Rogue One Rate/Review - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Warhammer

Half Monk, Half Hitman
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody made it yet. Welp, here it goes. Rate and review Rogue One: A Star Wars Story!

Rogue One is how any franchise should approach a prequel. It was fantastic and exceeded my expectations. The third act is phenomenol. It is the second best film in the franchise after The Empire Strikes Back and gives you an entirely new appreciation for A New Hope.

:up:

Make a Poll
give it a 3 month expiration date though

Just got back. The film is mostly...dull. I found myself just not caring about the characters or their struggles for more than half of it.

Pros: The action was great and there were a lot of nice shots. I also liked all the different planets we visited. The aliens and costumes all looked great, and Felicity Jones was my favorite of the cast. K-2SO was incredibly life-like, as well. And I don't think Tarkin looked anywhere near as "bad" as people were saying. He looked stiff in some parts and incredibly real in others (his voice was also perfect; nothing was overly exaggerated). Darth Vader was awesome at the end, and makes me wish he was the main villain here (but I'm also glad he wasn't because I'd want him in a better movie lol).

Cons: It drags. I just couldn't care about any of the characters. Saw was awful; his high-pitched whispers were dreadful acting choices and his character was just so uninteresting. Donnie was annoying with his Force prayer he kept repeating over and over and over again. WE GET IT. Vader felt more like a cosplay. His cape and mask/helmet looked so cheap. K-2SO was funny some of the times, and unfunny most of the times. And I found myself not hearing or understanding half of what everyone was saying lol. Poor sound design or poor theatre speakers, I have no idea.

All in all, a 5/10. There's a good 90 minute movie in there, but it's bombarded with 40 minutes of zzzzzzzzz. It is indeed missing the fun, adventure, and most importantly MAGIC of The Force Awakens. Oddly enough, it's wanted me to rewatch TFA and get excited for EP 8 more than anything. Go figure lol.

9/10. I loved TFA, but this ended up above it for me. I think, although I've had more than a few viewings of TFA since it came out, this movie made me feel better.

9/10.

It was something different to the other 7 films we've seen, yet it still felt exactly like a Star Wars movie. Right now it sits in my top 3 of the franchise.

9/10.

It was something different to the other 7 films we've seen, yet it still felt exactly like a Star Wars movie. Right now it sits in my top 3 of the franchise.

Just curious Roose what are your top 3?

I find that it changes for me over the years, but right now it's:

1.ESB
2.ROTJ
3.RO

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. The Force Awakens
3. Star Wars
4. Rogue One
5. Return of the Jedi

The Good

- Jyn is great. I was worried about Felicity but she pulled it off beautifully. She is endearing, and fiery, without being annoying. Even when she isn't "great" at giving a speech, it works with her character.

- The general character work is actually very good imo. While it isn't extensive you get to know the Rogue One crew, and they all endear themselves to you. The K2SO is hilarious, but Chirrut and Baze where just as great.

- The space battle is stunning and one of the best I can remember. It isn't quite the final act of Star Wars in terms of storytelling, but it goes along quite nicely with RotJ.

- Mads doesn't have a lot of screentime, but he sure makes the most of it. I love the opening scene.

- Krennic continually being embarrassed.

- The final 3 minutes. This is why people will come out loving the movie. It is the kind of thing that hits you in the chest in the perfect way.

- Lord Vader. :sly:

The Bad

- The score is bad. Not okay, but bad. And that was a disappointment for me. If you are going to use the themes, use them. The original music was very blah, but then the classic themes were used in odd, odd ways.

- The final act is very good, but it also goes on a bit too long imo.

- The title card was bad.

- The opening scene is great. And then the movie gets kind of bad until Jyn gets to Jedha. There was some BvS style editing of scenes. Just slapped together because we needed this info.

The Ugly

- Ghost Dog man. That was weird as bad place. :funny:

The score was probably the biggest disappointment for me...it's a low for Giacchino

The score was probably the biggest disappointment for me...it's a low for Giacchino
I think he could have got away with it if he didn't decide to mess with the themes he reused. If he just let them breathe, those moments would have sung the same way the final scene does with the lifted music.

Loved it. Yes, the title card was ugly looking and Tarkin'/ CG was tolerantable but he looked like a Mass Effect character during a cinematic at times. More later.

Best star was film to date. Period.

THE ENDING. THE ENDINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

It was so good. The best Star Wars movie since the original trilogy. I enjoyed it more than The Force Awakens. TFA feels a little bit bland compared to this. Characters were great. Maybe the score could have been more memorable. I need to see this again.

Seeing it once, Rogue One isn't close to the big 3, but it sits well next to RotJ as a flawed, but very good movie.

It was so good. The best Star Wars movie since the original trilogy. I enjoyed it more than The Force Awakens. TFA feels a little bit bland compared to this. Characters were great. Maybe the score could have been more memorable. I need to see this again.

I don't know that I'd use the term "bland" for TFA, but I certainly liked Rogue One more. It focused on the sort of things I want to see from these movies more so than TFA did and appealed to me on a personal level.

Is Krennic the worst non-prequel villain? The guy literally lives to get his privates kicked repeatedly. :funny:

Worst as in his capabilities or worst as in badly acted/written?

Worst as in his capabilities or worst as in badly acted/written?
I liked him because of how others crapped on him. But outside of the opening scene he wasn't really a threat and was pretty one note.

I still can't get over how terrible what I just watched was. I have no idea why this movie was made; it never justifies its existence. It doesn't add anything to the franchise, it doesn't tell a worthwhile story, it doesn't have much in the way of characters you care about (just walking plot devices). This is as blatant a cash grab disguised as "nostalgia" as I've ever seen.

Vader's inclusion was pointless, Tarkin's CGI was terrible (as was Leia's). The score was loud, overwrought and forgettable. The action, as well choreographed as some of the fisticuffs were, didn't mean anything because there was no emotion or purpose behind it. Krennic was a nonentity, simply there to give the heroes an obstacle every now and then. And they wasted a terrific cast, not a single noteworthy role among them.

I could go on and on, but I can't even bring myself to hate this movie, so unaffecting was it. It's just boring, a waste of hundreds of millions of dollars and everyones time.

1.5/10 (and that's only for the FX)

I never thought they'd make a Star Wars movie that was worse than the prequels.

I liked him because of how others crapped on him. But outside of the opening scene he wasn't really a threat and was pretty one note.

I haven't seen the film yet but from what I have seen through leaks and heard through back story of the character, isn't he kind of supposed to be that? Not really a threat, but wanting approval and thinking he deserves the accolades and attention.

I still can't get over how terrible what I just watched was. I have no idea why this movie was made; it never justifies its existence. It doesn't add anything to the franchise, it doesn't tell a worthwhile story, it doesn't have much in the way of characters you care about (just walking plot devices). This is as blatant a cash grab disguised as "nostalgia" as I've ever seen.

Vader's inclusion was pointless, Tarkin's CGI was terrible (as was Leia's). The score was loud, overwrought and forgettable. The action, as well choreographed as some of the fisticuffs were, didn't mean anything because there was no emotion or purpose behind it. Krennic was a nonentity, simply there to give the heroes an obstacle every now and then.

I could go on and on, but I can't even bring myself to hate this movie, so unaffecting was it. It's just boring, a waste of hundreds of millions of dollars and everyones time.

1.5/10 (and that's only for the FX)

I never thought they'd make a Star Wars movie that was worse than the prequels.

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"