The Amazing Spider-Man "Positive Talk" TASM

I just hope it's not like in SM3 where he was taking off his mask in pretty much every scene.

You guys are setting yourself up for sadness if you don't think Spidey will unmask 2 or 3 times or more...especially in very dramatic or emotional scenes. Garfield can't emote in a mask.

You guys are setting yourself up for sadness if you don't think Spidey will unmask 2 or 3 times or more...especially in very dramatic or emotional scenes. Garfield can't emote in a mask.

Agreed.

Maybe it's the only way to get through to Connors...? Maybe the Lizard's about to kill somebody or something (Remember the "Doctor Connors, stop it right now, this isn't you!" line from the SDCC footage)

I don't think it'd be that much of an issue if he takes his mask off outside in the city. New York's huge. I doubt anybody would even recognize Peter if they saw him. And considering what's going on, I doubt they wanna get close to the Lizard to get a better look at the situation. :funny:
I agree and I have said the same thing about SM2 train scene people have *****ed about on here. It's not like Superman obvious with Clark at Daily Bugle. Randos don't know who Peter is and they aren't going to try and take a pic of Spidey with a giant Lizard clawing their face off.

I have no problem with him unmasking for a purpose. In SM3 he seemed to be unmasking just for the hell of it. So annoying. He did unmask in SM2 several times but each one had some weight in purpose to it and that's all good.

You know what this just made me think? Imagine them showing half face half mask in one of the sequels, or even here

True... and I wouldn't have it any other way!
icon14.gif

This made me start to think of movies where I have seen emoting come from an actor whilst wearing a mask. The first one was from none other than Darth Vader. Yup. At the end of Return of the Jedi when the Emperor is blasting Luke with bolts of electricity it shows Darth looking back and forth from the Emperor to Luke. Although there were no words spoken (the new Bluray ruined this---thanks Lucas, you dirtbag) you can see the emotional conflict going on in Vader's mind. It was very poetic. He was crossed between his leader, mentor and watching his only son being burned to death. The body language coming from Vader at that point was deafening. His inner conflict was painted on his mask.

I believe that with good acting and proper direction it is very possible to show true emotions without seeing someone's face.

Last edited:
This made me start to think of movies where I have seen emoting come from an actor whilst wearing a mask. The first one was from none other than Darth Vader. Yup. At the end of Return of the Jedi when the Emperor is blasting Luke with bolts of electricity it shows Darth looking back and forth from the Emperor to Luke. Although there were no words spoken (the new Bluray ruined this---thanks Lucas, you dirtbag) you can see the emotional conflict going on in Vader's mind. It was very poetic. He was crossed between his leader, mentor and watching his only son being burned to death. The body language coming from Vader at that point was deafening. His inner conflict was painted on his mask.

I believe that with good acting and proper direction it is very possible to show true emotions without seeing someone's face.

darth vader isn't a good example because even though he is argubly the greatest villian ever, his words, actions are gestures are pretty broad and sweeping and not subtle and nuanced like garfield would have to be to sell a dramatic moment.

take iron man for example, when the actions are broad they show the mask from the outside, whenever emotion is needed they show tony's face inside the helmet.

Garfield outside of the mask will happen. Its guaranteed. I don't have an issue with it so long as its done sparingly and in good taste.

That being said, we can have a "positive talk" thread but not a "negative talk/given up" thread?

darth vader isn't a good example because even though he is argubly the greatest villian ever, his words, actions are gestures are pretty broad and sweeping and not subtle and nuanced like garfield would have to be to sell a dramatic moment.

take iron man for example, when the actions are broad they show the mask from the outside, whenever emotion is needed they show tony's face inside the helmet.

Body language can be a very powerful tool and convey more than words.

Garfield outside of the mask will happen. Its guaranteed. I don't have an issue with it so long as its done sparingly and in good taste.

That being said, we can have a "positive talk" thread but not a "negative talk/given up" thread?

As we've seen in photos his mask is off so it's mostly certain that it will happen. I agree though that it is not necessarily a bad thing if, as I've said before, it's done with purpose.

Body language can be a very powerful tool and convey more than words.
Yup. I seem to recall reading way back when how Tobey trained with a mime in order to gain better use of his body language. While feel like the end result wasn't the greatest, perhaps since this spidey is more outspoken, we will see more than just a bobbing head, lol.

Positive talk:

I think The Avengers, The Amazing Spider-Man, and The Dark Knight Rises all look outstanding.

Rises might disappoint some people because of just how enormous the expectations are, but Spider-Man has the most to prove and is the one people are most skeptical about. And so was I.

But I love the cast, I think the costume looks outstanding, I love everything I've heard about the stunts, but especially Andrew Garfield. Sam and Tobey got me into comics, but I think Andrew Garfield is about to prove himself a worthy movie star to mainstream audiences.

Positive talk:

I think The Avengers, The Amazing Spider-Man, and The Dark Knight Rises all look outstanding.

Rises might disappoint some people because of just how enormous the expectations are, but Spider-Man has the most to prove and is the one people are most skeptical about. And so was I.

But I love the cast, I think the costume looks outstanding, I love everything I've heard about the stunts, but especially Andrew Garfield. Sam and Tobey got me into comics, but I think Andrew Garfield is about to prove himself a worthy movie star to mainstream audiences.

Agreed and same here.

Agreed.

positive talk;

they have hired a character actor for peter rather some hot guy (i.e. efron) or a big name (robert patterson(sp)

they have hired a director who got great performances out of his cast in 500 days than a big director who may be more concerned with style than plot.

they are using true 3D cameras not post converted rubbish

they have gone with lizard, my second favorite spidey villian (after doc ock).
alright, I'm a little concerned he is in the origin movie which will focus on gwen and peter and lizard has a complex backstory (would have been better left for a sequel) but then again after the sony 'we need a human face' comment with regards to spidey villians I guess we're lucky to see him at all.

they are trying to use as many practical effects as possible. the more real spidey feels the more engaged you'll be rather than getting pulled out the movie because spidey looks too CG.

I wouldn't call Robert Pattinson a big name. I think he's a good actor who made a terrible career choice (in terms of being taken seriously as an actor), but his other movies bombed and I don't think he would have ever been Spider-man.

Positive talk:

My expectations for TDKR have been met from what I've been hearing about Bane, Catwoman and the entire story of the film so far, so I won't be complaining.

The Amazing Spider-Man, however, can still disappoint me because I haven't heard anything new about the film recently. Love the suit waist up and I love that Lizard is the villain, but the film could still let me down if they do plan on taking too much time on some elements that Raimi already used, such as Uncle Ben's death. I hope the story about his parents is a great one though and doesn't slow the movie down.

The Avengers...I don't have any expectations for that simply because I was never an Avengers fan...so I just want to see if that movie is good, period. But, I don't think it'll be better than TDKR or TAS-M, imo. Too many characters could kill the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"