Problem with Marvel Studios....

Still A ThorFan

Sidekick
Reaction score
I feel a big problem with Marvel (besides FOX) is that they don't base their movies on actual storylines from their respected comics.

I think and feel if they did this a majortity of the films would be some what better. I mean it is clear that the films are more for the general public than they are for us.

Look how mixed up Spider-Man is, The FF4, and Dare Devil. The writers come up with their own form of the character's origins and we get the messes we see today.

I agree. When has Spider-Man ever been caught up in such a huge love triangle that took away most of the action? Or how stupid and lame Doom was? And don't even get me started on the original version of Daredevil.

They need to take plenty of elements from most of their best comics and put it together like how Batman Begins did.

Mr. Socko said:
I agree. When has Spider-Man ever been caught up in such a huge love triangle that took away most of the action? Or how stupid and lame Doom was? And don't even get me started on the original version of Daredevil.

They need to take plenty of elements from most of their best comics and put it together like how Batman Begins did.

With all due respect, dude, but Batman Begins is only a movie based in the MARVEL Formula, why?, because Batman Begins have same elements of MARVEL Movies like the origin of one character, motivations, style of production in present day, for example: Burton`s Gotham City or Shumacher`s Neon City was an unique style of city, now Nolan`s Gotham City was very contemporary to present day, similar to Spidey`s New York City or Daredevil`s city, so what`s the difference between MARVEL Movies like Spidey, Fantastic Four or DareDevil?, if Batman Begins was in same way to these MARVEL Movies.

Is it so hard to have maybe the best or most popular writer of a respected character write the story and screen play for a movie?

I mean look at Namor for instance, the man who wrote Road to Peridition (probably spelled wrong) is supposed to be writing the screen play for that movie. That really doesn't make sense to me at all.

Still A ThorFan said:
I feel a big problem with Marvel (besides FOX) is that they don't base their movies on actual storylines from their respected comics.

I think and feel if they did this a majortity of the films would be some what better. I mean it is clear that the films are more for the general public than they are for us.

Look how mixed up Spider-Man is, The FF4, and Dare Devil. The writers come up with their own form of the character's origins and we get the messes we see today.

As long as the character is faithful to the comics like Spider-Man, Daredevil, and the Fantastic Four (excluding Dr. Doom) it's all good. I like original stories. There are only a few things that should be word for word adaptations such as the Watchmen, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Sin City, etc.

Also we can't judge Marvel Studios yet because they haven't made a movie yet. New Line Cinema, Universal Studios, Columbia Tri-Star, 20th Century Fox, and Lion Gate Films are the ones who have made films so far.

I would rather have new stories in the movies rather then stories we have seen before cus after awhile it will get boring.

I disagree, the Spider-man films have always had a solid base in the comics. Some of the shots on screen are lifted right off the page of the comics.

If what you want is a literal translation of the comic that won't happen and it can't, and that's a mute argument, because the Superman and Batman films didn't do that either.

Still A ThorFan said:
Is it so hard to have maybe the best or most popular writer of a respected character write the story and screen play for a movie?

/QUOTE]
1-according to whom? Should Stan Lee or Brian Bendis write them all? Should they try to get Todd McFarlane for the people who still like him?
2-many of them aren't interested, don't have time, and/or aren't even approached.
3-writing comics & writing movies ain't the same thing. I'm betting many fans of "Dark Knight Returns" & "Man Without Fear" HATED "Robocop 2 & 3". Just b/c you're good at one doesn't mean you'll do well w/the other.
4-going back to what Tony Stark said, I'd rather have a basically faithful adaptation than a literal translation. Much as some of us wanna think otherwise, you can't put everything on the page on the screen.

Chris Wallace said:
3-writing comics & writing movies ain't the same thing. I'm betting many fans of "Dark Knight Returns" & "Man Without Fear" HATED "Robocop 2 & 3". Just b/c you're good at one doesn't mean you'll do well w/the other.

In Frank Miller's defense, he has said that his Robocop scripts were heavily edited/re-written/butchered.

Firstly all of the Marvel movies have had parts of their storyline taken from the comics. The first 30 minutes of Spider-Man 1 was taken directly from the comics; Spider-Man 2 had the Spider-Man No More storyline; in Daredevil there's several scenes ripped right out of the pages of Frank Miller's Man Without Fear, etc.

