Red Steel Review

GoNintendo.com, in response to the GameSpot review:

Deux and I were playing Red Steel earlier, and discussing how well the game plays. Yes, it does have bugs, but we haven’t encountered anything that totally killed the game for us. I am not saying that we should let these bugs slide, but we are talking launch title here. On top of that, both of us agreed that Red Steel is just fun, and we continued to play a lot of it tonight. I picked up a PS3 and Resistance yesterday, but we spent waaaaaaaaay more time playing through Red Steel. The interactions with the controller, and the ideas behind the game just make it fun to play. Trust me, the game is not perfect, and I agree that it has glitches…but what is there shows promise and kept us coming back. I personally think that GameSpot is extra harsh just for the sake of being harsh.

http://gonintendo.com/?p=8846

Wait a second...gonintendo.com disagrees with a poor review for a key nintendo game? Shocker :wow:

This game sucks. Metroid and Zelda are both GOTY quality, so meh. The games I'm getting are still looking great.

TheGrayGhost said:
Low blow, even for me, and I hate Halo.:woot:

The IGN review should be up today, but I'm not making any promises.

What do you work for em or something?

Tetragrammaton said:
Wait a second...gonintendo.com disagrees with a poor review for a key nintendo game? Shocker :wow:
They don't glorify it as being a great game. They say it is fun and worth playing despite it's flaws. Much better than the anti-Wii dribble from GameSpot.

Spidey-Bat said:
They don't glorify it as being a great game. They say it is fun and worth playing despite it's flaws. Much better than the anti-Wii dribble from GameSpot.
So the Wii doesn't get ten 9.0 games and Gamespot is anti-Wii? When the Xbox360 came out and everything was getting 6.0s to 8.0s I don't remember anyone *****ing about it. Just play your crappy games like we did and wait for the good stuff.

Gamespot is not anti-Wii exactly.
They just give harsh reviews to every hyped game to appear 'cool', it doesn't matter which console.

WhatsHisFace said:
So the Wii doesn't get ten 9.0 games and Gamespot is anti-Wii?

No. If you've followed their coverage of it, you can tell they hate it and want to hate it. Look at other reviews of Nintendo games. They tend to bash the big games people are looking forward to.

When the Xbox360 came out and everything was getting 6.0s to 8.0s I don't remember anyone *****ing about it. Just play your crappy games like we did and wait for the good stuff.
The Wii doesn't have crappy games. Already the Wii has more good games than the 360 did at launch (Call of Duty 2).

Gammy79 said:
They just give harsh reviews to every hyped game to appear 'cool', it doesn't matter which console.

MGS2 - 9.6
Halo 2 - 9.4
Oblivion - 9.6
Gears of War - 9.6
Metroid Prime - 9.6
Half-Life 2 - 9.2

...and MANY more. Heck, Red Steel was nowhere near as hyped as those games, so no, GS's score has nothing to do with putting down "hyped" games to appear "cool" or anything.

Gammy79 said:
Or they're just rating games as they see them so that people don't say "OMG Gamespot said this would be awesome" and then it sucks, disappointing people greatly.

I remember when Gamespot gave Brute "The Next Halo" Force a 7.6 I freaked out, like you Nintendo fanboys, but looking back, that's what it deserved.

Same with SplinterCell. 8.6 and I was pissed, but now I feel the same way.

Spidey-Bat said:
No. If you've followed their coverage of it, you can tell they hate it and want to hate it.

Would you mind posting quotes from GS's coverage with links that prove they hate the Wii and want to hate it?

Fenrir said:
MGS2 - 9.6
Halo 2 - 9.4
Oblivion - 9.6
Gears of War - 9.6
Metroid Prime - 9.6
Half-Life 2 - 9.2

...and MANY more. Heck, Red Steel was nowhere near as hyped as those games, so no, GS's score has nothing to do with putting down "hyped" games to appear "cool" or anything.

Yeah you're probably right there, although the only one I don't agree with is Halo 2 (which IMO should have been an 8.9 or 9.0).

I don't know, I just don't like their review style, there's just something about the way they write sometimes, especially Jeff's.

But yeah, I still think they want to appear too hard sometimes just for the sake of it, so instead of doing the arguement thing, let's just agree to disagree :meow: :cmad:

Why you guys are getting SO upset over what GameSpot says is beyond me. They're not the be all/end all of review sites. I've always, always ignored them, like EGM I consider them a joke. They think themselves as the gaming "elite" when they're far from it.

