RATE then REVIEW the movie DEADPOOL 2!

Discussion in 'Deadpool 2' started by psylockolussus, May 15, 2018.

1. Teelie Jokerface

The entire point of this franchise is to mock all of that. The big character team up, the names, if none of them died then it would be another generic superhero movie and not Deadpool. Besides which the end credits scenes might nullfiy all that anyways unless they decide to go in a completely different direction with it again which they very well might.

In Deadpool's universe, nothing is sacred.

2. Golgo-13 The Return of the O.G

6/10. A lot of the humor felt forced. The action, while good, was nothing to really write home about. I liked the first on better.

3. SomeOldGuy Registered

Tee-riffic film! Probably an 8.5 now, might go higher the second time around. Audience at my matinee today ate it up and no one budged when the credits started to roll. (Oh yeah, best post-credits scene ever!) Laughed my ass off. Oh and the Juggernaut song is freaking awesome. Easily my favorite cbm this year so far.

4. Joefixit Registered

I agree!!! I give it an 8.5 out of ten!! I loved this movie!! Laughed from start to finish!! Easily one of the most enjoyable movies I’ve seen in months.

5. marcvader Lurker #1

Just got back from seeing it, laughed my ass off. Not as great as the near perfect predecessor but fantastic fun none the less. Give me more. 8 out of 10

6. Tg11 Registered

Definitely better than the original and that is saying a lot

7. Marvel Registered

Same. I honestly can't see anyone other than a loyal fanboy giving this thing anything above a 6/10. It was a huge let down and, frankly, an unfunny mess.

Despite the box office (it got my money) word of mouth from non-fans is going to be awful.

8. Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

This film certainly took built on the decent-but-flawed promise of the first film. We got a more original narrative, better villains, better action, and better humor.

9. DACrowe Registered

Yes, that 83% RT score from critics and the "A" CinemaScore really indicates "terrible word of mouth.: :yay:

With that said, Solo is opening next week, so I think you're right the legs will not be spectacular.

10. Teelie Jokerface

I've noticed it is always a certain type of fanboy who will go and denounce a property and say only "fanboys" will say a movie (or game, whatever) is good even though it is apparent everyone else, including the general audience disagrees with their assesment of how terrible it is.

11. nightwing06 Registered

Deadpool 2

Ryan Reynolds returns to the role he was born to play,the merc with the mouth Deadpool in Deadpool 2.
    This time around his goal is to protect a young mutant Julian Dennison as Russell Collins / Firefist from the time jumping Cable(Josh Brolin) who has set his deadly sights on him.

This movie is a mixture of Terminator 2 and all of the great things about Deadpool from the comics and anything else the writers who definitely did their homework on the character came up with.
    Reynolds is game and fun as usual,I thought Brolin was ok as Cable,he's at his best whenever he is sharing the screen with Deadpool as their personalities and goals clashed.
    Dennison was just so so,i felt something for Firefists plight but after awhile he was just an obnoxious yelling kid IMO.

Zazie Beetz as Domino fares far better,i loved her in the role,all the right amounts of toughness,charm and humor.
    Some characters got the short end of the stick,but i was pleasantly surprised by a complete U Turn of what i thought was going to happen with certain characters.
    Thee are some extremely laugh out loud moments,i thought the blink and you will miss them cameos were great.
    Some of the action sequences looked kind of choppy.The film tries to go for the heart a couple of times and it worked in some sequences but some of those go for drama turns brought the movie to a crawl.
    I loved the mid credits scenes,and as a comic book fan a lot of the references and nods worked for me.
    Not as good as the first Deadpool but highly watchable and satisfying

Scale of 1-10 an 8

12. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

I'm not a "loyal fanboy" by any means. Deadpool has never been, nor will he ever, be one of my favorite characters. But this is a good movie, one that has largely been well-received, and one that non-fans are seemingly embracing.

13. marcvader Lurker #1

Same here. I've yet to read a Deadpool comic in all my years of reading, never found him appealing in anything he showed up in, but I found both of his films to be very entertaining.

14. Havok83 Registered

I just saw the film. Wasnt a big fan of it. I thought it was stupid which was the point so they succeeded there. The first was better. Maybe a 7 from me

15. pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

8.0/10 Stupid, obscene fun. But the original did it better. Still pretty good. Domino was fantastic. [BLACKOUT]Colossus vs Juggernaut was exciting, and decently executed.[/BLACKOUT] Cable was okay.

