Homecoming Out with the amazing and in with the Marvel Lounge - Part 10

Also ordered Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows (yes, sadly including a Slott work in my collection) to get ready for Conway's RYV when that releases.

Renew Your Vows is proof that Dan Slott can write good fun Spidey stories without making him a man child people dislike.

Slott's definitely capable, idk what the problem is tbh. His work has fallen off hardcore ever since Wacker left as editor.

Renew Your Vows is proof that Dan Slott can write good fun Spidey stories without making him a man child people dislike.

And I liked his Spider-Man/Human Torch "I'm with stupid" series as well. But otherwise I still think Slott is bad for Spider-Man.

And I liked his Spider-Man/Human Torch "I'm with stupid" series as well. But otherwise I still think Slott is bad for Spider-Man.

I'm well aware that you're a marriage fan (as am I) but didn't you care for any of his BND work? I loved New Ways to Die, the Mysterio arc, probably a couple more I can't think of.

Slott's definitely capable, idk what the problem is tbh. His work has fallen off hardcore ever since Wacker left as editor.
It's strange that his best work is Superior Spider-Man.

I love that.
Another good Spidey piece by Dan Slott is Dark Reign: The List: Spider-Man.

Slott has done good work, but I think the title needs new blood. Nick Spencer would be a good fit, once he wraps his current storylines in the Cap books.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing a new writer take the reigns, but judging from some recent tweets by Slott, that doesn't appear imminent.

Slott has done good work, but I think the title needs new blood. Nick Spencer would be a good fit, once he wraps his current storylines in the Cap books.

Diggin' the Ghost Rider avatar! :ghost:

It's strange that his best work is Superior Spider-Man.
I'm a big fan of that arc. It nails why Doc Ock is the defining Spider-Man villain, and why Peter Parker is the true hero NYC needs.

You know what I need to find and play again?

250px-MaximumcarnageSNES_boxart.jpg

Dan Slott just doesn't do it for me. Spider-island is about where I lost interest. What an awful story.

I think the concept is quite good, but the execution is not.

I'm a big fan of that arc. It nails why Doc Ock is the defining Spider-Man villain, and why Peter Parker is the true hero NYC needs.
:gg: (Norman) is his No. 1.
Ock isn't shy of coming close.

You know what I need to find and play again?

250px-MaximumcarnageSNES_boxart.jpg
The Super Famicom port has better sound, but the blast processor of the Mega Drive made the game easier.

Dan Slott just doesn't do it for me. Spider-island is about where I lost interest. What an awful story.
Did you at least read the Hercules tie-in issues? Those are fun.

I actually like Slott. OMD and BND were horrible messes. Seriously close to quitting the books. Then Slott took over as sole writer with Big Time. It was like a switch was turned. His knowledge of the character and his vast continuity and history and using multiple plot building set up, made me enjoy the title in a way I had not since the late 80's. It felt like the comics I read in the 70's and 80's. And events like Spider Island and End of the World were better than Marvel's events at the time (I know that's not saying much).

Yeah, things have been a little bumpy since Pete's return after Superior Spider-Man. Didn't like the whole Spiderverse thing. And I miss him being in New York. But lately, things are picking up again. I like Harry working for PI and happy to see the Prowler again. Plus Doc Ock coming back. And despite the mess the Clone Saga was in the 90's, I enjoyed the original saga in the 70's. I'm interested with Slott's knowledge of Spidey's history what he does with this storyline.

Being a fan of the marriage to MJ, I am also interested in RYV, even if I was a little let down by the mini series. But it has Conway as writer and he was the writer when I first started buying Amazing back in the 70's. Not sure about MJ with powers. Hopefully it will be handled well like in Spider Island.

Ahh, see Spider-Island is probably my favorite post-JMS story on the book.

Every "event" by Slott since then has been lackluster (Ends of the Earth) to awful (Spider-Verse) IMO.

I actually like Slott. OMD and BND were horrible messes. Seriously close to quitting the books. Then Slott took over as sole writer with Big Time. It was like a switch was turned. His knowledge of the character and his vast continuity and history and using multiple plot building set up, made me enjoy the title in a way I had not since the late 80's. It felt like the comics I read in the 70's and 80's. And events like Spider Island and End of the World were better than Marvel's events at the time (I know that's not saying much).

