "Bad", Johnny Cash (pretty much anything) and Lyle Lovett "Road to Ensenada" and "My Baby Don't Tolerate" and of course "Pontiac".

But I'm going to go ahead and disagree with your contention their ShadowBoxing. There are tons of great songs about loneliness, strife, sadness, violence, mythology, religion, fear, etc.

So it's a bit glib to say that most good songs are about sex or drugs.

Last edited:
I hate to burst your bubble but most songs, most good songs, are about a) sex or b) drugs (or both) whether you realize it while listening to them, or not. "In the Garden of Eden" wasn't a song about creationism, and "Tambourine man" wasn't about street musicians.
To drive this point home, I'll post up a few key lyrics from one of the Justin Timberlake songs Moviefan2k4 likes ("Like I Love You")...

Just be limber

You will know the difference when I touch you

You have me sleeping in the same bed every night

Funny how a few words turn into sex

I just love your brain

ShadowBoxing said:
...most good songs, are about a) sex or b) drugs (or both) whether you realize it while listening to them, or not. "In the Garden of Eden" wasn't a song about creationism, and "Tambourine man" wasn't about street musicians.
I don't think I've ever heard "Tambourine Man", and the only "Eden" song I recall was done in the '80's by John Cafferty. The lyrics of that song seemed to be about the playful pursuit between the sexes.

As for music in general, I know a lot of good songs where the lyrics have nothing to do with sex or drugs. Here's a partial list of my faves, just to name a few.

"The Power of Love" - Huey Lewis and the News
"Never Gone" - Backstreet Boys
"All You Wanted" - Michelle Branch
"The Glory of Love" - Peter Cetera
"Go the Distance" - Michael Bolton
"Hold On" - Wilson Phillips
"Into the West" - Annie Lennox
"Someday" - All-4-One
"What I've Done" - Linkin Park

I don't think I've ever heard "Tambourine Man", and the only "Eden" song I recall was done in the '80's by John Cafferty. The lyrics of that song seemed to be about the playful pursuit between the sexes.

As for music in general, I know a lot of good songs where the lyrics have nothing to do with sex or drugs. Here's a partial list of my faves, just to name a few.

I actually agree with you on some of these points. There are many good songs which don't have anything to do with sex or drugs or violence. Or at least, songs which aren't explicitly about those items.

I don't listen to a lot of music which deals explicitly with that subject matter. However, I don't judge the quality of a song around that subject matter, either, which is probably where you and I differ.

Most of Bruce Springsteen's songs deal with love and sex to an extent... but to ignore the excellence of his music and extent of his talents as a singer/ songwriter solely because of what he's singing about would be a travesty. Same thing with Bob Dylan, Billy Joel, David Bowie and many other artists. Sometimes, you have to look beyond the lyrical content to discover the true value of the music you're listening to.

That's actually one song I enjoy. But I prefer "Walking on Broken Glass" to that.

"Someday" - All-4-One
Dude. Seriously? :csad:

The Annie Lennox song is the only decent one on that list. You really should give the album that I and others have recommended. You might actually like them. Especially the one I recommended. :o

"Someday" - All-4-One
Interesting list. Only one will never be played on the Delilah radio show.

As for me, anything Metallica, and I have to have a copy of Hell Freezes Over in my car at all times.

Haha...moviefan is like Delilah's soul mate.

To drive this point home, I'll post up a few key lyrics from one of the Justin Timberlake songs Moviefan2k4 likes ("Like I Love You")...

Just be limber

You will know the difference when I touch you

You have me sleeping in the same bed every night

Funny how a few words turn into sex

I just love your brain
I'm listening to "Senorita" right now, and as far as I can tell, this song is fairly sexual. It seems to be about getting a woman into bed. Also "Rock Your Body" from the same CD is definitely a sex song.

Dude. Seriously? :csad:

The Annie Lennox song is the only decent one on that list. You really should give the album that I and others have recommended. You might actually like them. Especially the one I recommended. :o
Seriously. He said "a list of good music" and then proceeded to give me songs by Michelle Branch, the Backstreet Boys and Linkin Park!?11!!1!!!11???.

I mean geez, he could have at least used my own logic against me by listing the gospel songs off Lyle Lovett's albums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"