#65 pr0xyt0xin, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
  16. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Just got back, loved it personally, great new characters, good returns for the old ones, great action and some seriously LOL moments. Apart from one part at the start I didn’t like I loved this, and we finally got a kick ass action scene between two powerhouse mutants which was awesome.

But yeah, Reynolds holds these movies together so well, great time at the movies, 9/10.

17. -JKR- Registered

Don't read the Daniel Way stories. Start with the Joe Kelly run. You'll love it, trust me.

I loved the movie! I don't know if it's better than the first one, as I still have to metabolize it. But I'm dying to see it again.

Reynolds, Leitch, Reese and Wernick managed to up the ante, but keep an idea on the heart of the character and what made the original story great: Wade's personal demons and story.

I don't get the complaints about the start being slow, as I was in stitches as soon as I saw the very first shot.

After that it's a thrill-ride, which in my opinion moves just as swiftly as the original. I was never bored, and I really appreciated the development and growth Wade got as a character.

Cable was a beast. Josh Brolin does SO much with very little. You can feel his pain and determination, and his fight scenes were badass. Domino was a wonderful supporting character and Zazie Beetz nailed her, and Julian Dennison was great as the lonely and bratty Firefist.

If I had to find a fault is that some of the CGI wasn't exactly on par with that in the original.

And if you haven't seen the movie you might want to skip the following, as it includes heavy

S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    S

I fell in love with the movie as soon as I saw Wade puffing his cigarette and making sure his place was ready for an explosive suicide. I really don't get why people didn't love the first act as I thought it was shocking, heartfelt and loved the dark humour surrounding Wade and his depression.

That was straight from the comics, as was the subplot surrounding his wish to die to stay with Vanessa. I never thought that we would've seen the Deadpool/Death story on the big screen. Well, we did.

Cable finding his dead family was tough to watch, and his stoicism made it even tougher, as you can sense that he's bottling up his pain and anger. Brolin kills it, as he conveys so much through his hard-edged stillness.

The X-Force subplot was shocking and hilarious and Juggernaut was a nice surprise. I really loved his characterization. I also loved how unpredictable the movie is and how many chances the filmmaker took. It's not a typical hero vs. villain movie, and the showdown is not about taking someone down. That was unexpected and one of the movies major strenghts.

I found so much of what I loved about Joe Kelly's run in this movie. Wade at odds with his own personality, trying to become a better human being. The tonal shifts were uncompromising, and I LOVED that.

My biggest nitpick is the CGI. And I'm not talking about Juggernaut, but the shot of Domino avoiding the accident and Wade's baby legs stuck out IMO. It wasn't as refined as the CGI in the original. The baby hand was incredible. But that was to be expected without Tim Miller. But aside from this, David Leitch did a wonderful job: the direction is stylish, fearless and hard-hitting, and the cinematography was gorgeous.

9/10
    They knocked it out of the park. Deadpool 2 is unconventional, hilarious, dark and moving.

#67 -JKR-, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
  18. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

A serviceable if lackluster follow up film that I'd have to rate as a 6/10. Review to follow:
    Getting it out there right off the bat... Not a fan of the character from the comics. Generally speaking as a comic character I find Deadpool and his stories more grating than anything. I have laughed heartily at his antics from time to time but nothing about the character or the world has ever had me approaching fandom. That didn't stop me from enjoying the first film a lot though. For all it's obscene charm the first film actually follows a template laid down by Donner's Superman movie in its story. Miller, Reynolds and the writing team knew that you had to get the audience invested in Vanessa and Wade. Yes the first film is funny, and it had wonderful Tarantino-esque violence and gross out humor but what puts it over the top is that you are invested in Wade and Vanessa. The Calendar Girl sequence was one of the best romantic montages of the last 15 years. They knew how to hook you in all the ways a DP film should.

For this film... I'm sorry but from top to bottom it felt like the comedy was given primacy and figuratively everything else was an afterthought.This for me is illustrated by the choice to kill Vanessa right at the start to supposedly give Deadpool his through line of the film but... I'm sorry while it's a GREAT gag to have the credits mirror the audience's own incredulousness of what was just shown... After that it doesn't really work for the character. We were already invested in the relationship and the character... Now Deadpool is without that aspect and the film I suppose wants us to feel some level of depth of connection to this new young kid and despite all the obvious character flaws we are supposed to root for Wade and feel his affect on this kid and... Well that's a needle to thread when the child actor, Julian Dennison's and the character's general vibe is based around sub-Rebel Wilson schtick. And that's not necessarily a rip on Wilson. She can be funny. But a little goes a LONG way and that's how it was with Dennison. And fine, the character can be mostly for laughs but still figure in some resonant way dramatically... But that is never allowed to happen. The kid is like so much of the film, just a walking gag. And as the kid and his fate is tied into DP's through line with the loss of Vanessa there aught to be some kind of weight there, right? It doesn't have to be saccharine or heavy handed, hell the first film wasn't that when it came to the dramatics.

