Psycho prequel series "Bates Motel"

Holy ****! I had no idea whatsoever Freddie Highmore is playing Norman. That's ****ing bonkers!

Ugh, it's set in the present day, but there's aspects that really make it seem like a period piece,

but you're blown in the face with iPhones, present day music, and teenage girls.
It's gonna be hard to imagine that Psycho took place after all this.

They got everything else EXTREMELY right though.

Their reasoning for not making it period is valid, though. Frankly, I don't find the modern setting all that jarring.

Ugh, it's set in the present day, but there's aspects that really make it seem like a period piece,

but you're blown in the face with iPhones, present day music, and teenage girls.
It's gonna be hard to imagine that Psycho took place after all this.

Psycho isn't canon in anyway. They just lifted the premise to help market the show. At the end of the series it could be Norma who kills Norman.

When it was in development I was hoping it would be like Breaking Bad and we see Norman change from the 1940s and into the 1950s where the series could end with the movie Psycho.

Now well they can do whatever they want. They just have 2 characters, a hotel and a town where messed up stuff can happen.

Basically it's a reboot, call it what it is. Any new tv show or movie that's adapting an older property usually set them in present day. You just go with it.

Ooooh, so it's technically a reboot,
but I still think its pretty pointless to set it in the present, considering they already went out of their way to replicate the house on the hill and the motel to a tiniest details.

This show is awesome 10/10. All the call backs were great. Fantastic undertones. The boat scene for example was heightened dramatically since we all know what happened. I seriously trust these guys in a kick ass series. And a couple of scenes had Hitchcockian horror - before the kitchen scene and in the motel room scene for example. It just seemed more old school classic rather than new horror which I loved about it.

Last edited:
it was alright,i'll give it a 7/10. I had no idea they were gunna go that far with the kitchen scene though.

Definitely gonna follow this. Find Norma and Norman to be interesting characters to follow.

I thought it was a pretty good start. The acting was top of the line in this episode.

For a second there I thought the older brother was just going to be a split personality thing, guess not lol.

And Warren from There's Something About Mary. This does have quite the cast. Highmore is creepy as hell now too. I keep seeing bits of the sweet kid coming out but man he's just REALLY f'n creepy. That is inspired casting if I've ever seen it. Perfect

loving the positive comments , cant wait to finally watch this when I get home from work.

it was extremely dark in that very last scene... [blackout]someone was shown as being a junkie, as evidenced from the heavily-tracked arms...

was that Norma who was doing heroin at the end?[/blackout]

it was extremely dark in that very last scene... [blackout]someone was shown as being a junkie, as evidenced from the heavily-tracked arms...

was that Norma who was doing heroin at the end?[/blackout]

I think that was someone who was chained up in a basement. Looked like someone was keeping them drugged. My guess is that there's a serial killer in the neighborhood.

I was curious about this because I love the Psycho films and making it set in the present day is better I can understand for obvious reasons to make it more hip with todays audience.

Normally I can't commit to waiting every week for an episode that I hope this turns out good, from the looks of it I can see some potential in a re-imagining of it.

We know from upcoming episodes that mama Bates has some sneaky tricks up her sleeve.

I was wondering when this was set at first. The cars and clothes of Norman and Norma are very 20th century and then there was iphones and black rebel motorcycle club music.

My guess is that mayor garcia from The Dark Knight (the cop) is a serial killer. The notebook under the carpet in the motel which is his and he came looking for it. The girl at the end of the episode is one of his victims.

Highmore and Farmiga the creepy chemistry down. Oliva cooke's american accent is impressive.

the rape scene was a hard watch.

Anyone else think norma killed her husband?

Did Norman Bates have a older brother in the book/movies?

The Blue Fairy from Once upon a time as the teacher.

I was wondering when this was set at first. The cars and clothes of Norman and Norma are very 20th century and then there was iphones and black rebel motorcycle club music.

My guess is that mayor garcia from The Dark Knight (the cop) is a serial killer. The notebook under the carpet in the motel which is his and he came looking for it. The girl at the end of the episode is one of his victims.

Highmore and Farmiga the creepy chemistry down. Oliva cooke's american accent is impressive.

the rape scene was a hard watch.

Anyone else think norma killed her husband?

Did Norman Bates have a older brother in the book/movies?

The Blue Fairy from Once upon a time as the teacher.

Her initial reaction to her son running in and saying something was wrong with the dad certainly makes it seem that way.

My guess is that Norma drugged Norman (he woke up all shocked and disoriented) and then she went about killing him.

I don't ever recall Norman having a brother or one being mentioned in any of the movies...

never read the book, so I don't know...

From what I recall, Norman Bates in the book is very different than the Norman Bates in the movie. I think in the book he was a creepy fat slob. I don't know if they talked about his family life though. I'm pretty damn certain he didn't have a brother in the movies.

Regardless, I'm open to the change. If they're going to go full on reboot and do things differently, might as well throw in a crazy brother.

Also Bates Motel pulled in 3 million viewers last night, making it the highest rated A&E drama.

http://www.horror-movies.ca/2013/03/bates-motel-is-a-ratings-hit-for-ae/?widget_popular

Just watched the Pilot, and i liked it! The Acting from Highmore and Farmiga was superb, especially from Farmiga.

Based on what I've seen from the first episode, Farmiga seems the best bet for Emmy Nominations for the series. But this is from just one episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"