Justice League Re-cast Hal Jordan for JL movie? Yay or Nay? - Part 1

Should they get someone other than Ryan Reynolds or stick with him?

Please state your reasons.

FeedOnATreeFrog said:
Have you guys seen this poll?:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/...-green-lantern

The ign audience at least would prefer John Stewart by a long mile.

So would the hardcore comicbook audience:
http://forums.comicbookresources.com...-or-Hal-Jordan
Good stuff. They really should try giving the broader audience what they want. Hal's a niche character that I really don't see much potential in for GA consumption
...i like my comic book movies to take inspiration from the comics. Otherwise it becomes less of an adaptation and more of a loose reimagining... So yeah, a completely original story about John wouldn't get me or many other Green Lantern fans excited. Why does that excite you? An original story could literally have any outcome, it could end up much worse than Hal Jordan's movie. That makes no sense to support that. The fact that you would prefer this to WB using elements from some of the many stories that they could draw from is very strange to me, I seriously can't understand your reasoning.
Try harder. It's not rocket science. I don't like Hal & haven't heard anything about him that's interesting to me. I feel the exact opposite about John. The Marine aspect can be used in interesting ways. I'm just assuming for the sake of argument that John don't have too many quality stories. Considering how DC treats him nowadays I wouldn't be surprised. I've tried to get invested in Hal & couldn't. It wouldn't make sense at all for me to be excited to see yet another film w/him now would it? Think about it. Nothing automatically wrong w/original stories. Hell, Hancock was original & did faaaar better than Hal's mess of a film even w/a smaller budget. I don't think Hal will translate well & I think there's a better chance for a good John flick.
The fanboy community is growing. You think that the ga are the only ones they should aim to please, but the superhero genre is the most successful film genre at this point, the fanbase is a lot bigger than you would think. It's important to keep the fans happy, as the buzz leading up to the movie will be more positive.
GA likes comic book films that have interesting characters in them. Hal just ain't one of those guys IMO. How was the buzz from Hal fans b4 his movie flopped?
Wow! You watched JL/JLU and read 9 issues! Now it all makes sense for you to be spending so much time defending a character that you clearly know so much about. :dry:
More excellent fanboy talk. You've read more GL books than I have! Awesome! Someone get this man a cookie! Gather 'round him lads! Surely this amazing & special man knows what's best!

Anyways. I'm cautious when it comes to reading John's old stuff because all I keep hearing about is him ****ing up, having rough times, crying, being paralyzed and/or trying to off himself. lol. I'll pass for now if you don't mind.

Done w/current stuff for now because they tried to off him for nothing. Pissed the writer off so much he walked. Guess he was a John fan too.
In response to your "huh", I noticed that you were viewing this thread as i was posting. But it took you hours to come up with a response.
lol. You contradict yourself a lot, man. You've said you were done responding to me a few times &now look at ya. Eagerly awaiting my next response. You're caring a lil' too much. I'm just words on a screen. This ain't life or death stuff to me, kid. Relax. I'll get around to it when I can. Was treadmill time @the gym. Don't like replying on my cell all that much as it is. Then I was dealing w/Pep Boys. Had to get 4new tires today :(
It's interesting that you're not willing to take a small amount of your time to read one of the stories about a character you've formed such a strong opinion on. Yet, you're willing to spend all this time arguing with people that are more informed than you are.
Maybe if I can get it for free. I'm not paying to read about a character I don't like to appease some fanboy who says he won't debate me until I know more about the characters.... but then continues to debate :) Hilarious! Answer my question about the animated films please.
The fact that you're such a blind follower of John Stewart baffles me, I've never witnessed anything like this. Are you black?