So the kid is an issue as is killing Vanessa for me, yeah.

Then there is the inclusion of Cable here which feels... Almost like nothing and a waste of Brolin in the role especially given the rightful applaud he's already gotten as another Marvel Comic character in INFINITY WAR. Generally speaking Brolin is actually pretty damn good as Cable. Look, I can't cry too loud over Cable's film version diverging so much from the comics. Honestly, Cable's origin is all kinds of convoluted, bat-guano nuts. So I thought it likely that they would rebuild aspects of the character from the ground up. But in doing so they didn't seem to put too much thought into him. I mean... He's literally a grieving father that walks around with a burnt teddy bear. That feels like exactly the sort of OTT action movie cliche that a movie with the tone of Deadpool should be making fun of. But that's it... They couldn't get tht balance right with that. So instead of being either commentary or being done in a way that has real emotional weight or a good mix of the both... Cable and his story just feel kind of there, not impacting me in any way really. I will say that I particularly liked the faux Terminator music used when he's onscreen early. That was a way to do something subtly humorous with a character not really known for comedy. But then... They also don't really do anything with Cable either even though his presence in the film drives a lot of the plot. He doesn't spend much time interacting with Deadpool really, so there's not even any great banter between them. The ONE running gag, a play on "Black Tom" is.... Okay. It's not great shakes and got older the longer they kept doing the bit.

Now, I also don't have warm and fuzzies for X-Force in general. While I can't say Domino in this film was "great" she was part of one of the few great action scenes in the film and overall didn't have much of a problem with the actress and character as presented. She makes it out better than the rest of the "team" Wade puts together and here once more I feel conflicted at the choices made by the creatives. In the build up for this movie they made sure to court the hard core fan. There is NO reason to focus on the team in the marketing other than to drum up some social media buzz. For myself I couldn't care less. None of those characters really means anything to me but in supposing what a DP2 would be like I at least assumed we'd get some fun action out of these characters... And we do for about five minutes before the creators decide to off them. And yeah, it's funny, not insane levels of funny but it's a wonderfully awkward laugh that came out of me during that scene. It's really funny. Now I said I have no nostalgia for these characters but... Man if I did I don't know how I'd react. There's even another part of me that wonders why the creatives wouldn't expect a backlash given how they used these characters in marketing. There's however a third side of myself that at the end of the day kind of admires the testicular fortitude to do what they did do regardless of how superfluous they all were in hindsight just because it was a kind of middle finger to the fanboy set. Smart? I'm not sure. Ballsy? Yeah.

Returning characters are almost all terribly underused, though I can't say any were out of character from how we last knew them or anything. But while the X-Force characters feel superfluous the returning characters from DP1 feel at best perfunctory. It's like, they are now baked in to the DP mythos on film so they have to be in the sequel right? But they didn't come up with anything that made them compelling or as funny as they were used in the first film. I guess they wanted to keep up with the X-Men crossover stuff but I don't think either Peter or Negasonic were used in any meaningful way, either for humor or dramatics OR action.

On most everything else... Look this is a critic proof film in a way and I mean that even professionally. The first film is all the advertisement this one needed. And as the filthy comedy was such a crowd pleasing element from the DP1 that everyone remembers it's pretty much doubled down on here and as I said, it's kind of critic proof in that sense. "It was a funny movie that was a sequel to a funny movie... What do you want?" First I would say that while a lot of the humor hits and hits well for the most part... DP1 is a funnier movie. I just felt the comedy was tighter and less grating/schticky. Again I don't find the dramatics all that satisfying, so it's less than in my eyes already in two of the three aspects that made the first film what it was. The last part of that triarchy is action and I can't say that the action here was mostly anything to write home about, whether the fight choreography of general sequences. There are about two, maybe three action moments I truly felt matched the first film, but the rest was, while well shot, rather run of the mill for CBMs.

