Resident Evil: The Final Chapter

This should be the last Alice outing. This is like the 2nd time they've tried to sorta retire that character.

‘Resident Evil’ Rocks China With Record $94.3M Debut – International Box Office
Screen Gems/Constantin Films’ Resident Evil: The Final Chapter blazed into China this weekend with a $94.3M debut to score the biggest-ever FSS opening in the market for an import. The Milla Jovovich-led epic zombie battle is also the No. 2 FSS launch for all films, behind 2015’s Lost In Hong Kong. As Anita Busch reported on Friday, the Paul W.S. Anderson-helmed sixth installment had an opening day Middle Kingdom gross of $33M, the third-highest ever for a Hollywood film.

The sensational China debut for The Final Chapter — whose title may end up being premature given these outsize grosses — catapults the market into the lead position, overtaking traditional No. 1 hub Japan. The film was released in China through Constantin’s local partner Leomus Pictures and benefited from a very targeted campaign with early in-cinema materials and advertising during the heavily-trafficked Chinese New Year holidays. Jovovich also attended Hong Kong’s CineAsia where she met members Chinese exhibition community and received the franchise achievement award with her director/husband Anderson.

The $40M movie was built for international audiences and is showing its strength at offshore turnstiles with a $212M cume to date which makes it the biggest of the franchise on a constant currency basis. In total this weekend, the gross was $97M from 21,200+ screens in 51 markets. Including domestic, the worldwide cume is $239M. The current leader among its predecessors is 2010’s Resident Evil: Afterlife with $296.2M.

In late January, Final Chapter helped push the full series across $1B worldwide to become the biggest video-game-based franchise of all time.

China has something against Star Wars, haha. Rogue One barely got 60 million over there.

China has something against Star Wars, haha. Rogue One barely got 60 million over there.

They don't have the history with the characters the rest of the world has. They didn't see the ORIGINAL TRILOGY until after the PREQUEL TRILOGY was released....and the PT turned off a lot of people...so not a giant fan base there like everywhere else.

See I've heard that it's the other way around. They saw the Prequels first and actually enjoyed them more than the Originals, and the current turn off is because the newer films have veered off from the asthetic and style of the PT.

Wow the numbers in China are insane! I enjoy this franchise and I'm glad it's doing good even though the movie was disappointing. Milla Jovovich and Paul WS Anderson have been saying since the production of Retribution that they wanted the sixth film to be the last one so I don't think they're coming back to the franchise.

However I think Sony will most likely reboot it in a couple of years but who knows how well that would do since it's very clear that Milla is a huge draw for the franchise. Not only that but considering the track record of video game movies a reboot would probably be worse because say what you want about Paul WS but he clearly got something right as this is the ONLY successful videogame franchise.

why do the Chinese eat this crap up?

I'm gonna be so pissed if we get another one. Enough. Let it die. I don't even want a faithful reboot anymore. Just let it die.

The one before this was supposed to be "the final chapter"

The China numbers are insane, and I thought it wouldn't hit over $300 million worldwide.

Its great for Sony and I hope they realize that with a more faithful adaptation they could earn more. So reboot with adapting Re1 and introduce Chris, Jill, Barry, Wesker, Rebecca, Forest, Enrico and thatguy that was beaten by a large snake.

They don't have the history with the characters the rest of the world has. They didn't see the ORIGINAL TRILOGY until after the PREQUEL TRILOGY was released....and the PT turned off a lot of people...so not a giant fan base there like everywhere else.

See I've heard that it's the other way around. They saw the Prequels first and actually enjoyed them more than the Originals, and the current turn off is because the newer films have veered off from the asthetic and style of the PT.

Yeah, the Prequels's aesthetic actualy seemed much more to their liking. They seem to value CGI effects more than pratical. If you look at the films that are making a load of money there, it's clear that their perception of what is "quality cinema" is quite different. I mean, just when it come to fight scenes, the Anakin vs Obi-Wan battle in Episode III seems much more like something they would enjoy than the shorter and less over-the-top Episode VII Kylo Ren vs Rey fight.

The one before this was supposed to be "the final chapter"

Ummm nope, the sixth film was always intended to be the last one.

