Patty Jenkins Confirmed to Direct Thor 2

Raiden

Wakanda Forever
Reaction score
Marvel Studios announced today that Patty Jenkins will direct Thor 2, which will be released in theatres on Friday, November 15, 2013. Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman will return to star in the film along with Tom Hiddleston. Marvel Studios' Kevin Feige will produce the sequel to this summer's blockbuster Thor, which has grossed over $448 million worldwide to date.

Patty Jenkins previously directed Monster starring Charlize Theron, who won an Academy Award for her performance in the film. Jenkins, who received an Emmy nomination for directing the pilot of AMC's acclaimed series "The Killing," has also directed episodes of "Entourage" and "Arrested Development." Most recently, she directed "Pearl," one of the five short films that comprise Lifetime's original movie "Five."

In addition to Thor 2, Marvel Studios is currently scheduled to release Marvel's The Avengers on May 4, 2012, and Iron Man 3 which is slated for release on May 3, 2013.

Read more about:

I'll take a wait-and-see approach, but unlike Kenneth Branagh I don't feel very confident about this choice. I hope Marvel made the right decision but I feel that there are much better candidates out there.

I admire Marvel taking chances with directors, but this choice definitely raises an eyebrow.

Well, it's certainly an interesting choice. Wait and see, I guess.

Hey Monster was excellent... but I don't know if she's right for Thor. Hmm. I guess we'll find out.

I'm all for it. I love when directors do something that's different. Hopefully its because Marvel saw something in her that makes her suited and not so they can push her around.

Nice choice! And great to know that Hiddleston and Portman are back!

Not too shabby. Personally I hope she brings Enchantress on for the sequel. I want to see how they do her.

Giggity. :o

Didn't Chris Hemmsworth give some reassuring words about what he thought of her capabilities of being the director for this film?

He might've but what else would he have said?

Branagh said some thing about Patty?? or about Chris? Man... *listens to the Thor soundtrack* I'm a little excited... :) that there will be a Thor 2! Coming! yayness! :D

Branagh said some thing about Patty?? or about Chris? Man... *listens to the Thor soundtrack* I'm a little excited... :) that there will be a Thor 2! Coming! yayness! :D

About Patty. :)

He said:

Monster was, I think, an absolutely sensational film. I think that she’s a great talent. As a possibility in the mix, I think that’s a tremendous idea.

About Patty. :)

He said:

Monster was, I think, an absolutely sensational film. I think that she’s a great talent. As a possibility in the mix, I think that’s a tremendous idea.

Cool cool. I remember Chris commenting on Patty too but I forget what he said exactly.

Like I said before, the only thing I'm worried about his ability to do action scenes.

She's already proven that she can get fantastic performances out of her actors and she handles drama very well.

I'm just still glad that we're getting the treat of seeing Thor for not two, but THREE freaking straight years in a row. Hell, it's almost like a trilogy in a way since it was the events of "Thor" that ended up imho, having the most impact leading into the Avengers itself.

I'm so glad everyone's being so positive here! I'm also so glad Marvel is taking a chance. One of my major problems with the first Thor film is it felt too safe. It didn't take many chances and it just followed the rules. I'm sure Patty will take it to the next level and make an incredible Thor film!

Why is everyone so glum here? I thought it was established that Kenneth Branaugh was going to be an executive producer on the sequel. I don't think he'd allow the quality to slip.

Anyways, considering the movie Monster is a character study of a real life person, Aileen Wuornos, who suffered a life of abuse and neglect which lead her to do some pretty violent acts, I'm pretty confident that we might see a lot of the plot dealing with Loki's continued descent into darkness with perhaps a drop of redemption at the end. I think they chose the right person to help guide that aspect of Loki's character in the sequel.

Last edited:
It's an interesting choice. I'm not sure what to think of it, but she is an accomplished director. I hope that the deep character driven story from the first film is continued in this. As someone said, Marvel is taking chances and that's good. They've yet to make a bad film, so I'm going to trust Feige and company.

That's the spirit. I'm confident she can take Thor to the next level.

2 thumbs up to Marvel for thinking outside the box, looking forward to more info on this.

She's quite good at handling drama, and knows how to get the best performances out of her actors. See Monster and the episode of The Killing that she directed. Obviously her lack of experience with action scenes raises an eyebrow, but considering her resources I wouldn't be too particularly worried about that.

I'd say this is a solid pick-up :up:.

She's quite good at handling drama, and knows how to get the best performances out of her actors. See Monster and the episode of The Killing that she directed. Obviously her lack of experience with action scenes raises an eyebrow, but considering her resources I wouldn't be too particularly worried about that.

I'd say this is a solid pick-up :up:.

Pretty much the same thing I said, I hope she's a quick study with action scenes because I was hoping for Thor 2 to have mind blowing fights.

I'm sure she'll get lots of help with the action. Isn't there a crew for that??

Did Kenneth Branaugh get help with THOR's action?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"