Growing up with JL, i noticed that many of my black friends favorite superheroes were usually Green Lantern, mainly because there is a serious lack of black superheroes. I remember a conversation years ago, with my friend, let's call him Chris, on the playground. We were talking about superheroes, and Chris mentioned that he liked Spider Man and Batman, but his favorite was Green Lantern. Somewhat surprising, as at the time he wasn't a huge character, but i asked him why, and he told me that he's the coolest black superhero. Children tend to relate to characters more when they are the same race as the children. This is why we see black Santa Claus, black barbie dolls, etc;. There needs to be more prominent black superheroes, but the fact is, DC is focusing all their efforts on Hal Jordan, and I don't see why they'd change their business strategy now.
Because it's not working :) @least not outside of the comics. He keeps coming up short. VERY short. They should just call him Lantern. He sure ain't bringing in the green. The Red Lantern would be more fitting. He keeps putting them in it :)
DC is aware of this black superhero problem, and its interesting to note that instead of adding John Stewart to the JL, they added Cyborg.

And before you say that DC adding Cyborg wasn't because of his race, we both know that's bs. It's obvious what their intentions were. There were a ton of more eligible characters that should've made the cut over Cyborg, but since he's black and since DC is aware of the lack of black superheroes, they stole him from the Titans and put him on the JL.
Avoid putting words in my mouth. I'm black & I agree that's why they put him there. They give us the black guy THEY want us to like, not the one we already do. Every time I try to give DC a chance they blow it. First they erase Wally & now this. John's not my favorite character tho(see my sig), just my fave GL, followed closely by Guy.
Also, Bruce Timm added John Stewart just for diversity, the same reason he added Hawkgirl, also for diversity. The only time WB or DC has ever shown any interest in John Stewart is to make them feel like their company is "PC" and it helps expand their fanbase to black children too. It's shallow, but you've got to look at the big picture.
There's mainly the fact that Hal's never really made himself a must-have member. They knew they could swap his lame ass out &few would be mad. Easily replaceable. Man, it was awesome! They touched on why John was used. He was the best fit. Sad that even the great Bruce Timm couldn't save Hal from another failure. I think he knew when he made JL how corny, worthless, unimportant &failure prone Hal was even back then. Did they force him to make the GL show at gunpoint? :) Another expensive fail for WB w/Hal front & center. Sensing a pattern?
DC doesn't take John seriously. That's why he's not leading any books or starring in animated movies or even on the Justice League. John is a low tier Green Lantern in DC's eyes. They don't care about him like they do Hal.

Kyle and Hal are the fan favorites. You're one of very few John Stewart fans, brainchild. I can barely even call you a fan though, you know so very little about John but are so obsessed. It baffles me. If John Stewart wasn't a fictional character, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a romantic element to the obsession...
Hhahaha i kid, i kid :oldrazz:
& I love jokes. Let me know when you have a good one :oldrazz: Seriously tho Hal & Kyle are the favorites of the comic fans. Means nothing to the GA & even less to me.
I feel I must clarify again, I'm a fan of all the earth Green Lanterns. I want John Stewart to appear in movies. I would like him on the Justice League. But he is simply so wrong for a solo movie. Until he proves himself as a viable solo character, my opinion will remain unchanged.
I only like John & Guy. Not sure about Baz yet. I feel the same way about Hal that you feel about John. Not the liking him part, the wrong for a solo movie part. Wrong for live action period. Until he proves to be a viable solo character in live action, my opinion will remain unchanged. We should just agree to disagree, friendo. Gonna sleep now. Don't worry, kid. I'll probably be back.
The mask is part of Hal Jordan's iconic look, and sets him apart from the other GLs. In every form of media, Hal has been in, he's always had the mask. Even when he was Parallax and Spectre he still had it. You can't have the mask without Green lantern.
lol. This is what I meant when I said fanboys may not accept it. It's so corny
Hal is far more interesting and is more complex. Plus he brings lots of complex relationships on the league and GL mythoswise. He's best friends with Barry, His love-hate relationship with Batman, He flirts with WW, and brings to the team an Iron Man-type personality which audiences love etc He also has a relationship with Carol leader of the star sapphires, and his boss. is archenemies of Sinestro and Atrocitus, and has had the most interactions with Agent Orange. There's no way DC will pass up all of this to make an "new origin story" when one already works for them and has basically written itself.
Didn't work for them last time. lol "all of this" is a bunch of stuff fanboys love & the GA don't care about. Awesome!
What? This entire paragraph is so wrong its hard to respond. But I'll do my best. Yeah, John was portrayed mostly well in JL/JLU I never disputed that. So what? Characters end up in failed projects. Batman had a ****** movie. Superman, Wolverine as well have ended up in ****** movies, yet they are still being used. A failed project doesn't mean the end of a character. It just means you should try harder, and this has worked as Hal has been portrayed better in comics, animated movies and video games. Polls don't really much. Mostly bcus DC couldn't care less and they vary from site to site. People call for their favourite characters to be portrayed in movies, its natural and understandable, but the fact that they called, doesn't mean they get their wish. And just because you don't desire to see Cyborg or Waller, that doesn't mean they won't appear. Their fans seem to want them their. I guess they should appear by your logic right?:whatever:

Look dude, I don't hate John but to act like he's the best option bcus Hal has a failed movie and John appeared in an animated show that ended more than 6years ago shows total bias on your part.
We're all biased in one way or another. Already said comparing Bats to Hal isn't helping Hal's case. People shouldn't compare Hal to Wolvie or Supes either. They're iconic and/or have proven to be a box office draw before. Hal isn't & didn't. His film cost more but still made less. They should cut their losses. Abandon all hope! Next time it's hard for you to respond, try not responding. We'll all be better off :)

Last edited:
I apologize for bringing up your race in relation to you liking John... i wasn't trying to say that you have to be black to like him, that's so racist and ridiculous, and any problems I have with John don't at all pertain to his race.

John Stewart's race gets brought up a lot when talking about the character because of the way DC uses him. If they started taking him more seriously, based on those polls, it could be very successful, he's obviously got a fanbase. I had no idea until I saw those polls..

I like the idea of a Katma Tui/John Stewart relationship. In the comics, John Stewart's wife is killed by Star Sapphire (Carol Ferris). If John and Hal were both the leads in the next GL movie, they could focus on Carol killing John's wife, which I think would make for an interesting story element.

Chiwetel Ejiofar for John

Jake Gyllenhaal for Hal

Mads Mikkelsen for Sinestro

Rose Byrne as Carol Ferris

Last edited:
John Stewart's race gets brought up a lot when talking about the character because of the way DC uses him. If they started taking him more seriously, based on those polls, it could be very successful, he's obviously got a fanbase. I had no idea until I saw those polls..

s

Each titular Lantern has a fanbase, and rightly so. All 4 of them are extremely well-developed characters. My biggest concern is WB trying to use anyone other than Hal without increasing their profile to the non-comic audience. The Green Lantern symbol is everywhere, but it's almost always Hal when the character is presented outside of the comics.

If WB plans to use someone other than Hal for the movie (which I would give a 1 in 100 chance), they need to get that character on Arrow or put out some PG-13 animated DVDs to introduce that character to the non-print audience.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for DC to get Mattel to put some other GL figures in the stores as well. Getting kids and collectors familiar with the other GLs would be a logical place to start as well.

Good stuff. They really should try giving the broader audience what they want. Hal's a niche character that I really don't see much potential in for GA consumption

As I've said before polls don't matter bcus DC couldn't care less and they aren't much people there, to make an accurate assertion of what the GA thinks. Here's a poll where Hal won if you want. http://www.comicvine.com/green-lant...n-do-you-want-in-the-justice-lea-1471089/#103

Try harder. It's not rocket science. I don't like Hal & haven't heard anything about him that's interesting to me. I feel the exact opposite about John. The Marine aspect can be used in interesting ways. I'm just assuming for the sake of argument that John don't have too many quality stories. Considering how DC treats him nowadays I wouldn't be surprised. I've tried to get invested in Hal & couldn't. It wouldn't make sense at all for me to be excited to see yet another film w/him now would it? Think about it. Nothing automatically wrong w/original stories. Hell, Hancock was original & did faaaar better than Hal's mess of a film even w/a smaller budget. I don't think Hal will translate well & I think there's a better chance for a good John flick.