Secondly, no superhero film made so far has been entirely based on the comics. It's arguable it's impossible due to how different a medium comics are, how many there are to adapt, and how a lot of them (the original comics from the 60s, etc.) are too outdated to bring directly to the screen.

Lastly, I don't really care if the Marvel movies, or any superhero movies, are 100% accurate. What I care about is having a good movie made, and remaining true to the characters. And most of the best superhero films (Batman, Superman, Spider-Man) do exactly that, IMO.

Your post reminds me of some of the complaints I read about "V For Vendetta"; many complained about its inaccuracy & the liberties taken by the filmmakers. But the book was written in the 80's & set in the 90's, which have come & gone.
Likewise w/the Spider-Man films; Amazing Fantasy was written in 1962 & had radioactive rays being blasted out in the open. Some things just don't work on film. And like you said, no superhero movie has followed the comic to the letter. And it shouldn't.

HighVoltage said:
With all due respect, dude, but Batman Begins is only a movie based in the MARVEL Formula, why?, because Batman Begins have same elements of MARVEL Movies like the origin of one character, motivations, style of production in present day, for example: Burton`s Gotham City or Shumacher`s Neon City was an unique style of city, now Nolan`s Gotham City was very contemporary to present day, similar to Spidey`s New York City or Daredevil`s city, so what`s the difference between MARVEL Movies like Spidey, Fantastic Four or DareDevil?, if Batman Begins was in same way to these MARVEL Movies.

You Do realize the marvel formula is basically the superman the movie formula right?

Think before you type.

I'd rather see a movie with an original plot, with some plotlines taken from the comics. I'd like to see characters with personas faithful to their comics. It seems so far with the marvel flicks, only the X-films and spidey-films have gotten close to this, and even they have their flaws.

Marvel movies can sell just as many tickets by following the books more....

The Batman said:
You Do realize the marvel formula is basically the superman the movie formula right?

Think before you type.

Oh yeah I almost forgot that one, hey which girl and guy are the "Miss Tessmacher and Otis" (ugghh) versions for Spidey Films or DareDevil Movie?, Green Goblin is a rip-off of Lex Luthor?, Spidey fought with 3 villians with Spider-powers, a little green rock from another planet is the main weakness for the Fantastic Four?, I did`nt see when Doc Ock was saying;"Kneel before Octopus, Kneel before Octopus".

The Batman said:
I disagree; the Marvel movies flesh out ALL of the characters, not just one.

Well, when both Sam Raimi and Bryan Singer say STM was a major influenece when they made Spider-Man 1 and X1, Most origin movies have the origin in the first hour, like STM, has their archenemy in the first movie, like STM, has a realistic universe, like STM, and has the hero stopping the villains big plot, like STM, sounds like using the STM formula to me. But then again, its not like you guys would EVER give STM its props, but Batman Begins can rip off Marvel Movies. Even though Nolan said they too...used the formula from STM.

:rolleyes:

Chris Wallace said:
I disagree; the Marvel movies flesh out ALL of the characters, not just one.

I also disagree. :down

The Batman said:
Well, when both Sam Raimi and Bryan Singer say STM was a major influenece when they made Spider-Man 1 and X1, Most origin movies have the origin in the first hour, like STM, has their archenemy in the first movie, like STM, has a realistic universe, like STM, and has the hero stopping the villains big plot, like STM, sounds like using the STM formula to me. But then again, its not like you guys would EVER give STM its props, but Batman Begins can rip off Marvel Movies. Even though Nolan said they too...used the formula from STM.

:rolleyes:

Do you even have proof Nolan said that when filming Begins? NO, didn't think so.

Iron Man™ said:
Do you even have proof Nolan said that when filming Begins? NO, didn't think so.

Sigh. Newbies.

From that point, there seemed to be an endless stream of casting coups. "The casting was a very organic process," delights Thomas. "We started with Christian and we went from there. The next person was Michael (Caine) as Alfred. All of the cast we got were right for the role regardless of their nationality." Indeed, but incredibly rare that such a top-notch cast should be attracted to a comic-book movie. "There was a combination of Chris Nolan directing this really great script, the casting of Christian really set the tone for what this film was going to be and I think that was something that was attractive to a lot of these actors and it’s really cool to be in a Batman movie," Thomas explains. "One of the things that Chris always wanted to do with this that he talked to the studio very early on was to cast the film in the way that the ’78 SUPERMAN film was cast. That was a group of really amazing, experienced actors doing fairly small roles although they were very important and that was something that Chris really wanted to do as well."

