Resistance 3

My favorite was still R2. It doesnt help that R3 was the worst, and by far the buggiest game Ive ever played in my history of gaming. Im optimistic in a new developer. I hope Sony doesnt just let the franchise die as it has with some of its other IPs. Im fine with not seeing another Resistance game this gen, but I hope it comes back on the PS4

Though I'm not really a fan of Resistance (my friend is, though), I gotta say, it takes a lot to actually confirm a game franchise's end face to face. Not to mention end it on a specific point, rather than continue to milk it. So, Insmoniac continues to get my respect.

I still can't believe your bad luck with R3. :csad:
same here and despite that, it didnt make me think negatively about it. You could really tell Insomniac poured alot into it and I felt it was the best shooter of the year. My first run playthrough was at least relatively well but after I beat it that first time, it all went downhill. I wish I could say maybe it was just me having an older PS3, but Ive never had any issues quite like that with any other game. Still from my initial impressions, I really did prefer R2

Though I'm not really a fan of Resistance (my friend is, though), I gotta say, it takes a lot to actually confirm a game franchise's end face to face. Not to mention end it on a specific point, rather than continue to milk it. So, Insmoniac continues to get my respect.

no one said the franchise is over. All we know is that Insomniac wont be working on it and considering they arent a Sony first party studio, they dont have to. There still could be more games in the future. The next game is coming onto the Vita. For all we know, Sony could end up letting Nihilistic make the next console release. Its a very similar situation with Bungie and Halo. Just bc they said they wouldnt be making anymore Halo games, didnt mean there wouldnt be any as MS just gave it to the next studio.

Here's a quick video from Ted Price.

[YT]EGnh9ze5KTQ[/YT]

I hope THE LIZARD#1 is taking the news ok. He is a big fan.

Haha I'm not taking the news well. This, in short, is a HUGE disappointment for me! But then again, I can see where they are coming from. In my opinion, Resistance went down hill after the first one.

Now for the long response...

I know a lot of people disagree but I think Fall of Man is still the best installment out of the franchise. I feel had Insomniac stayed true to the original roots established in Fall of Man, the franchise would have been considered one of the greats amongst the industry. Tall order, I know. However, I strongly believe it to be true.

Not many gamers can see the brilliance that was Fall of Man. Many disliked it for the arcade esque mechanics. But, in todays market, it's interesting to see that returning to the more archaic game mechanics were a huge plus for some. I feel Fall of Man did everything the best. While Insomniac failed to touch on a lot of the story elements in the actual game, that was one of the benefits to being a super fan. I know A LOT about this franchise. Many Insomniacs feel I know the franchise better than most employees. :O

I feel that's one of the reasons why the franchise enticed me the way it has. Unfortunately though, Insomniac didn't manage to craft that brilliance into the actual game experience. The lore of Resistance is extensive and that's why I'm very saddened to hear they won't be making a fourth. There are still so many questions left unanswered and the franchise had a TON of potential.

But, as I said before, I feel this is the right move. After Fall of Man, the franchise went downhill. I felt TJ Fixman penned a terrible story for the second installment and it plummeted into a generic mess. It was also suffering identity issues. The glorified mechanics Modern Warfare established began bleeding over into this franchise. Like I said, if they stayed with what they originally had I feel this franchises outcome could have been different.

Resistance 3 was a step in the right direction. While I was highly disappointed with the final product, and I'm not talking about the bugs that plague it, it was the weakest Insomniac title I've played. Drew Murray did a phenomenal job with the controls though. That to me was one of the strongest elements of Resistance 3.

But as a whole, the game fell short. I felt the mentality the team had for Resistance 2 should have been for Resistance 3 and vice versa. Resistance 3 was nothing more than a refined experience. They didn't push the franchise to bigger heights. Instead, they played it safe. The weapons were a disappointment for me. Most were just re-skinned weapons from previous installments.

Wildfire- LAARK
Mutator- Sapper
Deadeye- Fareye
Atomizer- Arc Charger

Other disappointments from Resistance 3 were...