Just because you don't like Hal, that doesn't mean others will feel the same way. There's no reason Hal can't be portrayed on the big screen other than the fact you think he can't be. And what you think hardly matters to DC. And stop this original flick stuff. Its never happening. It was used only once when Hal & Kyle weren't around, and as long as they're here, it ain't happening.

GA likes comic book films that have interesting characters in them. Hal just ain't one of those guys IMO. How was the buzz from Hal fans b4 his movie flopped?

For someone who doesn't read comic books, you sure can decide when a comic book character is interesting:whatever:. To add to it, your only explanation is "IMO". Your bias gives you away. If Hal wasn't interesting, then DC would have canned his a$$. Instead he's top GL. So once again what you (biasedly) think doesn't really matter.

More excellent fanboy talk. You've read more GL books than I have! Awesome! Someone get this man a cookie! Gather 'round him lads! Surely this amazing & special man knows what's best!

Anyways. I'm cautious when it comes to reading John's old stuff because all I keep hearing about is him ****ing up, having rough times, crying, being paralyzed and/or trying to off himself. lol. I'll pass for now if you don't mind.

Done w/current stuff for now because they tried to off him for nothing. Pissed the writer off so much he walked. Guess he was a John fan too.

The only good John story I can think of was Mosaic. He hardly has anything to his name, unlike Hal who has the entire mythos behind him.

Maybe if I can get it for free. I'm not paying to read about a character I don't like to appease some fanboy who says he won't debate me until I know more about the characters.... but then continues to debate Hilarious! Answer my question about the animated films please.[/QUOTE]

Its impossible to dislike a character you know almost nothing about. Yet you say so in the case of Hal. You are clearly just a rabid John fanboy who knows next to nothing about the GL mythos or what green lanterns about. Do us a favour and stopping insipid statements such as these.

Because it's not working @least not outside of the comics. He keeps coming up short. VERY short. They should just call him Lantern. He sure ain't bringing in the green. The Red Lantern would be more fitting. He keeps putting them in it

:oldrazz:Funny, the animated series Hal was starred in, got great reviews and ratings, the animated movies he starred sold well, and were second in sales only to Batman/Superman/ and some JL movies, etc I could go on and on, but I've made my point clear. Hal makes money for DC. If he hadn't DC would have dropped him years ago. Your points on his "soooooooo" many failures are pointless and lame, and hold no water.

There's mainly the fact that Hal's never really made himself a must-have member. They knew they could swap his lame ass out &few would be mad. Easily replaceable. Man, it was awesome! They touched on why John was used. He was the best fit. Sad that even the great Bruce Timm couldn't save Hal from another failure. I think he knew when he made JL how corny, worthless, unimportant &failure prone Hal was even back then. Did they force him to make the GL show at gunpoint? Another expensive fail for WB w/Hal front & center. Sensing a pattern?

:doh:You really don't know anything about DC or Gl related. John was put on the show bcus he was the one of the only two choices DC had. It was either him or Guy. And since he added diversity, he was chosen. Hal and Kyle weren't replaced bcus essentially they weren't even there to be replaced. DC just used the only available lantern to them, which was wise on their part, as they wanted the success to pass on to the comics. Unfortunately for John and Hawkgirl it didn't work.

& I love jokes. Let me know when you have a good one Seriously tho Hal & Kyle are the favorites of the comic fans. Means nothing to the GA & even less to me.

Neither does John. GL in general really doesn't matter to the GA bcus they have yet to make an impact with them, aside from animated projects here and there. If he mattered that much, he would have been picked for the 2011 movie, right? :cwink: Hal and Kyle are fan favourites cus have they have the best stories, moments, and relationships. If the GA is properly introduced to stuff like that, then there's no reason the GA wouldn't like them.