From http://batman-on-film.com/setreport1.html.

Looks like they used superman's formula right there.

Also, anoth part of the STM formula was looking for talented, unknown actors...which, most comic films today do...or are you guys gonna say thats not true too?

Iron Man™ said:

Sigh. Newbies.

From that point, there seemed to be an endless stream of casting coups. "The casting was a very organic process," delights Thomas. "We started with Christian and we went from there. The next person was Michael (Caine) as Alfred. All of the cast we got were right for the role regardless of their nationality." Indeed, but incredibly rare that such a top-notch cast should be attracted to a comic-book movie. "There was a combination of Chris Nolan directing this really great script, the casting of Christian really set the tone for what this film was going to be and I think that was something that was attractive to a lot of these actors and it’s really cool to be in a Batman movie," Thomas explains. "One of the things that Chris always wanted to do with this that he talked to the studio very early on was to cast the film in the way that the ’78 SUPERMAN film was cast. That was a group of really amazing, experienced actors doing fairly small roles although they were very important and that was something that Chris really wanted to do as well."

Also, another part of the STM formula was looking for talented, unknown actors...which, most comic films today do...or are you guys gonna say thats not true too?

The Batman said:
Sigh. Newbies.

Also, anoth part of the STM formula was looking for talented, unknown actors...which, most comic films today do...or are you guys gonna say thats not true too?

Dude, what's your problem? so what if i'm a newbie, but you don't have to act like a *******. I was just asking a question, troll. :up:

"No, Didnt think so".

There was no need for that comment at the end. My point is, is that ALL Comic movies since 1978 has used the STM formula. This is not about DC movies or marvel movies like some of you will try to bring up. Saying BB ripped off Marvel Movies when Marvel movies already ripped off STM is quite odd.

Okay-I never accused anyone of ripping off anybody. And I don't think anyone OWNS the "formula" that most comic book movies follow; introduce the hero, show what caused him to become the hero, introduce the villain, show what caused him to become the villain, establish the conflict, resolve the conflict. How else are you gonna do most of them? There are obvious exceptions, like "Blade", (In which the hero & villain started their conflict a long time ago) "X-Men" (Ditto) & the previous Batman series, (In which the main focus was the villain & we never really got to know Batman at all) but for the most part, you have to do it that way. Audiences need a reason why grown men run around in colorful tights or skin-tight rubber. Someone like Spider-Man needs an origin story b/c much of his appeal lies in how he started out. That's simply the way to do it. I don't attribute any of this to Superman because it didn't follow that formula. They introduced the hero, spent the majority of the film developing him, & gave him a flimsy supporting cast & a caricature of a villain. The only reason why this movie is even on my DVD shelf is Christopher Reeve. His performance was superb. He embodied the Man of Steel in a way that no actor ever had before or since. But the rest, you got Brando & Hackman, who are only there for name recognition. Mind you, Brando didn't even wanna be there, refused to learn his lines but rather read them off of baby Kal-El's diaper(which I guess is why he never learned how to pronounce "Krypton") & really gave a half-@$$ed performance. Hackman was just chewing scenery in a goofy characterization. His plan: an elaborate real-estate scam? And if he truly is "the greatest criminal mind of our time", then why does he need to remind his moronic henchmen every 15 minutes? If he's so smart, why can't he pronounce the word "debris" or "missile"? The Green Goblin went after Spider-Man b/c Spidey got in his way. Luthor decided to kill Superman b/c he was THERE. It's not the same thing. There was no conflict between them until Lex decided there needed to be. Not to mention, how the hell did he discover Kryptonite? Supes never said that Krypton exploded. I don't care how smart you are, you need some point of reference tobase a scientific discovery on. You can't just figure out that something exists, & that it's fatal to one species but not to another. That's bull.
So no, Marvel's films have not used the formula seen here. I hate when Marvel & DC fans egg each other's houses-I really do. But some accusations I cannot abide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"