And here is where I bring up the "lore" of the first DP film. Reynolds famously pushed the first one through and by force of will and taking advantage of circumstances pulled off quite the trick in making the first Deadpool movie so successful on every level. The drive even was apparent in the marketing for DP1. Reynolds had his script writers revise that script every year until it was greenlit. And that might be all the difference. The same duo going to revise a script every year for years means I think it's possible they planned out everything story wise so that they had a tight screenplay that balanced out all the elements. I cannot help but think that DP2 is a perfect example of a sequel where they slapped it together thinking they were indeed taking the franchise to a new place but they didn't consider all the angles. Also... Yes I think they lazily assumed that they could cover any possible flaws by coating it all heavily with absurd and obscene humor. I can see how this might be a good installment to others but for me, I just don't think it holds a candle to the first film.

Last off... The end credit scenes that so many seem to love are this film's issues in a nutshell. While I laughed at the GL and ORIGINS jokes as much as anyone... I am sorry but they left us not only with a film where the emotional through line for the character is unengaging and muddy at the best of times but then they maybe kinda sort of it's possible who knows at this time just up and neutralized the proceeding two hours of my life. So... Was that a post cred gag or was I supposed take it seriously? If the film had indeed JUST been about the R rated humor, and OTT R rated humor at that then... I wouldn't have an issue with ANYTHING, even that post cred. It's all just nonsense anyway right? But that's it. They obviously want you to take it all with some grain of seriousness when it comes to both this film and DP1. That's not my interpretation that the films themselves. So it's like... They want me to car but they want to make fun of the fact that I'm caring or they got me to care or... Something? The post cred just put the cherry on this frustrating if funny sundae. All in all I can't see myself willingly revisiting this film all that often in the future.

19. Batmannerism Super-unknown

I feel like the very nature of Deadpool as a character puts limitations on what's possible in his films.

This was a fun 2 hours, and worth the money to see, but it's not going to stay with me the way any of the recent MCU films have.

The action was good - maybe some fight scenes a little overlong (which is a weird complaint for me) and overly stylized.

I think the best part of the film was the characterisation of Colossus - he is a wonderful straight man to Deadpool's tom-foolery, much more so than Cable.

I enjoyed Cable, in that Brolin brought a different energy than that he brought to Thanos.

RR still carries the show as the main character, and he does have some moments where we see beyond the wise-cracking facade and we see him as a guy who's actually in pain.

Great to see Julian Dennison getting work in big pictures - hope he builds on this and we see him in some more Hollywood films.

I give it a solid 7 to 7.5/10 (Infinity War and Civil War are somewhere between 9 and 10 ), better than Justice League, but not a game changer.

TBH I rated the first Deadpool film about the same - although it has the advantage of being a bit fresher, as that was the first time audiences were introduced to DP's particular brand of ultra-violent nonsense (and it had Gina Carano in it, which always improves a film IMO).

20. JtheDreamer Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

This film was meh.

There's still some genuinely funny moments, but the charm wore off this time around. Everything felt like a paper cut-out, including the kid and his plight. Juggernaut was randomly forced into the story and Cable was forgettable. Can't forget those magic neck braces that strip X-men of their powers - pretty plot convenient. It's bizarre when the end fight sequence features the film's main character vs. lowly orderlies. His death or desire to didn't resonate with me at all.

I felt like Reynolds and Co. spent too much time riffing and "Well what if we did" then actually putting together a coherent film. What they ended up with was very under cooked.

#70 JtheDreamer, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
  21. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

They spent more time on gags and thinking about funny marketing than either well thought out action scenes or a compelling and resonant through lines for the characters and honestly they could have made that kid an actual character and tried to get him to be more than a sub-Rebel Wilson parody. The first film had a great relationship I was onboard with at the center of it. That gave me some weight in the middle of all the wonderfully obscene humor. DP2 had nothing approaching that since they pretty much exchanged one relationship we were already invested in for another that I could not buy with a character that was just a gag and which I felt no connection to.

22. -JKR- Registered

What's so 'gaggy' about child abuse, loss and compassion?

#72 -JKR-, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
  23. JtheDreamer Slangin Grannys Peach Tea

Those themes were attempted, but not really fleshed out like the relationship in the first film. It came off very hollow.

24. Prettyricky Registered

Thought it was good and enjoyed while it was going but once it was over it didnt
    Really stay with me like the first one. Cable was interesting at first then became forgettable at the end. Lot more parts that dragged and slowed the movie down to the point i started realzing there wasnt much plot or story this time around.

3/5