Yeah, things have been a little bumpy since Pete's return after Superior Spider-Man. Didn't like the whole Spiderverse thing. And I miss him being in New York. But lately, things are picking up again. I like Harry working for PI and happy to see the Prowler again. Plus Doc Ock coming back. And despite the mess the Clone Saga was in the 90's, I enjoyed the original saga in the 70's. I'm interested with Slott's knowledge of Spidey's history what he does with this storyline.

Being a fan of the marriage to MJ, I am also interested in RYV, even if I was a little let down by the mini series. But it has Conway as writer and he was the writer when I first started buying Amazing back in the 70's. Not sure about MJ with powers. Hopefully it will be handled well like in Spider Island.

OMD was a horrible abortion of a storyline, I defy anyone to argue that. And after it, I quit reading up until the v.3 relaunch after Superior ended. I disliked most of vol. 3, ESPECIALLY Spider-Verse (ugh. ugh. ugh. When people praise it, I want to cry). I then went back to reread starting from the beginning of BND. And outside of a few misfires (OMIT or Shed for example), BND produced some really great stories. Just off the top of my head:

24/7
Red-Headed Stranger (possibly the best Chameleon story ever)
Power to the People
New Ways to Die
Mysterioso
Something Can Stop the Juggernaut
and my personal favorite... Unscheduled Stop. God, I love that story. Marcos Martin is incredible.

I actually enjoyed most of those more than Big Time, if I'm being honest, although Big Time was pretty enjoyable for the most part. Superior was great despite limping to the finish a bit. It's just that everything since has fallen flat or been downright bad. I do truly believe that has more than a bit to do with the editorial change after Wacker left.

P.S. That's not to discuss all the good storytelling opportunities that came during BND, such as

Mayor JJJ
Return of Harry Osborn
Back to the basics as far as villains
More street level
Mr. Negative
Menace

I hate OMD and I miss the marriage, especially as written maturely by JMS, Paul Jenkins, JMD, and the like, but it would be unreasonable to dismiss BND completely out of hand because of OMD.

Last edited:
I'm well aware that you're a marriage fan (as am I) but didn't you care for any of his BND work? I loved New Ways to Die, the Mysterio arc, probably a couple more I can't think of.

Not all of BND is bad, but I can only think of a few runs that are noteworthy good. The whole point from OMD and with BND was to get back to telling great Spider-Man stories because as a single guy, Peter was to be better off and be more in character than as a married man. I've yet to see these 'great' stories that were supposed to happen. A few gems hidden amongst the rocks doesn't make me appreciate what's been done.

I guess we can't agree on everything, Mr. Gnome :oldrazz: So, this is where we butt heads.

I don't deny Slott's encyclopedia-esque knowledge of Spider-Man's lore and continuity and that makes him a fan. The problem with Slott is that he's the wrong type of fan. He has an opinion and if you or someone else disagrees with his opinion, then you're wrong. Because in his mind, his opinion isn't one, it's a fact. I also can't ignore the many, downright awful things he's either said at various cons or on social media. I have liked some of the things that he's done but they are few and far between.

P.S. That's not to discuss all the good storytelling opportunities that came during BND, such as

Mayor JJJ
Return of Harry Osborn
More street level
Mr. Negative
Menace

I hate OMD and I miss the marriage, especially as written maturely by JMS, Paul Jenkins, JMD, and the like, but it would be unreasonable to dismiss BND completely out of hand because of OMD.
I despise Menace as much as I do the second half of OMD.

Mayor JJJ
Return of Harry Osborn
More street level
Mr. Negative
Menace

Sorry, but aside from Mr. Negative, there was little for me to like in BND. I hated Menace (and I'm a big fan of Goblin and Goblin related villains). Bob Gale, who wrote one of my favorite movies of all time, gave us that drug fueled villain, Freak was it? No reason to bring back Harry. Forcing Carlie down our throats, who seemed clearly meant to be Gwen whose return was vetoed. Pete being reduced to a loser slacker that he never was even when high school. In the MU, Norman Osborn was leading his Dark Reign. It was a perfect opportunity to bring Pete/Spidey to the forefront of Marvel. But because of BND, they wanted to keep Pete in his corner and develop his new status quo. Jackpot being teased as MJ. MJ being involved with that actor made me ill, because in my mind she was still married to Pete (and was hoping Marvel would come to their senses and restore the marriage). Pete had a drunken one night stand, for crying out loud!

OMD is clearly the lowest story point in Spidey comic history, but it was also the start of the the lowest era in Spidey history. It was an agenda to return the character to his roots, but it only threw away years of growth and continuity and original supporting characters.

