Prometheus - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely curious. Don't know how much it will help, but I am curious.

Afterall, I fell asleep for about 10 mins watching Kingdom of Heaven in theaters. The Director's Cut is one of my favorite films.

Perhaps, but it is not an uncommon theme in sci-fiction. And I love my sci-fi.

Every time the film gets a little bit interesting and feels like it is going to start speaking to your soul, it falls back on cliched scene and dialogue.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with that statement. It's a shame. I enjoyed the experience over all, but this film feels like it doesn't ever try too hard to take itself and it's themes seriously. A damn shame it is. Here's to hoping the Directors Cut can fix this. If it fixed KOH, it's certainly possible.

So some rumored cut scenes are

Vickers
reflecting on killing Holloway
as mentioned by Charlize Theron in an interview.

Extended Shaw
Engineer confrantation scene

Extended
Fifields rampage

In the Alien universe future we know basketball is still popular atleast because David and Ripley shoot some hoops in Prometheus and Alien Resurrection.

Except in the future it's called basketblerns. Layups are worth 6 blerns, but slam dunks will get you 11 blerns, unless you get called on a 5-blerns penalty.

regwec said:
Great to hear your opinion on the film. I think what you speculate about the Engineers is probably correct, and I am interested to see how it is further explored. I also expect that the question of why these Engineers and the Space Jockey are obviously different species will have to be answered. Are the Jockeys to the Engineers what the Engineers are to us?

The confusing or unsatisfactory elements of the plot didn't concern is themes, in my opinion, but specifically some of the alien tech/fauna. You have to think long and hard to come up with an explanation of why the ooze behaves the way it does. Again, I hope this is addressed in the sequel.
Thanks man. :up:

Just like you I'm curious as to where they'll be taking the story. It's clear that this movie played around with Mesopotamian and Greek mythology a great deal and I usually always enjoy stories that do this. I thought Prometheus did it in a very unique way and it took some bravery from Ridley to give audiences a taste of these elaborate creation myths.

The parallel with existing classical imagery was also great to see:
VvSPe.jpg
9DxC1.jpg
I'm aware that the movie does have its hiccups which has unfortunately deterred some from enjoying the great mythical food for thought the movie tries to convey and deliver to the audience.

Those who came here expecting astute accurate scientific answers I think came knocking misguidedly. This films intention to me at least seemed to be a giant spiral staircase that wanted to challenge the idea that everything is absolute and we can always get an explanation to the unknown.

It's never that simple and in that way it couldn't of been more right in its approach. With that said I think it did answer the question as to why there was this big difference in ideology when it came to life & destruction within the "engineer/space jockey" race if you will. The movie goes out of its way to show the first SJ is druid in appearance with an understanding of self sacrifice while the more recent one that the Prometheus crew encounters to be fearful of death, combative, & almost drone like in mentality.

It's possible that the "engineers" aren't the engineers at all but rather advanced worker ants/organic robots that over time have been tinkered around by their creators to be devoid of emotions and a sense of creativity.

The first SJ we see in the film could be a "defective" model in the sense that it has free will and chooses to be more than a machine with a preset objective and decides to sprout life itself on a whole planet. It's possible that the actual engineers upon finding out about this would want to send a revised model to fix the job as they find the idea of a "robot" creating life to be laughable at best and completely unacceptable.

The giant irony in all of this is that we see Holloway, Weyland, Vickers, & Shaw constantly drilling into Davids head that he's just a robot and is incapable of understand the emotional complexities that we humans have yet the possible truth is that we're the offspring from an advanced form of organic robots engineered by an unknown species. Essentially meaning we're not so different from David at all.

I've probably rambled enough but I just find all those ideas really interesting and fun to explore.

In the Alien universe future we know basketball is still popular atleast because David and Ripley shoot some hoops in Prometheus and Alien Resurrection.
Interesting story behind Ripley playing hoops in A:R, she actually made that behind the back shot in real life, and Ron Perlman's reaction almost ruined the shot.