I only like John & Guy. Not sure about Baz yet. I feel the same way about Hal that you feel about John. Not the liking him part, the wrong for a solo movie part. Wrong for live action period. Until he proves to be a viable solo character in live action, my opinion will remain unchanged. We should just agree to disagree, friendo. Gonna sleep now. Don't worry, kid. I'll probably be back. lol.

Lol, you can think what you want, but he's got what it takes. If he didn't then DC wouldn't be pushing him so hard.

This is what I meant when I said fanboys may not accept it. It's so corny.

Its been a part of him since his conception in 1959, and so far, its position hasn't budged. Even when put in live action, he still had it, albeit it looked terrible with CGI.

Didn't work for them last time. lol "all of this" is a bunch of stuff fanboys love & the GA don't care about. Awesome!

Again, how do you know the GA won't care about it. Unless you can see the future, you're doing nothing but blowing hot air.

We're all biased in one way or another. Already said comparing Bats to Hal isn't helping Hal's case. People shouldn't compare Hal to Wolvie or Supes either. They're iconic and/or have proven to be a box office draw before. Hal isn't & didn't. His film cost more but still made less. They should cut their losses. Abandon all hope! Next time it's hard for you to respond, try not responding. We'll all be better off

I'm not biased on this subject, but its cool if you admit you are:oldrazz: As for the comparisons, they still stand. They had all failed movies, yet they are still being made, soooooooooooooo.....Take your bias and move it elsewhere, cus Hal isn't going anywhere:woot:

Last edited:
lol Calm down, kid. You'll notice that even in that poll you posted that it's very close &Kyle is a non-factor even though he's been promoted faaar more in the comics.
I apologize for bringing up your race in relation to you liking John... i wasn't trying to say that you have to be black to like him, that's so racist and ridiculous, and any problems I have with John don't at all pertain to his race.

I like the idea of a Katma Tui/John Stewart relationship. In the comics, John Stewart's wife is killed by Star Sapphire (Carol Ferris). If John and Hal were both the leads in the next GL movie, they could focus on Carol killing John's wife, which I think would make for an interesting story element.

Chiwetel Ejiofar for John

Jake Gyllenhaal for Hal

Mads Mikkelsen for Sinestro

Rose Byrne as Carol Ferris
All is forgiven. There's nothing wrong w/reading a lot of comics, but once the studio decides to make a big budget film, factors outside of the comics take a more prominent role. These films simply can't be successful if there's nothing front & center to make the GA interested. When the trailers first started airing for GL, I had white people asking me why they turned GL white. I knew then the kind of impact that show had had on people of all shades. I've seen accounts on this forum from people from other countries who also thought GL was black.

Last edited:
I'm completely calm :) Encountering and countering trollish points that have no basis other than IMO, and lies is all too natural for me now.

Yes, definetly Recast. Just reboot EVERYTHING.

I for one believe it wouldn't be completely TOO far fetched if Del Toro took the reigns for a Green Lantern movie, given he himself is good friends with Chris Nolan and Zack Snyder; that and when you watch Hellboy, Pan's Labryinth, Pacific Rim, his style would best benefit a new world for Green Lantern. :woot: :hrt:

Del Toro would be perfect for Green Lantern Corps (especially if he could get Elba and Kazinsky back for John and Guy). Here's hoping that Heimdall dies in Thor 2 or 3!
pacific-rim-1.jpg

I think he'd be attracted to the job, seen as he loves his monsters (and there are plenty of creatures in Green Lantern) and that he's never done a space movie.

I also think he'd be great for Wonder Woman.

Other great directors for GLCorps would be Neil Blomkamp, Duncan Jones, Rian Johnson.

Last edited:
Rian Johnson needs to do Batman! Seriously, hes one of the best right now. Him and Cuaron both need to work on something DC related. Del Toro would be GREAT for GL, as long as the script isn't as appallingly horrible as it was for Pacific Rim.

I prefer Del Toro on JL:Dark. it just sounds too awesome to pass up.