- No new Chimeran strains to combat
- The lore of Resistance wasn't explored further
- Characters touched on in previous installments did not make appearances. *Except for a small radio easter egg featuring Lt. Cartwright*
- Takes place in the United States.

and a multitude of other things I could ramble on about but I'll spare everyone.

Basically, I felt Resistance was nothing more than an identity crisis. The franchises continuity was for crap. With that being said, I felt Resistance 3 was starting to become the turning point. Had Insomniac stuck to their guns and put one more installment out, I bet it would have been the best in the series.

Recipe for a successful Resistance 4...

- Take R: FOM's story telling/presentation
- R: FOM art direction
- The ambitions of R2
- Resistance 3's tight controls
- R: FOM's game mechanics
- Resistance 3's graphics
- R: FOM's sound/music

and you pretty much had a solid title. I'm just disappointed this franchise will never reach the true potential it started with. I feel Insomniac decided to abandon this franchise because the going got tough and they painted themselves into a corner. They continued on when there was no more enthusiasm for the project.

That is the only reason why I'm seeing it acceptable to discontinue the franchise. They are doing Resistance fans a favor by not running it into the ground. Sure the end to the franchise was anticlimactic and terrible and didn't really go out with a bang but I'll settle for a whimper any day of the week.

I'm disappointed with how Insomniac treated the Resistance franchise but I think being an uber fan also has its disadvantages. The fact that Resistance was shrouded in mystery makes your mind wonder. You started putting pieces together and trying to answer the questions yourself. I feel the answered questions I was envisioning were probably going to be better than the official answer Insomniac would have provided. In a way, it would have probably turned out to be a LOST experience for me. So I can commend Insomniac's efforts and say I look forward to what the future has in-store from them.

"This year we’ve been rolling out some great value offerings for PS3 owners who may have missed some of our past classics, from God of War Saga to the Ratchet & Clank Collection. Today, we’re happy to announce that we have yet another sweet collection coming your way this winter — The Resistance Collection.

8052124236_16dee726e1_z.jpg

The Resistance Collection will include all three of the critically acclaimed PS3 Resistance games from Insomniac Games – Resistance: Fall of Man, Resistance 2, and Resistance 3. You’ll also get extra bonus DLC content for Resistance 2 and Resistance 3 so you can play with all of the best DLC from both games, including the Aftermath Pack and skin bundle from Resistance 2, and both the Brutality and Survival Packs from Resistance 3. For those of you who missed out on Nathan Hale and Joseph Capelli’s battle against the Chimeran invasion, this is a great chance to get all three games for just $39.99 and enjoy the exotic weapons and frenetic multiplayer action the series is known for.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/10/04/resistance-collection-hits-ps3-this-winter/

As a trilogy pack that's a pretty enticing offer. I'd love to tackle the whole series for the first time in one sitting.

Sony is hitting up all their major franchises. I can only imagine the Unharted set will be announced next year.

They'll have to distance it a bit from the GOTY edition of 3 first, yeah. Has the US got a Killzone trilogy coming like the EU does? Also needs MotorStorm and should talk with SEGA about a Yakuza set.

Yeah I think sony announced a few weeks ago that the US is getting a killzone trilogy

"This year we’ve been rolling out some great value offerings for PS3 owners who may have missed some of our past classics, from God of War Saga to the Ratchet & Clank Collection. Today, we’re happy to announce that we have yet another sweet collection coming your way this winter — The Resistance Collection.

8052124236_16dee726e1_z.jpg

The Resistance Collection will include all three of the critically acclaimed PS3 Resistance games from Insomniac Games – Resistance: Fall of Man, Resistance 2, and Resistance 3. You’ll also get extra bonus DLC content for Resistance 2 and Resistance 3 so you can play with all of the best DLC from both games, including the Aftermath Pack and skin bundle from Resistance 2, and both the Brutality and Survival Packs from Resistance 3. For those of you who missed out on Nathan Hale and Joseph Capelli’s battle against the Chimeran invasion, this is a great chance to get all three games for just $39.99 and enjoy the exotic weapons and frenetic multiplayer action the series is known for.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/10/04/resistance-collection-hits-ps3-this-winter/
Anyone buying this just be aware they are pulling the servers for all 3 Resistance games in a few months in case you care about online.

