Rogue One Rate/Review - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Finally saw this and I loved it. Without a doubt my favorite Star Wars movie since TESB. Like not even close.

Saw it yesterday and the more I think about it the more it feels to me like script-wise, this is probably the best sci-fi/fantasy film in a long years. Exceptionally well written characters that really feel like a real people, very well put together story and dialogues, all things in the film felt meaningful and having some more layers to them.

Actors were fab.

I was very surprised they really let everybody die. And I loved how they did it. Not too pathetic, not too apathetic. :woot: I especially loved how they handled the death of Jyn and Cassian. No cheap cliché kiss, but the hug, which was just perfect, and the wave taking them... Fantastic!

The design of creatures, vehicles, buildings and cities. Perfect.

K-S20 kind of humour was flawless, quite the opposite of Jar Ja... you know who.

The Vader scene at the end was just... magnificent. I loved every second of him being on the screen. Every aspect of him was so great, right from the beginning... some planet, lava and rocky landscape... the ominous building at the top of the cliff... some hooded figure rushing towards the door, the door opens and there the red Imperial Royal Guards, oh yeah, that was awesome... and some tank... with a body, just so cleverly shot you don't see how damaged Vader is. And then the shadow, oh how fantastic shot that was.
The funny thing about the end scene was, I was thinking this is gonna be the Ep. IV boarding scene. Rebels in their Ep. IV costumes and with their Ep. IV weapons, in the Ep. IV corridor, Vader speaking about boarding the ship... everything was just like that and then the corridor was still so dark, I thought, hm, this is weird, there was a light when imperial troops were cutting into the ship... and then suddenly there's some figure there and light-saber lights up and, man, it's happening, Vader in his true ruthless most scary form. A total nerdgasm, I was absolutely blown away. :woot:

I really missed and opening crawl and the moment of silence before the Star Wars theme fanfare. It's truly one of the best cinematic moments ever.

Soundtrack could have been better.

Overall, great, cannot wait to see it for more times.

Saw for first time this afternoon.

Visually & aesthetically an absolute feast for nostalgic eyes, lots of references to savour to the 'older' viewer of watching the original trilogy first time round. Superb SFX & CGI (character design, incredible, won't mention who for spoilers).

However, I could not relate to characters at all, in terms of performance, journey taken (metaphoric & physical), I thought Jones was appalling, something I was worried by the trailers and it proved for me, a real issue, she was poor in her delivery of 'uprising and rebel rousing' speeches, seemed weak in her conviction and just felt no real 'I hope she succeeds' about her at all.

Secondary characters were better & more solid for me, Donnie Yen in particular.

Overall though, fits in v well with Episode IV, the film did well to retro-fit it's continuity and it 'felt' like a 70's Star Wars film, to it's credit. For me, a good film, not a great film, and not in the same raptures as my brother and friend who watched it with me, a 7/10 score for me.

I was incredibly bored by that first 45 - 1 hour mark. The last half was good though especially the final battle/ mission. My biggest problem was I didnt feel connected to any of these new characters or when they met there demise.

6.5/10

Finally saw this and I loved it. Without a doubt my favorite Star Wars movie since TESB. Like not even close.

Exactly. Most fun I 've had at a SW movie since that midnight show in 1980! Wish they could knock it out of the park more often than every 36 years.

Anybody up for an extended edition? Probably won't happen, but I can't wait for the deleted scenes at any rate.

The characters in TFA pop more but the storyline/script for Rogue One is better. R1 also has more visual imagination and takes more risks than TFA which is something of a safe and by the numbers film. Both have some issues with eye-rolling fan service.

If I had to sum up my reaction, it would be "disappointing." I'm a huge SW fan and I wanted so, so much to love this movie. But it never gave me a reason to care about any of the characters, if that word can properly be applied to the cast of cardboard cutouts featured in the film. When I walked out of the movie I literally could not name one single character, not even the girl in the lead role. Strike that - I did remember the droid, K2SO, because I found him so obnoxious.

The action sequences were gorgeously shot and edited, but it was just a fireworks show since I didn't give a rat's behind if anyone lived or died. Vader's (very limited) screen time was awesome, so there's that. I was surprised by how much time and development CGI Tarkin got, and even more surprised by how much I bought it. He was probably my favorite character in the film. (The other CGI character was still too "Polar Express" for my tastes.)

