Rogue One Rogue One & A New Hope

LostSon88

Superhero
Reaction score
I will say that Rogue One has given me an even greater appreciation for A New Hope now that I've seen the context of all of the events leading up to the attack of the Death Star.

I know a lot of people have said that this movie wasn't necessary, that we didn't need to fill in the blanks blah blah blah but I actually feel that seeing the details and context of what they had to do makes the overall experience as a Star Wars fan that much more fulfilling.

Thoughts? Did Rogue One have you look at ANH in kind of a different light?

What is this, "A New Hope" you speak of?

In short, yes.

Yes, everything I have ever heard anyone mention as a plot hole was filled in by R1. And it was done in glorious fashion.

Agreed and was debating posting something similar.

IMO it makes ANH better, makes it feel more urgent... and ads weight to the gravity of the situation and reinforces the tyranny of the Empire.

Question: I need to watch the film again, but Mads wasn't specific (like exhaust ports) when he told his daughter that there's a weakness right? Or the message was cut out before he could get into it.

Question: I need to watch the film again, but Mads wasn't specific (like exhaust ports) when he told his daughter that there's a weakness right? Or the message was cut out before he could get into it.

Yeah I don't think he mentioned the port in the message... mentions a hit to the reactor will cause a chain reaction, but that's it. If I recall correctly.

Yes, everything I have ever heard anyone mention as a plot hole was filled in by R1. And it was done in glorious fashion.

After I got home, I watched ANH. Great movie, but it's interesting how great special effects of 40 years ago aren't so great anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I STILL love Forbidden Planet and The Day the Earth Stood Still (With Michael Rennie).

I'm sure there are fans who think this entire flick wasn't needed as they would prefer to maintain the mystery of why things are the way they are in ANH, but it varies.

Did we need to know how the Death Star plans were stolen? Well, we’ve gotten by just fine the last 39 years without knowing.

But the theme of Rogue One is really about the forgotten heroes of war, and now that we know the sacrifices that were made to get those plans to the Rebellion, it gives even more meaning to all that happens in A New Hope.

It’s more than just knowing the details of how it happened, it’s understanding the cost.

Did we need to know how the Death Star plans were stolen? Well, we’ve gotten by just fine the last 39 years without knowing.

But the theme of Rogue One is really about the forgotten heroes of war, and now that we know the sacrifices that were made to get those plans to the Rebellion, it gives even more meaning to all that happens in A New Hope.

It’s more than just knowing the details of how it happened, it’s understanding the cost.

Triple :up:

What plot holes were really filled?

Did we really need to know that the two dudes Obi-Wan messed up in Mos Eisley were in Jedha beforehand? Putting them there is pretty stupid in the first place. Silly and pointless Easter egg to throw in just for the sake of throwing it in.

Just watched 'A New Hope', adds a lot more weight to it. Also hope there was a part of the honorary ceremony mentioning the rebels involved in some way. Plus it makes the bitter sweet nature of Rogue One more celebratory.

This is the only prequel I've ever encountered that actually improves upon the movie it's prequeling, at least on film. Historically speaking they have not had a good track record at all. It provided very interesting context not just to ANH but to the whole picture of the galactic civil war.

A New Hope was already amazing but to see the struggle, pain and sacrifice that lead to Luke Destroying the Death Star just makes it all even better.

What Rogue One did better than the Prequels was actually adding weight to the OT. Like actually benefiting A New Hope, which is already a great movie. It gives you a newer perspective during the first 15 minutes.

So like what Danyose said about forgotten heroes, my God, it was a pain in the butt to get the plans.

Don't forget the Bothans who died to get the plans to the second Death Star. Who Mon Mothma actually acknowledged.

Which is why this was Jyn's story. Her family gave everything.

What plot holes were really filled?

Did we really need to know that the two dudes Obi-Wan messed up in Mos Eisley were in Jedha beforehand? Putting them there is pretty stupid in the first place. Silly and pointless Easter egg to throw in just for the sake of throwing it in.
1. That was great.

2. An understanding that the Imperials weren't dumb enough to make the big weakness themselves.

1. That was great.

2. An understanding that the Imperials weren't dumb enough to make the big weakness themselves.

:up::up:

1. That was great.

My only issue is that with the Doctor, the actor they got was too young and skinny looking. But it's more a gag so whatever.

Just watched 'A New Hope', adds a lot more weight to it. Also hope there was a part of the honorary ceremony mentioning the rebels involved in some way. Plus it makes the bitter sweet nature of Rogue One more celebratory.

Same here. A lot of people died getting those plans but Luke and Han gets all the credit.
It also explains why the Rebel Alliance was so small during the Death Star battle, considering that a lof of their ships got destroyed during the Scariff battle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"