I know it's farfetched but, I really hope someone picks up the reigns for this franchise for the next generation. There was honestly just too much potential with this universe to go out the way it did.

IA, especially after the disappointment that was Killzone Shadowfall. Guerilla is working on a new IP and if it isn't a FPS, then Sony will no longer have its own FPS series. Id love for them to bring Resistance to the PS4. Id really be interesting in seeing a game set decades after R3. Like a modern day take where the Chimera manage to reinvade earth

See, that's the beauty of this franchise...it's self-sustaining. While you can say that for most intellectual properties, there's a logic to Resistance's mythology. I know most fans may not understand just how deep the rabbit hole goes but, the events leading up to the launch of Resistance: Fall of Man back in 2006, Insomniac fleshed out an extensive background canvas for the game to take place in.

There are a number of stories that could be explored/demand to be explored. It's not your typical "Hey we kinda want to do more games but we don't know what kind of story we want to tell." Resistance could easily go the prequel route in my opinion. Personally, I feel as though there is an underlying demand. It also lends, creatively, an exciting tale for gamers to play.

Similar to Halo: Reach, while gamers will know the outcome, it would be interesting to be able to "live" the events of the Chimera invading. Either in Russia or when the Chimera launch their attack on Europe. To have that contrast of life existing before the Chimera and then by the end of the game see how they're influencing the environment, that could be powerful stuff!

Also the whole Cloven lore of the Resistance mythology is intriguing. It'd be kind of cool to see their story/partake in it. Retribution did some interesting things with The Cloven but, at least for me, it wasn't a proper representation of what Resistance was about. The franchise, and I hate to admit it, kind of stagnated from what made it so promising after Fall of Man. I understand that having access to Chimeran technology would advance mankind almost exponentially but, again just my opinion, I feel that's what made the first game so intriguing/promising.

It wasn't just a "Call of Duty World War II shooter with Aliens" it had heart and soul. It had this antagonizing force that didn't really have self preservation. They were a well oiled machine that absolutely ravaged anything that stood before it. The Chimera didn't have that same ferocity in my eyes in Resistance 2 and 3.

While I do like the possibility of a future Resistance game, if there are ever plans to make one, take place in modern time would be interesting. I can't deny that. However, I definitely hope the franchise returns to it's roots of an alternate history/period piece. Just didn't make sense to me why you'd have a game take place in the 50's era if you just wanted to interject a bunch of modern technology.

But again, just my opinion. Here's hoping Insomniac makes Resistance 4. They've gone on record to say that it may have been premature to say "No more Resistance." You never know what your thoughts are going to be a few years down the road. ;)

Last edited:
I'd love to see another Resistance. I'm a BIG WWII buff but I'd like to see a reboot... maybe set during the Civil War? It would allow us to play during that time period (I always wanted a good Civil War game..) with, you know... Not muskets.

I'd also like to see a reboot set in Vietnam.

I LOVE the WWII era.. but it'w been so long since a Resistance game that IMHO they'd almost have to reboot it.

It hasn't been that long. Not counting Burning Skies, its been 2 and a half years since R3

Still.. In todays gaming world if you go longer than a year between games...

Moving to next gen consoles... I think a reboot is a good idea. I'm not saying DO it as I would be fine with R4.. but I don't see Sony putting many numbers in their next gen console games. They didn't with Killzone, They aren't with inFAMOUS.. Heck I don't even see Uncharted 4 being called Uncharted 4.. I'd expect Uncharted: Whatever The Want To Put After It.

I'd expect the same for Resistance.. and while Killzone isn't a full on reboot... It kind of was. Not in that it did away with the past.. just, didn't expect you to really know any of it. With the amount of people new to PlayStation this gen.. I'd expect, at the very least, a different story set in maybe the same world.. A different era...