The China numbers are insane, and I thought it wouldn't hit over $300 million worldwide.

Its great for Sony and I hope they realize that with a more faithful adaptation they could earn more. So reboot with adapting Re1 and introduce Chris, Jill, Barry, Wesker, Rebecca, Forest, Enrico and thatguy that was beaten by a large snake.

Would they really? As far as the general audience is concerned the movies are the real Resident Evil, the games are popular but they don't have the wider reach and success of the films.

What a B movie this was. Acting atrocious (beside Iain Glen who looked like Oscar nominee compared to rest of the cast), directing below average, script no existent, actions scenes choped off like there is no tommorow. Glad this franchise ended as I silently waiting for true reboot with original characters and storyline. And this is coming from someone who enjoyed some of few popcorn Resident Evil flicks we had.

There was so many fast edits in the action sequences. Felt like the movie was edited by someone on a cocaine and red bull binge.

What a B movie this was. Acting atrocious (beside Iain Glen who looked like Oscar nominee compared to rest of the cast), directing below average, script no existent, actions scenes choped off like there is no tommorow. Glad this franchise ended as I silently waiting for true reboot with original characters and storyline. And this is coming from someone who enjoyed some of few popcorn Resident Evil flicks we had.
I finally watched this last night and all of that sums up what I was going to say. All the bad editing, the poorly thought out story, how quite obviously rushed it was. This felt like the dregs of an empty tank being scraped together in order to sell one last movie. Which of course is the truth.

They were never great movies to begin with, most of them barely made it to passable and only the first and maybe the third (or was it fourth?) were what I would call good by b-level standards. For a last call of this series (incarnation) it was a major letdown.

This was awful and felt like someone's fan video edited together with deleted scenes and hungover cast members from the previous movies who had nothing else to do over the weekend.

Worse still is it was a handheld camera filmed, edited and done by Anderson. I hate shaky-cam and it's cousin, sloppy handheld cam.

So I finally watched this. As someone who really liked the first movie, did not like #2, quite enjoyed #3 and 4 as dumb over the top action movies and barely got through #5 because the entire movie was in slow motion, I, nevertheless was really looking forward to The Final Chapter. All I wanted was a stupid, fun, over the top action movie. That's all. That's ALL, Mr. Paul W.S. Anderson.

Well, guess what? I turned the movie off after 30 minutes and I'm sending this piece of **** back to Netflix. This movie made me angry, and that is saying something because I NEVER get angry at movies, I am an easy lay. The last time I got legitimately angry with a movie was Lucy (but thats a conversation for another thread). I could not finish this movie for one reason: the editing. What in the actual **** was Anderson thinking? WTF is up with how this movie was cut and edited?! The action sequences are literally incoherent, you cannot tell what the **** is going on. And for a movie series that lives and dies on its action sequences, that is a FATAL blow. Anderson is capable of filming good action scenes, I loved all of the crazy ass stunts Milla was doing in Afterlife, that **** was entertaining and FILMED competently. I realized that if I cannot even make out, much less ENJOY the action in this movie then there is no point in continuing the film.

I am so pissed off right now, it takes a lot for me to say "**** it" and just give up 1/3rd of the way through a film. Even most bad movies I'll stick it through as long as the movie is coherent and somewhat competently made. This is incompetence incarnate.

-10/10 F this movie.

Last edited:
One the producers for the REboot, he worked on RE2 (game), said they want to go more action-oriented with the REboot. Moreso than the Anderson movies.

One the producers for the REboot, he worked on RE2 (game), said they want to go more action-oriented with the REboot. Moreso than the Anderson movies.

I dont know what this means. Anderson movies were already more action oriented than any of the games. And with each sequel they rev up action element more in same time downsized elements of horror. More actions means likely we will see same crap we watched, instead going back to roots what resident evil is. Slow, creepy, tension building, cut from the world horror (and limited resources) with mystery behind it,and we getting "cool fun flick" shooting zombies on wire.

So if this is true, I can say hype is dead. Not interested.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a Hunter and some Chimeras, the Chimeras preferably done with puppets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"