Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

I'm just downloaded the gameplay doc on xbox live. Good to see a pleasing return to the Sand of Time scene. Warrior Within was a personal favourite of mine and easily on top of all the things that make action adventure games so good.

In regards to the new Prince's face, I was a little uneven at first, but his face and whole look is vey quickly growing on me. The combat seems like action again instead of a puzzle battle, and the detail is brilliant.

Also noticed the element abilities, which look like another reason to fall in love with this series all over again.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/24/pop-the-forgotten-sands-getting-new-mode-with-gamestop-pre-orde/

Let's face it, buying a game is just too simple. You don't want to just walk into any store and know that you'll get the same game you would get somewhere else. No, you crave complication. Sensing this innate need, Ubisoft has announced, via the Prince of Persia Facebook page, that those who pre-order Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands from GameStop will receive an exclusive new game mode. The offer, incidentally, applies only to the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions, so PC and Wii gamers are out of luck.

The bonus mode is entitled Forgotten Arena and tasks players with defeating "waves of relentless enemies" in classic survival mode style. There is no time limit, killed enemies will regenerate health and the number of enemies increases over time. The description also notes that players who can defeat 100 enemies "may have what it takes to become a real Prince of Persia," though it's unclear if doing so will unlock any actual rewards or any actual royalty.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/26/hands-on-prince-of-persia-the-forgotten-sands-360/

Regardless of how you felt about Ubisoft's 2008 Prince of Persia, it represented a clear departure from the acclaimed Sands of Time trilogy -- an experiment, even. And although, on a granular level, The Forgotten Sands modifies the formula through the addition of elemental powers, they primarily strengthen the game's familiar basis of linear platforming mixed with light combat.

It's a solid basis and one that Ubisoft clearly believes to be worth pursuing again this May (especially with movie buzz in the air), but it hasn't been swept clean of old problems. Even in the short snippet of gameplay on show at PAX East, the combat feels like filler. It's competent -- and the Prince's agility adds an exciting flourish to every strike and finishing blow -- but it never feels complex enough to stand out as anything more than "that thing you do between platforming segments." That's a problem Prince of Persia often shares with Tomb Raider.

Elemental powers enhance your attacks or allow you to summon a spectacular, screen-clearing vortex, but you're still dealing with a mundane two-button attack system and an evasive maneuver. Already, the duels of 2008's game or the stealth kills of The Two Thrones seem like more interesting attempts to solve the franchise's fighting ennui.

That leaves the platforming, which does see an increase in difficulty in The Forgotten Sands. The controls mirror those of Sands of Time, with the exception of the left trigger's function. Now, the left trigger activates an instant freeze effect within the environment, which transforms waterfalls into icy walls and streams of water into poles or pillars. The effect -- one of several elemental modifiers, Ubisoft says -- is only enabled for as long as you hold down the trigger (or until your magic gauge is empty). That introduces a new, timed layer of finger gymnastics on top of the usual wallrunning, swinging and jumping, and ill-timed freezes could leave you grabbing at rain or slamming into a wall of ice when you intended to burst through a sheet of soft water. Thankfully, you can still count on time rewind to save your Persian behind.

It seems you can count on Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands to deliver a comforting update to the Sands of Time trilogy, which might be exactly what you wanted in the first place. If not, the feeling of familiarity, and of Ubisoft Montreal playing it uncharacteristically safe, can be hard to elude -- even for a fleet-of-foot charmer.

I enjoyed the '08 PoP for the most part, but I'm definitely more excited about this than I was about that.

Minor nitpick: Does anyone else hate the Prince's new face? He just looks... ugly. I liked the slightly foppish-looking, aristocratic Prince of The Sands of Time. Now he looks more like the typical, square-jawed video game hero.

I enjoyed the '08 PoP for the most part, but I'm definitely more excited about this than I was about that.

Minor nitpick: Does anyone else hate the Prince's new face? He just looks... ugly. I liked the slightly foppish-looking, aristocratic Prince of The Sands of Time. Now he looks more like the typical, square-jawed video game hero.

Yea, im not crazy about the look of the Prince either. Like you said, he just looks kind of odd.