While I agree with Havok, I definitely understand your logic Ben. That being said, I really hope they don't reboot the Resistance universe. It's my belief, each game already felt like a reboot in and of itself. The second one strayed a little ways away from the originality of the first and then the third, while definitely a fine achievement in a technical standpoint for Insomniac, shifted away from the Chimeran war theme.

The franchise was unfortunately an uncohesive mess. The time gaps definitely didn't help the stories either. Maybe that's just me though but I always felt time gaps are nothing more than a cop out. They tend to feel, and I know this may not be the case but, like the writer couldn't show the character development themselves. So they throw you in and right away you're just supposed to accept things.

I believe R2 would have been a lot more successful, story wise, if they literally continued after R: FOM and kept it going. Players should have experienced Hale meeting The Sentinels and watch as their relationships grew. That's why Naughty Dog is so successful with emotion resonating stories. So everyone's death at the end could have definitely been a lot more impactful.

Then again though, I didn't really like the idea of Sentinels. It just seemed like a nod to Halo. I wish Hale would have been the only one immune and you just fought alongside bad ass Black Operative soldiers who, unfortunately, were highly toned down in Resistance 2 thanks to the inclusion of Sentinels.

I'll never forget the first time I saw the dead Black Operative in Northern Command. Those designs were so bad ass and, I'm assuming it's Steve Blum, voice acting over the radio was chilling. This franchise had such potential. It could have gone places and left an intriguing mark. Really hope it's able to fill that.

I'd like for it to stay in the 40's - 50's era personally. Or, as Insomniac stated, take the game behind the Red Curtain of Russia and experience a World War I era of Russia that never progressed do to the Chimera.

Still.. In todays gaming world if you go longer than a year between games...

Moving to next gen consoles... I think a reboot is a good idea. I'm not saying DO it as I would be fine with R4.. but I don't see Sony putting many numbers in their next gen console games. They didn't with Killzone, They aren't with inFAMOUS.. Heck I don't even see Uncharted 4 being called Uncharted 4.. I'd expect Uncharted: Whatever The Want To Put After It.

I'd expect the same for Resistance.. and while Killzone isn't a full on reboot... It kind of was. Not in that it did away with the past.. just, didn't expect you to really know any of it. With the amount of people new to PlayStation this gen.. I'd expect, at the very least, a different story set in maybe the same world.. A different era...
Outside of sports, there arent many gaming series that are released annually besides AC and CoD, so I dont see the issue. Today's audience isnt that short-minded that the past of a very recent gaming series needs to be erased bc it hasnt been around in a few short years. Reboots are generally done when a game has been gone for a long time (like 10+), its gotten way too convoluted, or the previous formula simply wasnt working and they need to switch things up. Resistance doesnt really fall into any of those.

None of those are reboots, which you acknowledge. Having a number at the end doesnt distinguish a game from a reboot or sequel. My idea of having a Resistance game take several decades past the end of 3 would serve a similar purpose. You might consider that a reboot, and I guess I can see that but its still a sequel, much like KZ:SF was

Last edited:
KZ was called a semi reboot by the developer.. They said it's still a sequel but one that's "lightly tied" to the events of the past.

I don't really view a reboot as only taking something and changing it completely.. I think they could also be something set in the same Universe with little to no connection to previous entries.. Brings in new players without alienating them if you will..

I would see setting a Resistance game several decades in the future as a semi reboot. Sure it could have ties to the past games but they probably wouldn't be hard ties.

I just think a LOT of the sequels we'll see on PS4 won't have direct connections to previous entries in the series. I'm sure there will be things in inFAMOUS and Uncharted that we'll notice but I doubt they're anything that will be so connected to past games that new players won't understand.

Same would go for a new Resistance game.. More so since more and more people that didn't have a ps3 now own PS4's.

That being said.. I was never sure why Sony was always so focused on Killzone and not Resistance. Killzone has always been dull and lifeless to me. Sure it's always looked cool, but other than that? *yawn*

Would anyone be up for getting on some Resistance multiplayer one of these nights since Sony is shutting down the servers? I'd really like to play a few rounds of R:FOM online before they go down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"