Plastic Man: The Movie

There's no reason Plastic Man has to be a complete comedy. It can be a funny, fun movie and still have serious themes and moments in it.

Well then the villain should be serious, Plastic man should be silly, but the circumstance shouldn't, so Winks shouldn't be the villain as was suggested before. I mean a serious villain can at least play straight man to the goofy Plastic man.

Really like Ben Schwartz pitch. Basically he's a thief, get's powers, but stay's as a thief instead of becoming a hero. I'm guessing he'll be a criminal with a heart of gold. Modern day Robin Hood. Probably some heist elements like the first Ant-man.

He seems really passionate about it, and would be perfect for the role imo. However with the current random state of the DCEU, he probably has a better chance of making it a streaming show, which wouldn't be a bad thing considering the quality of tv nowadays.

Plastic Man could end up being too silly. A superhero film in the vein of Mask isn't something I wanna see. There's a risk it could be even more campy than Shazam.
Why should stretching powers only equal with fun? Why can't it be treated more seriously?

Could you imagine a stretching superhero closer to Nolans Batman? Would it work?

For all its faults, I quite liked the more borderline homicidal Plastic Man of Frank Miller's TDKSA. Perhaps adapting it into a violent, hyper-stylised horror comedy would be a direction to go. I remember that Batman has a line about how if Plastic Man ever went rogue, 'absolutely no one would be safe'.

I'm still a fan of the more lighthearted characterisation that he's better known for, but I also think that Miller really built him up into being a truly dangerous opponent who was only just able to control his mania. I'd be very intrigued to see that iteration of the character be brought to the big screen.

Bruce Wayne: That Miller version sounds very interesting. Maybe they can use a little of that.

What would you think about an Elongated Man film then?

Plastic Man could end up being too silly. A superhero film in the vein of Mask isn't something I wanna see. There's a risk it could be even more campy than Shazam.
Why should stretching powers only equal with fun? Why can't it be treated more seriously?

Could you imagine a stretching superhero closer to Nolans Batman? Would it work?
That's why I suggested a streaming show as I believe there's more freedom to play with serious themes. I'd hate for it to be a full on slap stick comedy. There still room for humor in a dramatic superhero film. Tonally it could be more like Ocean 11 instead of Shazam.

I would love to see a how Plastic man would work in Titans or Doom Patrol.

For all its faults, I quite liked the more borderline homicidal Plastic Man of Frank Miller's TDKSA. Perhaps adapting it into a violent, hyper-stylised horror comedy would be a direction to go. I remember that Batman has a line about how if Plastic Man ever went rogue, 'absolutely no one would be safe'.

I'm still a fan of the more lighthearted characterisation that he's better known for, but I also think that Miller really built him up into being a truly dangerous opponent who was only just able to control his mania. I'd be very intrigued to see that iteration of the character be brought to the big screen.
Yea I think you could get a balance of slapstick and drama. Maybe hinting at a dark side but keep the right amount of levity.

Doom Patrol tackles drama and dark comedy well. I think it's a great tonal match.

Why would Plastic Man be serious? The character has always been goofy and lighthearted. If you want a serious superhero with stretch powers, there are plenty to choose from. But I think the only way to do a Plastic Man movie is to go all out with the insanity.

Ok, then I want an Elongated Man film. Without the dorky elements from Arrowverse. It appears like the character is written as a combination of Elongated and Plastic there

Ok, then I want an Elongated Man film. Without the dorky elements from Arrowverse. It appears like the character is written as a combination of Elongated and Plastic there

Speaking of Elongated man, would it be redundant to have Elongated Man as an antagonist to Plastic Man?

There's nothing more cliche than having a hero battle the evil copy of them (Ironman vs Ironmoger, Black Panther vs Kill monger etc), but it's hard to ignore the fact that one guy is a thief and the other guy is a detective.

That combination has perfect built in conflict.
It would be like Hanks vs Dicaprio in Catch me if you can. :D
71c4UezsAFL._AC_SY445_.jpg

One other advantage for a show over a movie is you don't have to wait years to get it in production and released.

A lot less studio politics a bureaucracy to get through. Even if Plastic man is released and is a huge hit, we'll have to wait at least 2 years for the sequel (For context Aquaman made a billion and the sequel is scheduled to come out 4 years later!).

In that time you could get 2-3 seasons of great tv. And I'm not talking about that cheap CW stuff (That I enjoy btw). For example, In 3 years we've had 3 great season of event viewing tv from Westworld.

There's no reason Plastic man couldn't have even better production values on a tv budget.

Speaking of Elongated man, would it be redundant to have Elongated Man as an antagonist to Plastic Man?
Interesting idea. I was about to suggest the same myself.
Then we could have the serious and the wacky at the same time.

Which one of them should have their powers first inside this film's universe? My vote goes to Elongated. Then Plastic steals his serum in order to fight the almost invincible hero detective, but uses too much of it and get this crazy powers.

The question is, who should win? The good guy or the villain (since he's the more well-known character)?

Last edited:
The question is, who should win? The good guy or the villain (since he's the more well-known character)?
It would probably end like the first Fast and Furious with Brian letting Dom go free.

Mutual respect turns into friendship when Plastic Man turns good.

That being said I'd prefer for Plastic man to not have a villain with the same skill set as him.
If the play up to Plastic man being a "villain" then the antagonist could very well be any hero. The Question, Mr Terrific, maybe even the Birds of Prey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"