As for PoP 08, i didnt hate it, i enjoyed it for what it was, but that game wasnt nearly as fun as any of the previous 3 Prince titles. They should of just continued the SoT trilogy in the first place.

The only things that really bugged me about the '08 PoP were the Prince's annoying personality, the automation of a lot of the power effects, and the one-on-one, quicktime-heavy battles. I prefer bouncing back and forth between a bunch of enemies.

I did really like Elika, though. It'd be cool if we could get the SoT Prince teamed with Elika, since Farah never really captured my interest.

The only things that really bugged me about the '08 PoP were the Prince's annoying personality, the automation of a lot of the power effects, and the one-on-one, quicktime-heavy battles. I prefer bouncing back and forth between a bunch of enemies.

I did really like Elika, though. It'd be cool if we could get the SoT Prince teamed with Elika, since Farah never really captured my interest.

The automation of just about everything killed it for me. That and the fact it was just, collect light seeds, fight ONE enemy, fight boss which cant really kill you, the end.

In fairness, the boss was pretty awesome. I liked how they incorporated a lot of acrobatics into the final boss fight. I hate it when a game is built around a certain set of core mechanics and then abandons them completely for its final fight (Assassin's Creed, I'm looking at you :o).

That was great! Looks like they're re-rendering the Prince's face for the closeups. Good move! Also, the animation seems to be a nice blend of realism and some cell-shading. Looks good :up:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/04/13/prince-of-persia-the-forgotten-sands-pre-order-freebies/

Ubisoft has announced a fairly comprehensive roundup of the free junk you'll get from pre-ordering Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands from various American retailers. We say "fairly comprehensive" because only the bonuses associated with the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game have been covered.

Pre-ordering Forgotten Sands from GameStop will earn you the previously revealed "Forgotten Arena" gameplay mode. An Amazon pre-order will be $5 off and come with a free Prince of Persia mobile game. And Best Buy pre-orders will include a downloadable "SandWraith" character skin based on the Prince's transformation in Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.

Ubisoft appears to have mistimed its jump with this announcement, however, as these offers have yet to appear on the Amazon or Best Buy product pages. Luckily, the company has possession of the Dagger of Time. Any second now ...

I'm actually big fan of the 08 game and I hope that it's storyline is completed.

Why? I actually liked it.

It pretty much took away everything that made the Sands of Time trilogy good. The game felt as tho it was almost on rails. I mean i had fun with the game, but not the way i did with the SoT trilogy.

Would this be a good game for someone who's never played a Prince of Persia game? Or should I go back and play the Sands of Time game first?

Would this be a good game for someone who's never played a Prince of Persia game? Or should I go back and play the Sands of Time game first?

Im sure they'll catch you up, but if i were you id go back and play the Sands of Time just because its a good game. I might end up doing the same before this title comes out.

This game just seems like a massive step backwards for me... Don't get me wrong, I loved the original Sands of Time, but I just don't think it will hold the same way it did back when it first came out. Sure they're going back to a style everyone loves, but beyond that, it doesn't look like they've added to or developed the concept at all... Surely a cross between the 08 Pop game and the Sands of Time would have made a much better concept. The combat looks atrocius, the character model looks horrible, and a shameless tie in for the movie. I'm just not intrigued by this game at all. It looks like the acrobatics and environments will be good, but they've always been good in the POP games, so it's hardly an achievement.

A disappointing step for Ubisoft, who have recently shown they're quite good at improving or expanding on a franchise.

This game just seems like a massive step backwards for me... Don't get me wrong, I loved the original Sands of Time, but I just don't think it will hold the same way it did back when it first came out. Sure they're going back to a style everyone loves, but beyond that, it doesn't look like they've added to or developed the concept at all... Surely a cross between the 08 Pop game and the Sands of Time would have made a much better concept. The combat looks atrocius, the character model looks horrible, and a shameless tie in for the movie. I'm just not intrigued by this game at all. It looks like the acrobatics and environments will be good, but they've always been good in the POP games, so it's hardly an achievement.

A disappointing step for Ubisoft, who have recently shown they're quite good at improving or expanding on a franchise.
I wouldnt say its a step backwards but I really hate that they didnt expand upon the new series. They should have moved forward with that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"