Opinion: Very depressed now

If you don't like the candidates, why even vote?

Even if it just propagates the same screwed up system over and over?

Because voting is a right we all have and should exercise....
I'm getting tired of saying this, but Voting is not a right. Look it up. It is a DUTY, your only Duty to our system.

I'm getting tired of saying this, but Voting is not a right. Look it up. It is a DUTY, your only Duty to our system.

my apologies then.....at 28 I have voted consistently since turning 18....If you dont vote, you dont get to complain

well the system isnt changing anytime soon.....so the choices are limited

And one of those choices is not voting. People shouldn't be bullied into voting. Makes you wonder how many of our past leaders would've gotten elected if the voters weren't forced to choose between Undesirable Choice A and Undesirable Choice B.

Speaking of bullying...

My only duty is to uphold what I believe and there is no system that will take priority over what I feel to be truly important.

My only duty is to uphold what I believe and there is no system that will take priority over what I feel to be truly important.

So you don't believe in the system, yet you are a beneficiary of it.....seems kinda hypocritical of you. You are free to come on the Hype and b**ch about it.....

So you don't believe in the system, yet you are a beneficiary of it.....seems kinda hypocritical of you. You are free to come on the Hype and b**ch about it.....

How do I benefit from the current voting system? How is it being hypocritical to state what I feel to be true and debate it intelligently (as opposed to b**ching about something)?

How do I benefit from the current voting system? How is it being hypocritical to state what I feel to be true and debate it intelligently (as opposed to b**ching about something)?

The system ensures freedom of speech....or does the system only suck because no one you like is running??

The system ensures freedom of speech....or does the system only suck because no one you like is running??

First off, the Bill of Rights and the Constitution ensure my freedom of speech. Secondly, if anything, this attitude of "the system ensures your freedom of speech.. so don't go using it to badmouth said system" reeks of hypocrisy and actually serves to limit the freedoms of those who'll buy into it.

Thirdly, this year will be the first year I'll be looking into an election with intent to vote. I'm waiting for the primaries to be over before I start mulling over my options. If, and that's an IF, I find that no candidate supports policies that I agree with, then I will not be voting. However, if I do find a candidate that's "for me", I'll throw my vote his/her way.

Finally, even if I do happen to support this system this year, there is no denying that it is broken and needs some actual change to do what it's supposed to; i.e. serve the people of this country.

First off, the Bill of Rights and the Constitution ensure my freedom of speech. Secondly, if anything, this attitude of "the system ensures your freedom of speech.. so don't go using it to badmouth said system" reeks of hypocrisy and actually serves to limit the freedoms of those who'll buy into it.

Thirdly, this year will be the first year I'll be looking into an election with intent to vote. I'm waiting for the primaries to be over before I start mulling over my options. If, and that's an IF, I find that no candidate supports policies that I agree with, then I will not be voting. However, if I do find a candidate that's "for me", I'll throw my vote his/her way.

Finally, even if I do happen to support this system this year, there is no denying that it is broken and needs some actual change to do what it's supposed to; i.e. serve the people of this country.

Ive always found that its near impossible to find a candidate that lines up with your views 100 percent....as for "limiting freedoms" I really dont see how mine are limited if at all

Ive always found that its near impossible to find a candidate that lines up with your views 100 percent....as for "limiting freedoms" I really dont see how mine are limited if at all

I never said 100%, but if (as in the thread title) you're getting "depressed" about your options, I don't see a point in voting at all. All you'll be doing is making a decision that you won't be happy with.

As for "limiting freedoms", I'm sure that there are some who feel very pressured to vote, even if they don't necessarily feel that the candidates are good, just because of this notion that it's a "duty" and "if you don't vote, you can't complain".

It should be, if you don't make an effort to change, then you can't complain.

I think there is a difference between being depressed that your primary choice is out........and just not voting. If it looks like there is chance that an opposing candidate that you absolutely do not want in office, then you better sure as hell vote....against that candidate.

I disagree with that, as picking the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. But, I'm not going to argue that. All I'm saying is that this "Vote or die" attitude is stupid, and that people can choose not to vote (and shouldn't be badgered for doing so).

I think there is a difference between being depressed that your primary choice is out........and just not voting. If it looks like there is chance that an opposing candidate that you absolutely do not want in office, then you better sure as hell vote....against that candidate.

Truth.

And I certainly think that's whats happened to Hilary right now, and will probably happen even more if she becomes the nominee.

jmanspice said:
You know what? Republicans don't only oppose abortion.