I was VERY happy when Slott came along.

Bob Gale, who wrote one of my favorite movies of all time, gave us that drug fueled villain, Freak was it?
I thought the way he defeated him was funny.

Pete being reduced to a loser slacker that he never was even when high school.
I liked how he tried to hunt for a job in Amazing 546, and was turned down because of his time as Spider-Man having a bad influence.

In the MU, Norman Osborn was leading his Dark Reign. It was a perfect opportunity to bring Pete/Spidey to the forefront of Marvel. But because of BND, they wanted to keep Pete in his corner and develop his new status quo.
Brian Bendis sucked at writing Spider-Man in these events, and made him a useless idiot most of the time, even pre-BND.

Jackpot being teased as MJ. MJ being involved with that actor made me ill, because in my mind she was still married to Pete (and was hoping Marvel would come to their senses and restore the marriage). Pete had a drunken one night stand, for crying out loud!
Yuck to all of these.

Sorry, but aside from Mr. Negative, there was little for me to like in BND. I hated Menace (and I'm a big fan of Goblin and Goblin related villains). Bob Gale, who wrote one of my favorite movies of all time, gave us that drug fueled villain, Freak was it? No reason to bring back Harry. Forcing Carlie down our throats, who seemed clearly meant to be Gwen whose return was vetoed. Pete being reduced to a loser slacker that he never was even when high school. In the MU, Norman Osborn was leading his Dark Reign. It was a perfect opportunity to bring Pete/Spidey to the forefront of Marvel. But because of BND, they wanted to keep Pete in his corner and develop his new status quo. Jackpot being teased as MJ. MJ being involved with that actor made me ill, because in my mind she was still married to Pete (and was hoping Marvel would come to their senses and restore the marriage). Pete had a drunken one night stand, for crying out loud!

OMD is clearly the lowest story point in Spidey comic history, but it was also the start of the the lowest era in Spidey history. It was an agenda to return the character to his roots, but it only threw away years of growth and continuity and original supporting characters.

Yes, to all of this.

If anything, OMD and BND did the opposite of what was intended. And Slott didn't exactly help matters by continuing what was done. He's more interested in shoving 'his' creations down our collective throats than supporting the vast excellent cast that was already created. Going so far as to call Peter and MJ, anti-Marvel. So what do we get...Carlie Cooper. Yeah, sure :whatever:

Again, I've yet to see these 'great' stories that were supposed to come out of BND. The current run of Spidey is a total mess. I can't believe they are seriously doing yet another Clone story.

Sales should reflect quality and if you look at the recent sales of comics, DC is slaughtering Marvel on a weekly basis. Only CW has made it into the top 10.

I guess we can't agree on everything, Mr. Gnome :oldrazz: So, this is where we butt heads.

I don't deny Slott's encyclopedia-esque knowledge of Spider-Man's lore and continuity and that makes him a fan. The problem with Slott is that he's the wrong type of fan. He has an opinion and if you or someone else disagrees with his opinion, then you're wrong. Because in his mind, his opinion isn't one, it's a fact. I also can't ignore the many, downright awful things he's either said at various cons or on social media. I have liked some of the things that he's done but they are few and far between.

I think in general, we think alike on most things Spidey. :yay:

I do remember when Slott would come on these boards, specifically around BND. I remember him being rather rude and dismissive. It seemed a bit petty for a professional.

Then he took over when with Big Time, I was impressed. Pete started to act like himself, not this loser slacker. He wove various subplots like the good ole days of the 70's and 80's. He was bringing up narrative strings from the old days. It was fun reading again. Also, I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I also like Humberto Ramos' art.

Then I remembered some of his posts. He wasn't always rude, but sometimes got into it with some posters that seemed odd for a professional. I decided he was best to let his work speak for himself instead of arguing on a message board.

But, you do have a point about the social media thing. But I met him once at a Free Comic Book event and was very nice.

I like Ramos too!

I don't think there's a problem with another clone story, I'm just nervous about how it will be handled. Spider-Verse was so, so bad.

And clearly I'm the only person who actually liked much (not all) of BND? Damn lol.

Brian Bendis sucked at writing Spider-Man in these events, and made him a useless idiot most of the time, even pre-BND.

That was a separate issue, but yeah there was that. What I was referring to was with Norman being the Big Bad of Marvel, it could be Spidey's time to shine and lead the charge to stop Osborn. But, no, they were isolating him in his own corner of Marvel to develop the awful status quo of awful new villains and awful new supporting cast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"