It was better than the prequels, if only because the acting wasn't terrible and the dialogue wasn't cringe-inducing (given what they had to work with I thought everyone acquitted themselves well) but it falls behind the original trilogy and TFA for me. FWIW my daighter enjoyed it much more than I did so obviously YMMV. But I give it 4/10.

Surprised that you didn't like K2SO.
I LOVED that droid.

I LOVED that droid.

He was my daughter's favorite character, too. For me, I dunno, all the comic lines fell flat and he just came off as a jerk.

Finally saw it yesterday. Loved it! 2nd favorite Star Wars movie behind Empire Strikes back. Gave it a 9/10. Only thing holding it back from a 10 was the slow beginning.

Finally saw it yesterday. Loved it! 2nd favorite Star Wars movie behind Empire Strikes back. Gave it a 9/10. Only thing holding it back from a 10 was the slow beginning.

So about four weeks, I'm impressed(I would have lost it)? I'm curious how people pull this off, did you mange to stay away from spoilers, or you knew certain character(s) fate going in?

I LOVED that droid.

I, as well, loved K2. Reminded me of an Android Sheldon Cooper. I [BLACKOUT]shed tears when he got ambushed at the end. Sadness.[/BLACKOUT]

So about four weeks, I'm impressed(I would have lost it)? I'm curious how people pull this off, did you mange to stay away from spoilers, or you knew certain character(s) fate going in?

I was not able to stay away from spoilers. There were some things that I just HAD to know. But spoilers don't bother me. They've never ruined a movie going experience. In fact, I think I might enjoy movies better when I know spoilers.

I watched the movie today and it was alright. I didn't care about the first 1 hour and 30 minutes of the movie but the last 30 minutes was significantly better. I definitely liked Cassian Andor, K-2SO, Baze and Director Krennic but the rest of the characters were pretty average IMO. The trailers were giving me a bad vibe about Jyn Erso's character and the movie made it even worse. She was good in some scenes but overall I really didn't like her role.

I loved the space battles, they were gorgeous to look at. The cinematography was amazing.

Can't properly rate the movie now, will hafta see it again sometime but I guess for the time being I'll give it 5.5/10.

Last edited:
Finally got to see this. The trailers didn't really move me so I didnt rush out.
This was aight.

Nothing really terrible, (save for Forest Whitaker. Damn I was so happy he got cast in this.) But also nothing really great.

I thought the characters were forgettable and dull. The best way I can put it is this: after TFA and getting all these great new characters, but then turning around and getting the WalMart brand boring characters, it made things feel even worse. Jyn has the personality of old dry paint and most of the rest of the cast isn't better. I saw the movie about 6 hours ago and I can't really remember anything memorable (other than succeeding at the end) that the characters did. Even some of their set up was weird. Why did Jyn need to be a criminal? They couldve made her a criminal and had that give her an edge/some bite.
Donnie Yen, K2 and the other guy with the gun were cool but that was about it. Gareth Edwards has a real problem with making characters interesting. And that's huge because when all these characters are dying it's just numb because you don't care about any of them.

The action was...fine. Nothing really moved me. Except the brief Vader scene was pretty cool. I wish we wouldve seen more of Vader dispatching of people. And although I liked the scene they shouldve cut out the scene between him and Ben Mendelson on Mustafar or wherever. For all their boasting about how this is a "war movie" I didn't feel it. I get they have to say s*** to market the movie but still. It was darker than other Star Wars fare, but idk didn't really do anything to me. Didn't feel like it went as far as they couldve gone with it. I'm not saying make it R but I think they could've done a better job getting that war feel they were going for.

Some other minor things:
-The pacing was really off. Especially those first 10-20 mins until Jynn gets rescued I was excited to hear how many planets were in this, but it really felt BvS esque at times the way we were jumping around and around.
-I said the same thing about a lot of movies that came out 2016: they shouldve scaled back. Instead of all the planet hopping they couldve just set the movie on Scarif, expand the idea, and had the whole movie be that heist that took place at the climax. I think it wouldve provided for a much more focused story.
-The CGI characters were bad. That took me out of that last shot of the movie
-The cinematography was dope

So yeah in short this was fine. I dont think this movie will hold up as the years go by. I also wont be picking up the blu ray or looking forward to seeing it again.

7/10

Watched this again on Netflix. Still enjoyable but how the heck did Jynn send the file at the end when the satellite on the bridge got blown up?

I still laugh at how the plans were stored on a tape bigger than an 8-track cassette and you have to play a game of mini-claw to get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"