They normally ALWAYS give the lowest scores, because it's cool to do that. They're the preps of the video game world.

WhatsHisFace said:
Or they're just rating games as they see them so that people don't say "OMG Gamespot said this would be awesome" and then it sucks, disappointing people greatly.

I remember when Gamespot gave Brute "The Next Halo" Force a 7.6 I freaked out, like you Nintendo fanboys, but looking back, that's what it deserved.

Same with SplinterCell. 8.6 and I was pissed, but now I feel the same way.

You....called me a Nintendo fanboy....
You....WHF.....my friend.....

*slits wrists*

Gammy79 said:
Yeah you're probably right there, although the only one I don't agree with is Halo 2 (which IMO should have been an 8.9 or 9.0).

I don't know, I just don't like their review style, there's just something about the way they write sometimes, especially Jeff's.

But yeah, I still think they want to appear too hard sometimes just for the sake of it, so instead of doing the arguement thing, let's just agree to disagree :meow: :cmad:

I've said it in the case of Resistance as well - out of all the major publications and gaming websites, the only one I tend to agree with more often than not is Gamespot. And to me, it's a good thing they're a bunch of picky bastards because I'm not easy to impress either. Sometimes I can't stand the likes of IGN and GI, who I think are generally way too easy on games with ridiculously high scores.

Fenrir said:
MGS2 - 9.6
Halo 2 - 9.4
Oblivion - 9.6
Gears of War - 9.6
Metroid Prime - 9.6
Half-Life 2 - 9.2

Nintendo games. I was referring more to TP than Red Steel. With Red Steel, they over exaggerate the glitches and bugs and write it off as bad.

Fenrir said:
Would you mind posting quotes from GS's coverage with links that prove they hate the Wii and want to hate it?

Yes because I don't have the time to search through 6 months worth of Wii coverage.

It's mind blowing how the gaming community reacts to a bad review. As soon as a game you like gets a bad review, all of a sudden the whole world is biased against you, the publisher, the franchise, the developer, the system, whatever. It's really quite ridiculous. Gamespot doesn't hate the Wii. Gamespot didn't give Red Steel a bad score because it hates the Wii, nor because it wants to look "cool", and anyone who believes that is frankly a moron. Gamespot gave Red Steel a five because it's a mediocre game if you aren't the kind of person who's entertained solely by controller gimmicks.

I guess they momentarily forgot their "bias" when they gave Zelda an 8.8 and called it "great", right?

I don't think people are moaning about the 8.8, it was the TONE of Jeff's review. He's an ass and came off as such, it just wasn't a good review. I didn't get much from it other then "I didn't really want to play this" and "I'm afraid of the Wiimote."

Fenrir said:
I've said it in the case of Resistance as well - out of all the major publications and gaming websites, the only one I tend to agree with more often than not is Gamespot. And to me, it's a good thing they're a bunch of picky bastards because I'm not easy to impress either. Sometimes I can't stand the likes of IGN and GI, who I think are generally way too easy on games with ridiculously high scores.

I generally agree with GameSpot. But often, this is the case with just about EVERY reviewing magazine/site, they take out all their anger and hatred on 1 game, over exaggerating on it's weaknesses and brushing over what makes it great. IGN did it with Kingdom Hearts 2, GI did it with Paper Mario TYD, and GameSpot did it with Mario Sunshine. There are more cases but those are the ones I remember most. This is why I read multiple reviews. I suggest you do the same. You may be missing out on a game just because one site bashed it.

Tetragrammaton said:
I guess they momentarily forgot their "bias" when they gave Zelda an 8.8 and called it "great", right?

8.8 isn't great. The great at the bottom doesn't describe the score. Again, it is Jeff's petty complaints and sarcastic tone throughout his review that reduces it credibility.

Gammy79 said:
You....called me a Nintendo fanboy....
You....WHF.....my friend.....

*slits wrists*
I double spaced to start an EXTREMELY new paragraph. :(

Hahaha, he edited his post in response to mine. I always love when that happens :O

You guys are right though. They gave it a score higher than what 99% of games get, how dare they, those anti-Nintendo heathens!

I can't believe how pathetic this is getting.

You guys are acting like they gave it a 4.0 or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"