Original Unaltered Star Wars Trilogy on DVD: 9/12 to 12/31

<(o_o)> said:
I guess Han Solo will be the one shooting first. It's like in the original Han would have shot the alien who double crossed him in cold blood but in the remastered version George probably made the alien guy fire at Han first so Han was returning fire to defend himself.
Even though when Lucas made Star Wars back, he had the chance to have Greedo shoot first. Then 20 years later, he had a change of heart.

Matt said:
And just for the record...who shoots first on these DVDs?

If it be the original prints it's Han Solo. How many people wanna bet Lucas is using the Remastered 90's Laserdisc prints to transfer the original Theatrical Trilogy to DVD? I mean the remastered home video release not Special Edition.

The Lumberjack said:
Lucasfilm has announced that this September fans can look forward to the long-awaited DVD release of the original theatrical incarnations of the classic "Star Wars" trilogy!

In response to overwhelming demand, Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release attractively priced individual two-disc releases of "Star Wars," "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi." Each release includes the 2004 digitally remastered version of the movie, as well as the original theatrical edition of the film. That means you'll be able to enjoy "Star Wars" as it first appeared in 1977, "Empire" in 1980, and "Jedi" in 1983.

See the title crawl to "Star Wars" before it was known as "Episode IV"; see the pioneering, if dated, motion control model work on the attack on the Death Star; groove to Lapti Nek or the Ewok Celebration song like you did when you were a kid; and yes, see Han Solo shoot first.

This release will only be available for a limited time: from September 12th to December 31st. The international release will follow on or about the same day. Each original theatrical version will feature Dolby 2.0 Surround sound, close-captioning, and subtitles in English, French and Spanish for their U.S. release. International sound and subtitling vary by territory.

"Over the years, a truly countless number of fans have told us that they would love to see and own the original version that they remember experiencing in theaters," said Jim Ward, President of LucasArts and Senior Vice President of Lucasfilm Ltd. "We returned to the Lucasfilm Archives to search exhaustively for source material that could be presented on DVD. This is something that we're very excited to be able to give to fans in response to their continuing enthusiasm for Star Wars. Topping it off with a new interactive adventure makes September 12 a red-letter day for Star Wars fans."
That should answer your question, Matt.

I can't wait til the 30th anniversary so I can have a 6th set. :p

This is cool, and I see the fanboys already coming out saying how they beat Lucas lol, hes laughing his way all the way to the bank with this one.

Wow.
Already bought the other versions of the films for DVD.
I hate it when I buy a DVD, and an even better version comes out a year later.

Oh well...

I dont care about the original versions.

Godzilla2000 said:
Well, they can awlways digitally remove the flaws of transferring the original prints to DVD. I'm not talking extensively adding things that weren't there in the first place, but just cleaning it up a bit to remove blatant FX traces that were unavoidable back in the 70's and 80's.

I want no alterations. Every matte box around a TIE fighter and the huge vasaline glob "hiding" the wheels under Luke's landspeeder. I want the wretched bluescreen on the Rancor, every fake looking mask and muppet, every flaw that they always had. Start fixing stuff and it's the SE.

And I want ANH to be the 1977 version, minus the episode title, 3PO's tractor beam explanation, etc.

I'll buy this simply for one reason... If it's actually limited...

Give it 2 years and the price will be insane on ebay and I'll be kicking myself in the head for not picking it up...

I just heard the news about SW on Showbiz. Awesome to have the OT on dvd without the god aweful cgi alterations!

Instead we have our beloved god-awful bluescreen. :O

Yeah, and the horrid matte lines. And all the bad transparancies. Not to mention the huge glob of vasaline under Luke's landspeeder. And masks that don't move. Muppets that don't...muppet. And the horrid "Yub yub song."

Both editions have a few warts. The movies are still basically the same. I am glad Lucas is releasing the old ones though. For historical and comparision reasons alone, it's the right thing to do.

Darthphere said:
This is cool, and I see the fanboys already coming out saying how they beat Lucas lol, hes laughing his way all the way to the bank with this one.

Everything is proceeding as Lucas has foreseen!

logansoldcigar said:
and you believe this wasnt the plan from the start?
According to all the BS coming from the mouth of great creator, GL it wasn't.

Addendum said:
And that is a problem how?

I still enjoy watching the Original Star Trek series, the original Twilight Zone, the original Outer Limits, and the TV series Babylon 5, and I'm still trying to get Blake's 7 on DVD.

Each series does have parts where the effects may not be as strong as they could have been, or you get a moment of "wobbly set". Aside from Babylon 5 and Blake's 7, which came out in the 90's and 70's respectively, the series mentioned came out in the 60's. And yet, people enjoy them despite the limits of technology available at the time? Why?

Because the stories told in those series are damned good.

The same is true for the original versions of Star Wars, Empire, and Return of the Jedi.

Woah! I never said I did not like it if the film was pretty scracthcy. That type of stuff increases my entusiam. For many people like me, this will be therefirst time to watch the "ORIGINAL" Star Wars!!!:up:

Which special edition is coming out, the 1997 or the 2004? seeing as how the '97 and '04 have two different Jabba's and Anakin at the end of ROTJ.

I figured Lucas would finally give in to the almighty dollar. I can't wait to see his next interview when he tries to explain this one.

Lighthouse said:
I figured Lucas would finally give in to the almighty dollar. I can't wait to see his next interview when he tries to explain this one.

I know, that ****er, giving us what we've wanted for so long. God, I hate him.

We could just get the Origianl Theatrical editions on Laser Disc (IF u can find a player, or VHS, or some people have convered the Laser Disc 2 DVD). I will get those if there turns out not to be alot of special features!

Hey and Idont think www.originaltrilogy.com has learned that there dreams have finally come true! LOL!

Good thing I was smart enough not to buy that SE crap on DVD.

me 2! Never bought them! Though I might have borrow thjem from a friend!!:)

TheVileOne said:
Good thing I was smart enough not to buy that SE crap on DVD.

^Are you gonna buy the saga set in the summer of 07?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"