A GDT Deadman and Etrigan?! I can't imagine how could thatd look

Del Toro will do JLDark in the next few years (hopefully).

GLCorps won't be till 2018 at the earliest.

He could do one, then the other.

Time to get back on topic. Its probably going to be rebooted, seeing as the GL(Ryan) himself doesn't even want to come back. So yeah, recast Hal. There are so many better options than Ryan for Hal: Bradley Cooper/Chris Pine/Jake Gyllenhaal/Nathan Fillion etc

Note: So far, I really don't see DC making a GL movie till JL hits theatres in 2017,

Time to get back on topic. Its probably going to be rebooted, seeing as the GL(Ryan) himself doesn't even want to come back. So yeah, recast Hal. There are so many better options than Ryan for Hal: Bradley Cooper/Chris Pine/Jake Gyllenhaal/Nathan Fillion etc

Note: So far, I really don't see DC making a GL movie till JL hits theatres in 2017,

It would be helpful if the Supes/Bats movie mentions the GLC or we see something like the GOTU sensing the destruction of Krypton.

Del Toro would be perfect for Green Lantern Corps (especially if he could get Elba and Kazinsky back for John and Guy). Here's hoping that Heimdall dies in Thor 2 or 3!
pacific-rim-1.jpg
Great casting! I don't want Heimdall to die, but if that's what it takes for this to happen, so be it!

Someone photoshop those pictures right now... and don't add masks.

Del Toro would be perfect for Green Lantern Corps (especially if he could get Elba and Kazinsky back for John and Guy).
pacific-rim-1.jpg

Those would be cool choices. I really want to see all 4 of the "major" Lanterns, even if I'm extremely nervous about Kyle's eventual casting. With my luck, he'd be played by Topher Grace and his costume would be:

zzkyle_zps9507e3a5.png
[/URL]

Now that this is a new thread, can it get renamed as the "Hal Jordan thread" considering Ryan Reynolds is 100% not coming back?

Well it's not 100% until they start filming with the new guy

Ryan pretty much said he isn't interested, and I couldn't be happier. :)

Last edited:
Yeah same. He should've been Flash in that Goyer Flash movie that never got made. It's a shame he became Green Lantern, and an even bigger shame that the script for that movie got as far as it did.

If one of the studio execs read the script before filming, it'd be pretty obvious that GL movie was gonna fail

Yeah same. He should've been Flash in that Goyer Flash movie that never got made. It's a shame he became Green Lantern, and an even bigger shame that the script for that movie got as far as it did.

If one of the studio execs read the script before filming, it'd be pretty obvious that GL movie was gonna fail

Geoff Johns should have written the story, with the studio only giving him advice on adapting it to fit the screenplay parameters. The 2nd part of the movie was conceived people who didn't understand the GLC or the things that make Hal/GL a great character. It came off like a rehash of Iron Man/Spider-man movie themes instead of unique GL themes.

Someone (or several people) didn't do enough reading before letting the script reach it's final version.

Has Johns or anybody else involved w/developing this movie done a post-flop interview about it?

Did Johns do a pre-release interview about it? I'd like to hear a direct account of his level of involvement w/this mess

Last edited:
Has Johns or anybody else involved w/developing this movie done a post-flop interview about it?

Did Johns do a pre-release interview about it? I'd like to hear a direct account of his level of involvement w/this mess

Here is brief quote. He and Tomasi were diplomatic, but I highly doubt he was the one who took screen time from Sinestro, had Hal quit the GLC, or had a bunch of Lanterns snuffed out without even naming them.

http://www.filmbuffonline.com/FBOLNewsreel/wordpress/2011/10/15/nycc-2011-dcs-geoff-johns-defends-green-lantern-film/

With Joel Kinnaman's popularity on the rise and waiting to see how he handles Robocop, I wouldn't mind it if he had a go at either playing Hal or Barry. I reckon he'd be awesome as Barry actually. ;)

So it's a yay for a recast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"