Yeah there is. I can't post it as Ron Perlman spits some profanity but just look up "Alien 3 basketball scene" on YouTube and you should be able to find it. The cast and crew go over the entire story behind it. A really awesome story actually.

People think there werent' enough questions answered, but we actually did answer questions. And the ones I think weren't answered were the ones to get people discussing, which has always been what Lindelof writes for. Not lazy writing. Whether you like this film or not, there's been a lot of interesting discussion with regards to what happened. Many theories and ideas that's part of the fun of it all, and is doing what Lindelof wanted. I mean why would you want to answer all, if not most questions? This film deals with the beginnings of human beings and fundamental questions, but like in real life, can never have any definitive answer. We, like them are still searching.

People think there werent' enough questions answered, but we actually did answer questions. And the ones I think weren't answered were the ones to get people discussing, which has always been what Lindelof writes for. Not lazy writing. Whether you like this film or not, there's been a lot of interesting discussion with regards to what happened. Many theories and ideas that's part of the fun of it all, and is doing what Lindelof wanted. I mean why would you want to answer all, if not most questions? This film deals with the beginnings of human beings and fundamental questions, but like in real life, can never have any definitive answer. We, like them are still searching.
I especially like how they had the movie mirror real life in that respect.

Interesting story behind Ripley playing hoops in A:R, she actually made that behind the back shot in real life, and Ron Perlman's reaction almost ruined the shot.

Whoa, I just looked up the video on YT. Awesome tidbit.

Forget answers, just less half-baked plot threads and questions. The movie is like Ikki from the Legend of Korra. Rapid fire questions without a hint that they will actually be explored.

Ikki is awesome though. You forgot to mention that part. :p

Then maybe you should've picked a different analogy, no? :o

Interesting if that's the original plot for the film, on the last thread.

That definately sounds a lot more like Alien. But I like a lot more the route they went with it. It's a lot more original and interesting.Much more complex with it's ideas (even when they can be a mess at some point).

I'd definately mix some things from both plots to make it a little more attached to Alien, but I'd mantain the Prometheus themes.

The more I think about it, I think the films flaws make it even more interesting.

Interesting if that's the original plot for the film, on the last thread.

That definately sounds a lot more like Alien. But I like a lot more the route they went with it. It's a lot more original and interesting.Much more complex with it's ideas (even when they can be a mess at some point).

I'd definately mix some things from both plots to make it a little more attached to Alien, but I'd mantain the Prometheus themes.

The more I think about it, I think the films flaws make it even more interesting.

I am curious what you mean by this. The film is filled with cliches in terms of plot and dialogue. And it isn't as if it is put together like say Drive. Where the idea is far from original, but the execution on all ends is stunning.

If you have watched the show, you would understand the analogy.
But you admitted yourself it was inaccurate. :confused:

I totally respect your opinions on the movie, but you really don't have the intangables to pull off the pretentious prick persona. :o

i think he meant original compared to an alien prequel where it would be the same ship,the same space jockey and then ends with eggs.

as a movie its not oroginal. i hope noone thinks that Lindelof and Scott are the first in movies to ask the big questions. '' what if aliens created us ''. David as an android is also not original. and sooooooooooooooo on.

respect if you all like it. its taste. but its not original

and i disagree that an idea and question can be complex. its the easiest part of a conversation or debate. you just a f. ask question. a 5 yr kid can do this. its what you do after that. how do you debate and how you explore. we have a lot philosophers who talk for hours. and they dont asnwer the question that they asked in the first minute. they give their theory,debate ,explore,...... and so on.

Last edited:
What are some other films that delve into the theory of aliens creating us ( not counting documentaries) . I'm just wondering.

What are some other films that delve into the theory of aliens creating us ( not counting documentaries) . I'm just wondering.
where they explore the theme or where its just part of the story that we are connected ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"