Patty Jenkins Confirmed to Direct Thor 2

I don't really get the "you need an action director" idea. I mean, action is pretty easy to work out. It takes a director of great skill to get a great performance and tell a great story. The action just sort of sorts itself out usually because of the writers.

Patty seems to me to be the sort of director who really gets how to tell a story so everythings is just dandy :yay:

Actually IMHO action is pretty hard to do well. It takes skill to direct action scenes and make them engrossing, exhilarating, and keep you on the 'edge of your seat'. This is one of the reasons Avatar did well despite it's 'been there done that' plot; the action was very well done; James cameron knows how to do action.

'Action movies' are sort of scorned in Hollywood now, falsely as 'low brow', which is why there are few modern directors who can do action well.

Branagh did some good action scenes in THOR (the Jotunheim sequence stands out), probably with some help. but you can tell he's not yet the best at it. It was the same thing with Bryan Singer in the X-men movies; ok on the first one and by the time he came back for the sequel he was much better at it. If Branagh were to come back for THOR 3 I would suspect the same thing would happen.

I'm very happy to give this lady a chance and see what she can do. She is probably not going to inherently be the best at action but MARVEL STUDIOS will make sure she will have the right support to get it right.

I think if she works along with her fight choreographer she'll do pretty good with the action scenes. The director doesn't plan everything in a movie. She/he has people around him/her that are more specialized in certain areas to help them out with aspects of a blockbuster movie they're not well acquainted with orchestrating. Have faith my brothers and sisters!

Avengers but now that you mentioned 2013, yeah is it 2013 yet??

I'm not gonna lie, I would've more comfortable with Kirk direction Thor but Jenkins is still a fine choice.

My concern with her is that the action will suffer - a second unit director will take charge and will make the action sequences somewhat generic...

This is a wait and see situation, since the same could've been said about Branagh. He never been known by his 'action scenes'.

If she takes a look at the comics and/or has someone competent to clue her into some of Thor's more iconic moves, she should be fine. All Branagh really had to do to impress me in the first movie was show Thor spinning his hammer and bashing the hell out of giants with it. Flying through the giant frosty beast's head put him over the top into awesome territory. If Jenkins can manage a few iconic scenes like that, she'll be good.

If she takes a look at the comics and/or has someone competent to clue her into some of Thor's more iconic moves, she should be fine. All Branagh really had to do to impress me in the first movie was show Thor spinning his hammer and bashing the hell out of giants with it. Flying through the giant frosty beast's head put him over the top into awesome territory. If Jenkins can manage a few iconic scenes like that, she'll be good.

Yeah, as for as action all I ask for is improved hand to hand battles, a few feats of strength, and Thor using lightning attacks far more often.

All this combined with more of those cool hammer moves Thor used in the Frost Giant battle as well as having longer/more numerous flight scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"