Abortion isn't a blue or red issue confined to one party, and to say that Republicans are evil because they don't support abortions is an ignorant statement-- especially from someone who knows so very little about the US political system.

Honestly, i think i know more than you. I read your whole post,i would have quoted it all..but it would take up too much space. You take much for granted,as what i said before..they are..because look at the state of your country.

Mr Sparkle said:
you're already oppressed.

They are,they just don't know it yet.

SuperFerret said:
If you don't like the candidates, why even vote?

It's a right American soliders have died for. The freedom to vote for who you want in office. It's what Malice said in the first post,it's sad that often you can't vote for the person you want directly..always someone who is similar to what you want..but not exactly.

the "state of our country"???.....I'm doing ok, I have a job and am able to make a living....

Honestly, i think i know more than you. I read your whole post,i would have quoted it all..but it would take up too much space. You take much for granted,as what i said before..they are..because look at the state of your country.

I work for this government. I study this government. I've been an American citizen all my life. I hate several aspects of this government. I absolutely love most of how this country works. This country is in good shape on the whole. Politically, it sucks. But you know what? We're still a hegemony. We'll be a hegemony for the next century. We'll remain the number one superpower in this world. And I'm happy to be a part of it.

Sorry you couldn't respond with depth, or even digest anything of merit I said. But I refuse to take you seriously.

You don't know anything about America. Americans don't make baseless generalizations like you do. Feel free to express your opinion... but to say that you know more about the Americans on this forum is just... laughable to say the least.

the only republican I would vote for is Huckabee, I live in arkansas and I think he did a good job as govenor here.

Interesting...
Of course Dems did the same thing in the Republican dominated do-nothing previous congress...

The symptoms are the same regardless of the party...they all should be fired...and bring in clones of me. :)
With one exception, the Dems had a good reason to filibuster. It's not good if the Supreme Court becomes a conclave of religious "yes men" and it's equally not good to amend the constitution because some people consider a non-criminal practice icky.

Republicans are not evil. The philosophy of the Republican Party is not evil. Are there misguided tensions within the party? Sure. I'd say the same thing about a few issues the Democrats support, too. But to say that the Republican Party is Satan, and that the Democrats are Jesus, is like comparing the Sun with the Moon.

The core differences between Democrats and Republicans lie within their ideologies, not the people of the party. I have friends who are hardcore conservatives. Friends who I wouldn't vote for if they ran for office, and friends who wouldn't vote for me if I did the same. But we get along, go to parties together, watch movies, talk politics... our lives go on. We coexist. To dip into the analogy reservoir once again, it's a lot like what goes on in this forum. You have DC fans and Marvel fans, and both fans support their hero of choice adamantly. But most of us can get along just fine, whether we like Batman or Spider-Man. It's the extremists, the ones who post in Heath Ledger's memorial thread saying "He should have died because teh Joker is teh suck" or the ones who post in the Spider-Man thread who say "Spider-Man is teh gay" who ruin everything. And that's what people like you do. You confine people to their political party and generate an opinion about them because of their party affiliation. You don't judge them as a person, and that really, really sucks.

If you want an excellent example of how people aren't driven solely on partisanship in our government... look at Barack Obama. He is the most liberal member of the Senate. Do you know who one of his best friends is? It's Tom Coburn from Oklahoma, arguably one of the most conservative members in the Senate. They became friends after Mrs. Coburn and Mrs. Obama had dinner together, and decided to invite their husbands along for their next get together. Since then, they've been incredibly close. They differ on policy issues, but they respect and admire each other as people. Just as I would expect SupermanBeyond or Malice to respect some of the more liberal posters here. While debate on certain issues may be heated sometimes, at the end of the day, we all get along, and none of us attack each other because of their party affiliation or ideological principles-- though we may debate it thoroughly and caustically.

Very interesting, allow me to play devil's advocate for a second.

When does the political become the personal?

I don't think it's as easy as you make it out to be. Lets take your position. If I were a gay man and would have a friend, with whom I disagree politically because he's, lets say, a Republican and said friend, if he himself has nothing against gays, heck, maybe is even pro gay, would vote the party, allthough he knows that the party line if vehemently anti-gay, I would really consider severing ties. I mean it would come off to me as the ultimate form of betrayal, if someone I call a friend votes people into power who's mission seems to be, to make my live as miserable as possible. I don't think personal issues and political issues can be separated that easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"