The Israel-Palestine Politics Thread II

China is trying something that Russia did not succeed at at a month or two ago.

They're hosting the leadership of the different Palestinian factions (Farah, Hamas, Islamic Jihad, etc) to try and encourage them to put aside their differences, and lead the Palestinian people with a single voice in this time of crisis.

It's a diplomatic initiative, which if successful would enhance the ability of the Palestinian people to represent themselves internationally.
Hope it does something, anything...... :(

Dissent shouldn't involve disorder. The Civil Rights Movement used passive resistance well. Breaking into buildings and breaking things isn't the right way to go.

Dissent shouldn't involve disorder. The Civil Rights Movement used passive resistance well. Breaking into buildings and breaking things isn't the right way to go.

They put MLK into prison. What’s more the exact building that they were holding, the Hinds building, was also held by Civil Rights protestors and Vietnam protestors. It is one of the most common forms of student protests.

I haven't seen a good explanation here or anywhere as to why the authorities are overreacting to the students. It really does seem to me that they'd be more effective ignoring them. To me it seems obvious that cracking down on them in extreme ways will serve to validate their points of view, credibility, and resolve.

I have a theory: it's that these protests are particularly ideologically dangerous. The students are protesting the sort of thing we're normally not allowed to debate. It's more dangerous than marching for something half the establishment supports. This is particularly so at Columbia, an ivy League institution, future senators and judges and CEOs are being socialized at Columbia, these are people that the system needs to believe in the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"